X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Fig Poll

Which fig would you rather have, if you didn't have either, based on your research?
    There is a reason why I ask....
    Smith
    65.00%
    Violette Dauphine
    35.00%
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

I voted for the Violette. I am a sucker for any fig with the name 'violette'. But also for round dark figs with dark centers and good taste. http://www.galgoni.com/ENG/Fotos_Maxi/015.htm

I don't have Violette D, but I do have Smith but have yet to taste a fully mature one. Smith is supposed to have great flavor, also look funky.
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

I took a minute and looked it up having never considered this fig. I believe I go with VD. I don't think I have ever heard the term "mind blowing" used to describe Smith!
      Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

I'm also a sucker for nice round, dark figs that taste great.
        USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

I really struggle with the phrase "I want VD".... But I think I would prefer that fig
          Ed
          SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• MichaelTucson
            MichaelTucson commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Ed. Yet another reason to avoid those two-letter acronyms in place of typing the names. As if Black Madeira weren't enough or an incentive.

Smith may be my favorite fig, it certainly was last year.
          Rafael
          Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

I bought a Smith late in the summer. I'm anxious to see if it pans out for me. Heard a lot of good things about it

Comment

I just got Smith so guess what I want now? In a few years I hope I can participate in this poll.
              Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• Darkman
                Darkman commented
                Editing a comment
                Hershell, If I get VD I'll be sure to give it to you too!

Maybe I should spell that out just to be clear!

VD = Violette Dauphine

I chose Smith, just because I have heard so many good things about it vs VD which isn't as well known here and I therefore haven't heard as much about it. I am hoping to taste a Smith fig this fall.
              Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
              Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Several post I've read claimed Smith Was to Die for Good, and in another post found in Fig4fun a member rated the best out of 20 or so varieties tasted that year claiming the Smith and Excel were pass out good. (Snaglpus) http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....s-2012-6008586 ....

I recently Purchased a Smith from just Fruits and Exotics... I have great expectations for this Fig Tree.. My only fear is that it has the classic Fig taste without any complexity.

Comment

I read so many good things about Smith, so I bought one from Just Fruits and Exotics. It shipped to me in the fall of 2014. Was at the top of my wish list.. Buds are breaking now. Without researching, Smith info is more out there just by following the forums. Have to look harder for info on Violette Dauphine.
                  PPP
                  Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

I dont have VD and havent heard much about it. Smith I heard a lot about last year and also bought 2 in Dec. Came with no leaves but they have been growing great all winter indoors.
                    Jeff in 6a

Comment

VD should fetch a higher price on ebay
                      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

... but I voted for Smith. (I don't sell on flea-bay, at least not since about 14 years ago).
                        Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Comment

So, I was trying to decide which fig to auction off on this site to help defray Wills' forum costs and it looks like Smith won. On the other hand, it seems that more people have Smith than they do VD. Back to the drawing board?
                          Frank Tallahasee 8B
                          North Florida Figs

Comment

Have two auctions or auction both off at the same time.
                            newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

OK Frank you must do both so we can know which is better. What is the costs currently for VD plant or cutting?
                              Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

Originally posted by FMD View Post
                                So, I was trying to decide which fig to auction off on this site to help defray Wills' forum costs and it looks like Smith won. On the other hand, it seems that more people have Smith than they do VD. Back to the drawing board?
                                Start another poll, lol.
                                SoCal, zone 10.
                                www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Violette Dauphine.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	12656
                                  Originally posted by FMD View Post

So auction the VD or both. Your call.
                                  PPP
                                  Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Stop guessing around and get a Smith fig. It is truly an outstanding tasting fig. It does real well in the rainy south too. I have been telling this to people for many years now......."one day you will hear them rave about this little known Louisiana heirloom fig!!!" You will never regret having this fig....

Comment

• Darkman
                                      Darkman commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Dan,

One of the problems you are well aware of is the mislabeling of many figs. Where would one go to be 100% sure he was getting a SMITH fig of Croatian descent?

• pppldj
                                      pppldj commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      You have been telling it and that is the very reason the ones of us that do have it

i have traced the heritage of this fig and have reported that it came to Louisiana from Croatia. It's flavor is both rich and complex. It is better tasting than most dark figs.

Dan

Comment

Have you managed to find out its original name , in Croatia?
                                      USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

No I haven't been able to find that out. My info came from the grandson of the man who brought several Croatian figs into the New Orleans area many years ago. I am still trying to find others that he brought. Unfortunately flooding from hurricanes destroyed many fruits trees in the area......and I only have a little chance of finding any of the others that the grandson remembers eating.

Comment

Working...
                                        X