X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spagnum Moss for cuttings

Home depot and Lowes don't carry this, neither do my local garden centers, however, Ace hardware of all places seems to carry this product... Can anyone take a look and confirm this is what i need. http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...uctId=12722205

My CDDN cuttings will arrive tomorrow, it's ether this or the papertowel method I seen on Youtube.

Correct moss, just not the best quality.

Comment

I like Coir - pet stores have it for reptiles, and "indoor growing" stores sell it as well.
      Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

I would not experiment with a Col de Dame cutting. If you are not 100% sure of your actions, experiment on some local cuttings (happy to provide if you can't find) and wait until you are ready. I killed about 6 or more CdD cuttings last year, and about 4 this year.
        Rafael
        Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

Thank you so much Rafael, but I need to get a jumpstart on things, I'm currently in the Navy (8 years now) and set to deploy in about a month... I need to at least give it a shot before i leave, I wont be back until Sept....so wish me luck, hopefully i dont blow it!

Comment

• drphil69
            drphil69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for your service! And good luck!

Clay
          Go for it my friend. Soak that moss and then really wring it out. Only very slightly damp Not Wet. Put that in a Tupperware container or plastic shoe box and let it go. Check it occasionally and if it needs more moisture get a sprayer and gently spray the lid and a bit on top. Humidity is where it's at. I repeat Do Not Overwater. I use the same moss and have had excellent results.
          Good Luck and Thank You For Your Service Sir.
          Coop

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm going to try 2 different approaches with my 2 cuttings.

1- Going to stand 1 cutting up and soak 1/3 in a spring water solution of very dilluted K-L-N Root Hormone 24-48 hours; The University of Florida has had a 50 percent increase in success rates with this Rooting Hormone in some of their research experiments, Hopefully the little white Nubs will start to form, if not it's still going into the Tubaware tray of Damp Spagnum where it will sit near the Window during the Day and another warm area at night, until hopefully rooted with a decent root structure.

2- Second method I read about here which seems to have less reports of Mold, will be the same Soaking in a very diluted spring water solution with rooting hormone, but this time placed straight into a plastic cup of damp Spagnum until hopefully rooted with nice root structure, where I will feed it once leafed out with diluted nutrient solution of Dyna-gro 7-9-5, One of the fertilizer containing all 16 Micro and Macro nutrients as found in soil...practically a hydroponic growing method until healthy enough to transplant into a potting medium with *Spagnum still on the roots.

*Hopefully the Wife can mange to carry out the remainder while I'm gone

Comment

IMO, due to your location and circumstance one of the direct rooting methods may be more appropriate.
              Your pre-rooting procedures can still be used, but the cuttings are then up potted to a pre-moistened growing medium.

http://www.threefoldfarm.org/blog/si...ig-propagation
              http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....-setup-7262715
              http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....promix-6692131

The attached flow charts were produce in a Topic started by Pino.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Fig pre-rooting flowchart.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	11880 Click image for larger version

Name:	Fig direct-rooting flowchart.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	11881

Long Fibered Sphagnum Moss left around the roots of the cuttings usually leads to root rot due to excessive moisture.
              Good Luck.

BTW, I've had lots of success using the Mosser Lee Sphagnum for pre-rooting, in sealed plastic bags, in a dark closet at ~ 75*F.
              Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Is not this confusing bud. That miss you found at ace works just fine. As said soak it over night and ring out very very well. Lay Down about 2 inches in Tupperware. Score bottom. Apply hormone if you like and add 2 more inches on top. Cover and stick the container in a warm area. Don't matter if it's light or dark. Just warm. Again no over water. If you see condensation on inside of box it is fine. Don't get too complicated with this cause that's how I messed up a lot of cuttings. It's a simple thing to do.
                Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Originally posted by Taverna78 View Post
                  Is not this confusing bud. That miss you found at ace works just fine. As said soak it over night and ring out very very well. Lay Down about 2 inches in Tupperware. Score bottom. Apply hormone if you like and add 2 more inches on top. Cover and stick the container in a warm area. Don't matter if it's light or dark. Just warm. Again no over water. If you see condensation on inside of box it is fine. Don't get too complicated with this cause that's how I messed up a lot of cuttings. It's a simple thing to do.

Thanks friend.. I'm going to do exactly what you said. If I reach the potting stage, I'll use a 50/50 Peat Moss and Perlite mix with some compost for nutrients.

Comment

half of these are CDDG started in coir and then potted in pro mix hp i will never start cuttings any any other way :-)

Name:	P1020250.JPG
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	12117

Name:	FullSizeRender 3.jpg
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	12118Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 10.jpg
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	12119
                    Wish List -

Comment

The Eye Candy is strong with this one.

Comment

Spaghmum moss is not bad and I don't want to tell you that the cuttings that I lost using straight perlite in my opinion COIR IS KING ,

But like someone said on here before ask 10 different people there method and you will get 10 different answers that work for them
                        Wish List -

Comment

Dave I have 2 precious Cuttings... I I will try one with the Spagnum moss and I'll pick up a brick of Coir on the Way home from Work today at the Hydro Shop and try it out on the other one...

I'm kind of **afraid of the Coir... Didn't someone post somewhere that you have to soak the Coir and then ring it out? And that sometimes doing this messes up the PH and kills the cutting? Could have sworn I read that somewhere.

Comment

• drphil69
                            drphil69 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes, Ascpete I believe had a tutorial on it here somewhere.. add just enough water so you don't need to wring it out is the goal, that keeps the pH where it should be.

• AscPete
                            AscPete commented
                            Editing a comment
                            If you follow the Directions on the Label to hydrate the Coir Brick you should have the correct amount of moisture to start rooting. For my 4.5 kg Coir brick its labeled 7 gallons of water. To the water I also add Miracle Gro all purpose at ~ 1/2 teaspoon per gallon and 1/4 Teaspoon of Epsom salt per gallon (1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon respectively). This provides the initial fertilizer charge for the cuttings.

There's a saying my friend uses "KISS" it means "Keep It Simple Stupid" the fancier I try and get the more I mess things up , moisten the coir put it into your little container without packing it down use some Clonex if you have some handy and put it in a humidity chamber "plastic tote" and then just be patient thats my new method and this year out of the aprox 60 cuttings I got going I think I lost 2 or 3 You could buy it in a brick form or here they sell i in powder form no matter which way you go I don't think you could go wrong using coir , keep me informed with your progress
                          Wish List -

Comment

You mentioned soaking in rooting hormone, I read it can (does) retard green shoots/leaves and that can burn out the cutting. Again, it was Ascpete... http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...-are-you-using
                            Last edited by drphil69; 03-25-2015, 10:25 PM. Reason: Edit: By the way, Pete is very experienced and knowledable, one of the best of the best on this or any site.
                            Phil
                            Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Stopped at the Hydroponic store on the way home and grabbed a brick of Coir and some Dip n Gro..... I was extremely dissapointed that Dip n Gro has the exact same ingredients as K-L-N from Dynagro... O well at least it came with a dip cup I'll make sure the amount is extremly diluted in hope to prevent the roots form not growing properly...

So I guess I'll use both cuttings in Coir

Comment

Originally posted by Claymango View Post
                              I was extremely dissapointed that Dip n Gro has the exact same ingredients as K-L-N from Dynagro...
                              I'm just curious, Why?
                              The difference between the two products is the Lower Hormone ratios, the Dilute NPK and Vitamin B1 of the KLN.
                              Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Originally posted by AscPete View Post
                                I'm just curious, Why?
                                The difference between the two products is the Lower Hormone ratios, the Dilute NPK and Vitamin B1 of the KLN.

Ahhh.. Ok... Chemistry definitely wasn't one of my strong points in science...I just did a quick glance and noticed the same ingredients of Dip n grow are Also on K-L-N...didn't even bother factoring in the ratios.

Comment

Numerous results seem to give Coir the edge.....so that's what i went with.

Comment

Working...
                                  X