X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won my first Fig cutting! Cul De Dame Noir!!! Please help this Fig Noob.

After a heated battle, won the Auction at 50.00, I'm so upset that I fell asleep and missed the bid for 7Duece's CDD Noir that sold for like 20 dollars today.... O well.... Guys please could you give me some hardcore dummie proof advice on how to root and plant these 2 cuttings... I've watched a few clips on youtube which seem easy, but I could same the same thing about cooking recipes on there which flop on me lol

Wow, $50 for a CDDN cutting? That's quite a price to bear.

I would start in damp sphagnum moss - damp being the key, not wet - in a ziplock in a shoe box in a warm spot (like on top of hot water heater or cable box). Flip the bag every day or so and check it every few days to a week. When you have roots, cup it up, put in humidity bin or put a clear cup inverted over it for a greenhouse effect, in sunny window or under grow lights as soon as leaves start showing. I use 2 parts perlite and 1 part MG seedling starter mix for cupping up. But I also use gnatrol to prevent the dreaded fungus gnats, which can come from the MG mix. Coco coir has become popular in place of potting mix or peat moss for cupping up as there are no gnats with it.

There's lots of ways that work and most have their favorite methods. I like the sphagnum moss method because it is low hassle, sphagnum has anti-mold properties, and it works for me. Of course, I started out with Chicago hardy cuttings that I bought on eBay at 5 cuttings for $10. Amazingly they all lived.

Good luck!

PS - AscPete has some good posts on this site regarding starting cuttings.
    Phil
    Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Thanks Phil, I have some K-L-N rooting Hormone from Dyna-gro, Can i also use this diluted with the damp moss while trying to root it?

Comment

• drphil69
        drphil69 commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know much about rooting hormone. I understand the powder type can cause fig cuttings to rot.

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        If using rooting hormone only dip the bottom cut end in the recommended concentration.
        Rooting hormone will retard shoot growth, which is beneficial, roots before shoots, but in higher concentrations it may promote excessive root growth and possibly "burn out" the cuttings.

I think you might want to add that or Rapid Start after root initials appear, especially if you already dipped the cutting in hormone as an initial treatment.
      Rafael
      Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

Claymango,

I posted this last year...
        Congratulations and Good Luck.
        After testing, observing and measuring all the posted propagation techniques I've come to the realization that there are only a few variables that when controlled will result in very high success rates and it can be achieved with any rooting method, in any medium including only air.
        1. Temperature, 72*F - 78*F and Humidity, 85% - 90% RH
        2. pH, 5.0 - 6.5
        3. Aeration, Well Aerated
        4. Early Fertilization - in rooting medium or added once rooted.
        1. When the temperature is maintained and the medium is kept barely moist, the humidity will usually remain in the optimal range.
        2. The pH can be easily adjusted, and the pH of the water should be, at least for the initial rooting and cutting stages.
        3. The medium should be well aerated with larger particles and "sterile", sifting will usually remove small particles and increase aeration.
        4. Fertilization is dependent on the media used to root and grow out the cuttings. If an inert medium (Perlite, Scoria, sand, etc) is used, early addition of a dilute balanced fertilizer will ensure healthy continuous growth. When sterile potting mix is used the initial fertilizer charge will be able to provide initial fertilization, but early dilute fertilization is still required.
        A very good tutorial for direct rooting in cups... http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...rooting-method

A discussion about watering the cuttings once rooted... http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...ering-cuttings

IMO, Direct planting in small of large containers has proven to be the simplest method of rooting cuttings.
        I soak / pre-hydrate the cuttings for 2 - 3 days, in wet Long Fibered Sphagnum Moss or Coco Coir Potting mix, the bag can be placed in a refrigerators crisper drawer.
        Then seal the top end with wax or pruning sealer and plant in a moist pre-moistened well aerated mix at ~75*F in a sealed container, place in a dark space and check every 2 - 3 days.
        I've also switched to using Coco Coir - sifted Perlite (70% - 30%) potting mix for rooting fig cuttings, Ive had good success with Burpee's "Eco-friendly" Organic Seed Starting Mix.
        Last edited by AscPete; 03-22-2015, 09:57 AM.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• drphil69
          drphil69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Great info, thanks Pete!

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          You're welcome.

Good luck with your cuttings and don't over water!!
        A good resource for bidding on eBay is eSnipe. They will automatically place your bid within 6 seconds of it ending. Their fee is only 1% of the winning bid. I use it all the time so you don't have to worry about being around to bid. You can also put your best bid in and it can keep you in check if the bidding goes crazy. Just put in a number you are comfortable with and let it go if it goes too high. I can assure you there will always be another cutting of that variety available.
        And most importantly, buy from known forum members. They are the folks you can trust

Comment

Col means neck in French. Cul means ....well, lets just say "rear end." You may want to change that in the thread title...
          Rafael
          Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

• smatthew
            smatthew commented
            Editing a comment
            Google translate says "Ass Black Lady". I think this is the fig Sir Mix-A-Lot grows....

Claymango,
          What is your zone ?
          USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Originally posted by greenfig View Post
            Claymango,
            What is your zone ?

9b socal.....desert climate, hot long summers, mild winters, 300-450 chill hours.

Comment

Success!!! Coco Coir combined with Dip n Grow...first time ever rooting cuttings and couldnt be more proud of this little guy. I did score the bottom with centimeter wide scrapes. Both cuttings rooted, although tge one not shown here didnt take off like this one, it wasnt scored but recieved several slices on the bottom.
              Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations....batta bing...nice roots

I came along after this had started...but I would add this

I use AscPete's method almost to a T...but add a mild scraping of the cutting base in a couple spots with a serrated butter knife to the cambium and a thin coating of "Clonex" with a solder flux brush before cupping her up. Seems to work out well

I'll second the gnatrol application...get off on the right foot
                Last edited by rusty hooks; 04-13-2015, 02:48 AM.
                Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Great start!
                  Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Working...
                  X