X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battaglia Green From Paradise Nursery

I saw the posting that the former Paradise Nursery is selling their property and listing cuttings from their original tree. They are making a contribution to the Fig Foundation from their auctions so I thought I'd give them some support. They have the original Battaglia Green tree and are selling cuttings from that tree. I was lucky enough to win the auction and am looking forward to rooting these cuttings and continuing the life of this wonderful tree.
    Anybody growing that Battaglia Green tree from Paradise? Any good stories?

I have a nice Bat Green that hopefully will have fruit for the first time this year. I've heard so many good things about it and am looking forward to tasting it.
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

It's out there, mgginva has lots of info on it if you search his f4f posts.
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

This cross pollination is interesting...http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....97&postcount=8
        jimmie aka JD | tallahassee.fl | zone.8b | davistating.eBay

Comment

Thanks everyone. I have learned much about the tree and Sybil. Really glad to carry on the tradition

Comment

Congrats on the win coop. I didnt know much about it so I gave up on the bidding. Now that I know more its added to my wish list LOL.
            After saying I would never buy cuttings on ebay I signed up this weekend, spent hrs looking for what I wanted and got outbid on just about everything.

That being said I did knock 2 more off my wish list. Both from Harvey so I'm very happy about that.
            Jeff in 6a

Comment

You can try give Fred a call and see if he's going to have any coming up that aren't already reserved. www.rabbitridgenursery.com
              Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
              Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Thanks Calvin. I did send him an email.
                Jeff in 6a

Comment

• cis4elk
                  cis4elk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No problem. He's pretty good about answering the phone too, a real nice guy, he likes to talk about figs.

He didnt have anything he would ship right now. Told me to check back in the fall. Probably just as well. I have gone a little crazy lately buying fig trees.
                Jeff in 6a

Comment

Originally posted by Coop View Post
                  I saw the posting that the former Paradise Nursery is selling their property and listing cuttings from their original tree. They are making a contribution to the Fig Foundation from their auctions so I thought I'd give them some support. They have the original Battaglia Green tree and are selling cuttings from that tree. I was lucky enough to win the auction and am looking forward to rooting these cuttings and continuing the life of this wonderful tree.
                  Anybody growing that Battaglia Green tree from Paradise? Any good stories?
                  Coop, Was this Paradise Nursery in Virginia Beach?
                  Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
                  W/L: CdD Mutante, The One

Comment

Hi. Yes it was from them 5 years ago when they closed down
                    It was the original tree. I still have it.
                    Solid tree

Comment

Battaglia Green was my first FigBid purchase (Wayne).
                      I am originally from (and miss) Va Beach so when I learned the story behind this fig I absolutely had to have it. In fact, I nearly convinced my sweet father to drive over to Foleys castle in Petersburg just to get a cutting (stealth- like in the dark of night...)!!!
                      My tree appears to be a very slow grower so far (lagging behind 14 other new trees acquired over the summer) but Iā€™m optimistic that it will take off this spring. If not I might ask to purchase a cutting someday. šŸ˜Š
                      Last edited by Bellefleurs; 01-08-2020, 09:20 AM.
                      Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
                      W/L: CdD Mutante, The One

Comment

BG was the first fig tree I bought from French Fig Farms several years ago.They still sell them as 4ft tall 5 gal sized trees. It is a very strong grower and very prolific in making fruit. The fruit ripens a little late here in zone 7a (potted) but may creep a little bit earlier in time. Its a large fig too and when very ripe its hard to beat the berry like flavor. Not finicky and may also be fairly cold tolerant.

Comment

• Bellefleurs
                          Bellefleurs commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sounds like you got a very nice tree from FFF.
                          Their website is great.
                      Working...
                      X