X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you sniff your cuttings?

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I like sniffing my fig cuttings. I'm rooting my cuttings in plastic shoe boxes with coir, and one box has a bunch of cuttings with leaves, but no roots. When I open that box, it smells like a little bit of heaven. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Yes
    25.00%
    No
    41.67%
    Too much information
    33.33%
    Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

This may be a fetish of some sort lol

Comment

Especially cuttings that are freshly cut and still have some sap running out. It has a distinctly sweet smell that I enjoy. Nothing to be ashamed of. I say go ahead...just don't let any non-fig family members see you. They may not understand .
      Zone 6b. West KY.
      My eBay username is fruitnut.
      Fig Well and Prosper!

Comment

Besides 'yes' or 'no', perhaps your poll also should have included the choice 'TMI' (too much information).

I voted 'no' but next time I trim any figs, I may see if there is a sweet scent.
        SoCal, zone 10.
        www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• Gina
          Gina commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey, I see you just added 'too much information' as a choice.

I want to change my vote!

I found out quickly...it depends on the cuttings. Some of mine were odorless. Some were earthy. Some were rather gross smelling. Atreano smelled like sweet coconutty heaven. When I lost my atreano cuttings, I may have kept them around (pseudo dessicated) and smelled them from time to time, because they smelled so unbelievably amazing. Coulda made potpourri out of that stuff.
        Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

• brettjm
          brettjm commented
          Editing a comment
          ...Don't judge me...

• WillsC
          WillsC commented
          Editing a comment
          Too Late

• Gina
          Gina commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol - I knew fig people were weird...

"Do you sniff your cuttings?"
        Nope, nor taste or listen to them.

Though I like the leaf smell
        Ed
        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• brettjm
          brettjm commented
          Editing a comment
          They're quite talkative....you dunno what you're missing. I have to keep Adriatic JH away from Ronde de Bordeaux. Ronde is always talking trash, being such a fancy fig and whatnot compared to Adriatic JH, which Ronde likes to remind everyone that its not even the "real" Adriatic.
          Last edited by brettjm; 03-24-2015, 06:55 PM. Reason: I wanted to remove all doubt that I was insane.

Never tried to sniff them for nuance...LOL

I do sniff my cuttings when they look like they are having problems rooting.
        When they get that certain smell(of rot) then I know they are gone.
        Sure enough whenever they get that smell if I rub them gently the bark will be soft and rub off since rot has likely set in. At this point even cutting off the bad parts is not enough.
        It saves me a lot of time and worry by sniffing them and knowing much sooner rather than later.
        Pino, Niagara, Zone 6, WL; variegated figs, breba producers & suggestions welcome
        Breba photos / Main crop fig photos
        Canada Fig Growers

Comment

Originally posted by eboone View Post
          "Do you sniff your cuttings?"
          Nope, nor taste or listen to them.

Though I like the leaf smell
          I think it's the new leaves that i'm smelling. The boxes of fig cuttings without leaves don't smell.
          Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

I like smell of fruit when I eat it
            Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
            1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
            2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Evidently Ficus carica is the gateway to glue.
              Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• smatthew
                smatthew commented
                Editing a comment
                OMG i hadn't even thought of that. Where's the bottle of elmers?

This whole thread is just hysterical, especially some of the posted responses.

Picasso may have had his "Blue" period, and I will admit that I too, had some strange, "I just gotta sniff this" periods in my life. Some of my early sniffs produced mixed results...some were pleasant, some made me ralph. We all experiment.

I have a friend who can projectile vomit at the slightest provocation. What a talent! It's hilarious. So what do all the guys do when we get together? We force him to sniff something disgusting that we hold under his nose. He never fails to amuse us as he runs to the bathroom. Sometimes we block his way to prolong the fun. I know, it's a guy thing...it's sick.

TMI, GINA ?????

Bronxy Frank

Comment

Working...
              X