X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving cuttings outside...

So I've got a few cuttings which have survived my attempts to kill them all winter, and have 5-7 big, healthy leaves. They've already been potted up to 1/2 gallon pots, and after this weekend's freeze is over, I want to move them outside. I know the deal with hardening them off in shade and whatnot, but what about water? Can I just leave them outside and let the rain do its thing? I know when I air layered a plant last year, I just left it outside and never worried about it...but cuttings are such notorious wienies about water. How careful do I have to be about overwatering?
    Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

They can dry out pretty quickly, especially if they're in direct sun or even if they're in shade and there's a decent breeze/wind. I would just keep a moisture meter on hand and water when they get to the dry zone. In shade, they should retain moisture pretty well. I'm glad you get to move plants outside - I just shoveled one of my garlic beds a bit today to hasten growth again. The snow's almost cleared, but not everywhere.
    Arne - Northern NJ - Zone 6A

Comment

When exposed to the elements they dry out rather quick, especially in 1/2 gallon pots.
      Even in 1 gallon pots there's some i have to water every other day, so monitor them closely.
      Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
      Zone 8B

Comment

If you have any outside now, don't forget to pull them in tonight. Hope this is our last hurrah for winter here this year.
        PPP
        Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Yup, pulled them in yesterday, along with my blueberries. Open blossoms or not, I can sacrifice 48 hours of no pollination if it means I don't freeze my blueberries!
          Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Good call. I pulled mine in last night, too. Got a small in ground fig breaking bud. It will get a 5 gallon bucket over it tonight.
            PPP
            Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Working...
            X