X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pine fines?

I'm thinking of making a lot of soil for my pots. I need to fill about 20, 15 gallon pots, so for cost sake and my marriage I'm hoping to save some money by mixing my own. I've been having problems finding Fine Bark, but found a place that has screened Pine fines, is this the same? And if there is anyone in northern VA who knows of a place to get the Fine Bark, would appreciate what you are getting and where. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by twovkay; 03-20-2015, 04:56 PM. Reason: Fixing sentences.
    Von, Northern VA 7a

I'm somewhat in the same boat. I still have a few months to go but was also looking up where to buy large amounts of pine bark fines. The only lead I got was from GW posts that said Lowe's "Soil Conditioner" was pretty much pine bark fines. I think the posts were a few years ago so, I'm lost too.
    Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

Alma, thanks for the heads up on Lowes soil conditioner. I might have to try a bag to see if it's the same.
      Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Pine fines = pine bark fines. Look at the product, is probably pine bark, you just don't want a lot of wood. Check for size of the particles
        Ed
        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Great thanks Ed!
          Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Walmart sells the pine fines. Purple bag labeled just pine mulch. It is available in most of the walmarts east of the Mississippi. Comes out of the Carolinas so Virginia it should be readily available.

Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

Thanks Wills! Another option and probably cheaper by far.
              Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Von, I get pine fines from Behnke's Nursery in Beltsville, MD. The product is called "pine bark mulch" and is made by Kamlar Corporation. Here is their website: http://www.kamlar.com/KamPBmulch.html
                Steve
                D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Last year, my first up potting a bunch of cuttings, I tried 7 different brands of 'pine bark' products. What I found to have the best quality was 'Pine Bark Mulch' sold by Agway. It had better consistency of size and less pine wood or rocks or tar balls or pieces of plastic than others. Many fig growers recommended that brand on F4F forum last year, and it seemed best to me. I'm not sure how widespread the Agway chain is geographically.
                  Ed
                  SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Suwanee River products at HD sells pine bark fines. I mix equal with coarse sand and milled peat moss. I use it for rooting and potting. I thinking the same mix aids in the potting up challenge.
                    Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

Von, there is a company in Lancaster county called P.L. Rohrer that makes (among many other things) bagged mulch. I've used their products, if you can't find it otherwise maybe give them a call and see who they sell to in your area?
                      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                      SE PA
                      Zone 6

Comment

You're looking for about 50 cubic feet or 2 cu yards. You might find it cheaper to get it delivered to your house from a bulk company. I like the large chunk pine bark the best. There's usually plenty of smaller sizes from all the jostling. I google 'landscape mulch' to find the suppliers near me. Even if there's a delivery fee it's still cheaper than buying 2 cu' bags.
                        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

I have to agree with Ed. I use the pine bark mulch sold by Agway as pine fines. I was very happy with the size of the particles and it had very little wood pieces.
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                          Last edited by lifigs; 03-22-2015, 07:56 AM.
                          Bill - Long Island, NY 7a
                          Wish List: Glacia Negra and any fig from Bari.

Comment

Agway is not available in our area. And I don't think anyone has it available in bulk, so I'm stuck with bags.
                            Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

I found the two following items at Walmart . $5 for the potting soil and $1.27 for the humus which is mostly pine bark fines! Both great products!
                              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Darkman
                                Darkman commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Good price on the humus.

• Chrisk
                                Chrisk commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Oh I know. I went back to grab a few more bags( it was realy good quality) and came home empty handed! All gome! . I have to check out a couple of other stores tomorrow.
                                Last edited by Chrisk; 03-23-2015, 06:31 PM.

I have a supplier that sells "potting mix" which is mostly composted pine bark for $65.00 a yard. Used to be $50.00. I can get two yards on my truck F150. If I could find the wholesaler I would buy twenty yards. Good stuff.
                              Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

Working...
                              X