X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone dealt with Edens Grove Nursery in the UK?

They have an online nursery where you can order from, not sure if they do international shipping, the website is also in the very early developing stages. He also is listing many plants and Figs on EBAY, of course I would rather pay a flat rate than engage in a bidding war if possible by purchasing on his website, he has tons of rare Varieties for the U.S.

I'm assuming you're in the US. It is not recommended to buy from overseas. USDA will take everything you bought and destroy it. They may ship to the US, but it is not legal for you to import it.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

Thank you for the warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelby View Post
        I'm assuming you're in the US. It is not recommended to buy from overseas. USDA will take everything you bought and destroy it. They may ship to the US, but it is not legal for you to import it.

They apparently have a 100 percent since 2008 reviews on Ebay and te seller says he ships weekly to the USA. They offer a refund for lost packages, plus you have the Ebay clause for backup....I think it's worth a shot of getting CDDB if I'f I can get a refund for shipping issues... I think a bare root plant may be better than 2 cuttings on Ebay that may reach over 60 dollars.

Comment

eBay actually sends your info to the USDA. The USDA will wait anywhere from a few weeks to a year to come and see you. They do not "intercept" packages.

Comment

Besides the legalities, don't forget to factor in shipping charges. If they are live, bareroot plants being sent, they will either have to be fast shipped (aka 'expensive'), or if not, your plants might not be in good shape when they get to you. I recently ordered tea shipped from the UK. Even sent 'airmail', it took over 2 weeks to get here.
            SoCal, zone 10.
            www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

I was exchanging emails briefly with someone who liked living dangerously and had bought a fig tree from Eden Grove Nursery on eBay. She was hoping to avoid the fig virus that cripples California figs. She said there was no problem with the delivery in California. (They have a 100% rating- which wouldn’t happen if the government kept seizing your deliveries.) The tree was a similar size to most nurseries, only cut slightly shorter for shipping. It took around two to three weeks for the tree to arrive. By that time the roots were in complete shock although still wet and well packaged. After planting, the tree was dying in its new pot. She mounded up some soil around the bottom of the tree and treated the top like a cutting. She said it started reviving, sprouting and producing new roots. I don’t know what happened after that.
              As Kelby and hoosierbanana says, it’s not worth risking the USDA seizing your plants for what amounts to cuttings that you could possibly get elsewhere.
              Mara, Southern California,
              Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

Also, declaring "live plant" on a customs declaration means that it will not be allowed to enter the US. Accordingly, they lie or misinform. That is also why they cannot ship express, it would not pass the customs issue. The easiest way is to send regular airmail, and fudge the customs declaration. Which is why it will probably result in a dead plant in your mailbox. It works with cuttings, but not plants. I would be happy to try an airlayer for you, but I don't know if my plant will be able this year.
                Rafael
                Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

If the tree is coming Bareroot like they say, then shock will be a minor issue....If the tree is in shock, it has to be placed in full shade to partial shade gradually being introduced to more light... At the moment, there isnt any CDDB figs in the US openly available...as long as EBAY insures my purchase, i think its worth the gamble for a 3 yearly pruned CDDB...

Comment

She was hoping to avoid the fig virus that cripples California figs.
                    But if she was importing figs into California, there would be no reason to assume that new figs wouldn't be infected in Cali where the mite that spreads it also lives. In addition, the various strains of virus did not spring up in Cali (though UCD repository did compound the issue in some varieties) the virus and figs evolved together in their original homelands over the centuries.

She said there was no problem with the delivery in California.
                    I think most packages get into Cali OK - and avoid the plant-sniffing dogs at various airports. Although once some fig cuttings I sent to another grower in Cali were intercepted... but did get to their final destination. Sending plants within California is OK - I just didn't know I needed to label the outside of the box.

About our plant sniffing dogs: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/dogteams/news.html
                    Last edited by Gina; 03-24-2015, 03:04 PM.
                    SoCal, zone 10.
                    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Ok I'll give it a shot, If I can land a 3 year old CDDB, I think the gamble may be more than worth it....

Comment

Working...
                      X