X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Souce of mealy bugs

Okay, my hopes have been dashed. I had a problem with mealy bugs on my baby plants last year in my propagation room and I thought I was careful this year in making sure to not over-winter any invested plants in my propgation room, but I just noticed mealy bugs again in the past week. I looked but don't seen any ants so I'm curious where they could have come from. Any ideas? I decided to treat plants with a systemic insecticide in hopes that would knock them down.
    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

I had citrus mealy bugs once and they were very difficult to kill. It took a year of trying the so called safe insecticides and I finally resorted to some cygon. It only took one time and that was good because I only had a little left and it is no longer available.
    Aunts are not required, they just show up for the honey dew.
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• HarveyC
      HarveyC commented
      Editing a comment
      But in an indoor growing environment, how would they get there if an ant doesn't carry them there? They don't fly. I'm still puzzled. Wish I had some Cygon, though the problem isn't that bad. There are some systemic drenches that claim to control them and I'm trying one now.

• Hershell
      Hershell commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't remember where but I read that about every third generation of mealy bugs some can fly. The eggs or little ones were probably on your cuttings and when you carried them inside where there was no predators they go crazy. Correct me if I'm wrong on this one. Ok. I looked, only males can fly and the eggs were probably hid.
      Last edited by Hershell; 03-30-2015, 10:05 PM.

Rubbing alcohol sprayed on to the plants and the environment works well. You have to get the undersides of the leaves and all branch points thoroughly soaked. Use it full strength.
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• HarveyC
      HarveyC commented
      Editing a comment
      I've used alcohol on swabs to dab them but hadn't thought of spraying the entire plant. I've heard that mealy bugs are born pregnant so I'm guessing there are eggs around even once I destroyed individual bugs. May give that a try on one plant to make sure there isn't damage to young tender leaves.

I already dip cuttings in a fungicide after cuttings and before rooting them or storing then in the cooler. Maybe I should dip in alcohol or something else to kill any mealybug eggs.
    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

I wouldn't dip cuttings in alcohol if there is exposed, live tissue (fresh cuttings). Alcohol will kill whatever it touches. Safers soap or neem oil will be better for immersion of cuttings unless the edges are dried fully. I've never had a problem with newly emerged leaves. You have to spray the whole plant because they hide really well. The cottony stuff doesn't develop right away and they're hard to see until it does. People with bad infestations will spray every 2-3 days for 12 days.
      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

I haven't tried it on figs but I used to use a mix of 10-20% alcohol (isopropanol), 5-10% hort oil and remainder water in a spray bottle on my orchids and it worked pretty well. Just keep plant out of full sun if using oil so they don't burn. You need to do it every couple of days to get rid of the crawlers that are still hatching.
        NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

Working...
        X