X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Brebas?

Checking on the greenhouse today, so far the following varieties have brebas:

Desert King
    CdDB
    Flanders
    Bifere
    Black Ischia
    Fico Preto
    Brogiotto Nero
    Excel
    Sodus Sicilian
    Black Madeira
    JH Adriatic
    Black Mission
    VdB

How about everyone else?
    Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
    Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Man, you're mean. I'll have to poach a few since you're at least a month ahead of me.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

Age old question... how many brebas to leave on. My head says pull em all off, but my heart screams NOOOOOOO!

Comment

Leave some Sodus on for sure, we can compare that to some other potential EBT variants like we talked about.

I'd definitely take all the breba off your Desert King though .
        https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
        SE PA
        Zone 6

Comment

I have lots of breba on my in-ground trees and potted trees here. Some varieties seem very productive with breba crop. I don't plan to remove any brebas until I eat them. My Longue d'Aout trees have some brebas but not as many as I expected. For some reason I was thinking it produced more brebas than what I have.
          My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

• PA Figs
            PA Figs commented
            Editing a comment
            Harvey with your long season I imagine you don't have to worry about removing brebas like us in the Northeast!

• HarveyC
            HarveyC commented
            Editing a comment
            That's right, though I'm wondering if I maybe should think some just to increase size and speed up ripening.

Kelby I had one that I think was a breba from it last year. The shape and color of it was what made me think it wasn't EBT, but I should get some better samples this year since the tree exploded with growth in the fall.

Comment

Nick

Don't see why you would remove breba in a greenhouse, the early start means you will not be draining the strength of the plant in a short growing season. Also, even if you are showing some breba now, we all know some will inevitably drop, like Preto, which to my knowledge, has never kept a breba to full ripeness. Leave 'em on!
            Rafael
            Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

LOL. Yesterday we had snow. Today its in the 50s and all the snow is gone. I up potted/ root pruned 3 figs and trimmed all my shrubbery. All of my trees are still dormant, but I did have a couple of brebas on cuttings (edit: indoors) which I quickly cut off.
              Last edited by drphil69; 03-21-2015, 07:07 PM.
              Phil
              Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Hey Yall.
                Brebas on
                Peters Honey
                Black Jack
                Unk Folly beach green
                Unk Folly beach Black
                Black mission
                LSU Purple( although I think it will drop them)

Comment

I am super bummed! !! I was shuffling the trees out of the garage for the day. ... I knocked off my one and only breba.....
                  Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• PA Figs
                    PA Figs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't be too upset, very few brebas are any good, especially compared to main crop.

After a long winter without fresh figs brebas are really appreciated by me.
                  I have had some surprisingly nice tasting brebas.
                  Most of the in-ground ones seem to fall off on their own.
                  Pino, Niagara, Zone 6, WL; variegated figs, breba producers & suggestions welcome
                  Breba photos / Main crop fig photos
                  Canada Fig Growers

Comment

Troiano Calabrese, Longue d'Aout, Abruzzese all in pots, all with brebas. I think Chiapetta, too.
                    Dale

Comment

Forgot to mention Brunswick. They are both loaded with brebas although still dormant!
                      Darn it Scott. Sorry about your loss! I hope you get an awesome main crop!
                      Pino,I noticed the same on my inground trees. Somehow they shed the Breba but produce a bumper main crop!
                      Dale,some cool varieties there. I hope they get to rippen all those Breba figs so that you can post the pics for us!

Comment

• PA Figs
                        PA Figs commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Do they shed, or does something get them? I noticed every one of my brebas dropped last year, but never saw any on the ground.

• Chrisk
                        Chrisk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        On what variety Johnny? Some varieties very seldom ,if ever, produce or ripen Breba figs! My LSU Purple always comes out of dormancy starting with Breba figs and then buds but always sheds (drops) them when they are still tiny. Never ever ever drops any of the first or second main crop figs although some of the second main crop are too late and do not ripen!

• PA Figs
                        PA Figs commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Last year I remember my conadria and negronne brebas all went missing. I don't remember other varieties...

Not that they will all stay on, but this is what I have noticed so far and most my trees are still in the garage just thinking about or barely breaking dormancy.
                      Union Berry Unk. , Petite Negra(RT), Lattarola, Battaglia, Atreano, RdB. I'm sure there are more, but this is just what I have noticed. I have other trees that I remove breaba from every year which haven't really started to wake up yet.
                      Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                      Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• Chrisk
                        Chrisk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nice varieties Calvin. I hope you get to pick each and every one of them! It is a horrible feeling to see a little fig sag ,droop and fall!

LSU Gold
                      Vista
                      maybe Celeste
                      Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

Darkman. My inground celeste are full of Breba embrios also this year. Curious to see if any of them ripen. The first year I planted them (2011) I got a couple of very nice tasting brebas and nothing after that. Just a huge main crop. Maybe weather ( chill ours?) have something to do with the Breba crop after all. We accumulated quite a few this winter and without the extreme cold of the last one that froze everything to the ground! Also the trees are budding way earlier than last spring! Only time will tell.
                        Johnny ,sorry but my Negronne is way too young and I do not have a Conadria so I cant give an advice! I know VDB does produce a good Breba crop and is almost identical to the Negronne! I hope you get to taste them this season!

Comment

Working...
                        X