X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Rooting Media Poll

3 years ago, a similar poll on the other forum yielded sphagnum as the most commonly used medium. I was wondering if that has changed for others as it has for me.
    Newspaper or paper towel method
    2.08%
    Water - Propagator
    0%
    Coir - alone or with perlite
    41.67%
    Soil as in pots or ground
    14.58%
    Spagnum moss
    14.58%
    Other
    27.08%
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

Other. I'm rooting in perlite. Pretty simple. My only failures are an occasional cutting that pops out leaves first and never roots, which could happen in any media I think.
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Great Idea Franco. I, like Ed, prefer perlite w a little Fertilome UPM but I don't love the method.
      Rafael
      Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

Pre-rooting or direct rooting in Coco Coir Potting mix with sifted Perlite, it has the correct pH to reduce or eliminate mold and also doesn't attract fungus Gnats.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0818.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	11505
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

what would be the optimal ph for figs and what do you use to raise and lower the levels

Comment

• AscPete
            AscPete commented
            Editing a comment
            Cuttings... pH 5 - 6, Fig Trees... pH 6 - 7.5
            Start with bottled spring water for rooting, use just enough warm water to properly hydrate the rooting media.
            Do not "wring out" (flush out) the acidity.
            A hydroponic pH control kit is very easy to use, but isn't essential if you don't use too much excess water when hydrating the rooting medium.. https://www.hydroponics.net/i/131697
            Last edited by AscPete; 03-23-2015, 09:12 PM. Reason: edited pH control kit comment.

Other: Root Riot Cubes
          newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• kubota1
            kubota1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Same here.

Promix HP. I failed miserably last yer with the peat moss, lots over 100 cuttings so switched to the promix and have had good results.
          Jeff in 6a

Comment

• zone5figger
            zone5figger commented
            Editing a comment
            I also use pro-mix with good results by direct potting my cuttings.

• Rafaelissimmo
            Rafaelissimmo commented
            Editing a comment
            Promix HP is just peat w perlite. I think more perlite is better. The denser the mix the more water gets trapped and rot can result. More perlite=better drainage.

I wrapped the cuttings in parafilm and stick them in damp coir. I had a really good rate of success. So much success that I have used this technique on older cuttings I had hoarded ( due to being scared I might kill them). So coir and parafilm is my go to method. I also use coir in my veggie garden..

Comment

My success rate with sphag in nearly as good as it is with coir(a minor difference) but coir is just so easy to remove the cuttings from the bag and cup up, and the lack of mold with coir is great as well. So far, I'm not a fan of using coir/perlite mix in the cups though. I think the pH is off and the plants are a little pO'ed. Ha!
            Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
            Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• AscPete
              AscPete commented
              Editing a comment
              I've noticed that when the LFS moss or Coir are soaked in excess water and then "wrung" out the pH and failure rates increase. Also Coir is very deceptive because it will absorb much more water that Peat and still look "dry", which could be a problem for fig cuttings. I also hydrate my Coir with a very dilute MG all purpose ~ 1 tablespoon / 5 Gallon ...

That's amazing! A few years ago, coir wasn't even mentioned in "Other". That is quite an endorsement.
            Frank Tallahasee 8B
            North Florida Figs

Comment

Looks like I might need to find some coir!!!
              Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

Charles, if you haven't seen this thread, it is worth checking out only for the pictures.

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....post1286445421
                Frank Tallahasee 8B
                North Florida Figs

Comment

Jeez You aren't kidding. That is pretty amazing. You have to order Coir correct?

Comment

Caution when buying Coco Coir for rooting cuttings...

Only purchase Coir labeled as "Potting Mix", it's processed properly and is ready to use right out of the bag.
                    "Rinsing out salts" will change the pH of the Coir and may decrease rooting rates.

Here's a photo of Plant It Coco Coir Mix manufactured by HydroFarm, it consists of a good percentage of "larger" pieces for good mix aeration.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4897.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	11845 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3502.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	11852
                    Last edited by AscPete; 03-23-2015, 10:09 PM.
                    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I voted 'other'. I use a 1:1 mix of perlite:Supersoil planter mix. I use supersoil because it's inexpensive and fits my needs. I don't screen anything. Just mix and moisten. I do not pre-root, nor use bleach, nor wax. I put the cutting in a clear container with holes in the sides and bottom for good aeration, and grow the cuttings until they have a root ball dense enough to survive transplanting. I use as little water as possible, though they are in a bin that is opened daily. I don't like to mess with the cuttings too much. Less is more.
                      SoCal, zone 10.
                      www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Gina View Post
                        I voted 'other'. I use a 1:1 mix of perlite:Supersoil planter mix. I use supersoil because it's inexpensive and fits my needs. I don't screen anything. Just mix and moisten. I do not pre-root, nor use bleach, nor wax. I put the cutting in a clear container with holes in the sides and bottom for good aeration, and grow the cuttings until they have a root ball dense enough to survive transplanting. I use as little water as possible, though they are in a bin that is opened daily. I don't like to mess with the cuttings too much. Less is more.

Gina

where do you place the cuttings? In dark place, window seal, other?

Comment

Originally posted by Claymango View Post

Gina

where do you place the cuttings? In dark place, window seal, other?
                          Before they show any leaves, light does not matter. Though darker generally means cooler - and less mold. By 'cooler' I mean about 70 to 75 since I don't like my cuttings to get too warm (mold/rot concern again).

As I said, I put my clear containers holding the cuttings in a bin. And I put that bin almost anywhere in the house depending on how hot it is. As soon as there are leaves (roots or not), I make sure the cutting has light so it can both photosynthesize as well as not get leggy. But artificial light, even fluorescents, can also bring heat so I'll put a thermometer in the bin to make sure it doesn't get much over 80.

It's difficult to list everything that I do, because I adjust the cuttings environment as needed. It's walking the line between too much moisture, too dry, too humid, too warm, too dark.....

I suspect it also helps that I live in a dry, warm Mediterranean climate - where many figs originate.
                          SoCal, zone 10.
                          www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

I've tried sphagnum moss and i get very thin roots and seems when i transplant them the roots rot because once watered normally whatever moss went along with the roots became too wet. Getting it to root wasn't the problem, transplanting was the issue. I switched to Promix HP mixed with extra perlite (3:1). This gave me really good results.....only thing is....Promix HP is expensive.
                            Quy
                            SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

Originally posted by Q* View Post
                              I've tried sphagnum moss and i get very thin roots and seems when i transplant them the roots rot because once watered normally whatever moss went along with the roots became too wet. Getting it to root wasn't the problem, transplanting was the issue. I switched to Promix HP mixed with extra perlite (3:1). This gave me really good results.....only thing is....Promix HP is expensive.

The Pro mix HP looks like Peat Moss and Perlite??? Very Similar to the Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting Mix.... Are you guys Spagnum *** Peat Moss mixed with Perlite is much better for rooting?

Comment

• Q*
                                Q* commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Promix HP is composed of 65-75% peat moss, perlite, limestone, and mycorrhiza. Mycorrhiza is a fungus that grows on roots of plants that help it absorb minerals and nutrients. Fig cuttings will root in any material that is slightly damp but not wet. Depending on a lot of variables....temp, ph of soil, soil media, health of cuttings, time of taking the cuttings,..etc.....you dont know when your cuttings will grow roots(usually 2-6 weeks...sometimes longer) In my opinion, the two biggest factors that influence root growth is adequate aeration/drainage for roots(thats why people use perlite) and a temp range of 65-75 deg.

Just ordered two blocks of coir! Will be here Thursday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Rock-Wool. Advantage of not needing to disturb the roots once ready as the whole cube will go into any other media when completed.

Comment

Working...
                                X