X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: How should I prune this?

Hi all,

I would like to know what other people think about how I should prune this fig tree for the coming year.

This is a cutting from my first fig tree which came to me from my sister-in-laws father's fig tree. I'll post pictures later in the year to maybe help narrow down the variety. All I can say for now is that it produces black/purple figs with a raspberry center in Sept/Oct.

It does survive winters in Eastern MA with protection although this one was in my unheated greenhouse this past year.

This fig tree is over 3 feet tall right now.

I'm taking the options from AscPete's pruning posts.

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...-espalier-form

I look forward to the advice and will post a new picture after I prune it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	small_fig.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	12448
    Tree Form
    66.67%
    Bush Form
    16.67%
    Espalier
    16.67%
    Columnar
    0%
    Other (please specify)
    0%
    Last edited by fitzski; 03-28-2015, 10:35 AM. Reason: Uploaded the picture.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Do you have a photo of the tree now?
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      Oops, forgot to add the picture. Thanks Gina.

• Gina
      Gina commented
      Editing a comment

Kevin,
    A photo would be helpful...

IMO, many growers cultivate their trees to personal preferences, but a few simple question can easily provide the answer, a more objective approach will reduce or eliminate some of the choices.

The info that's needed to narrow down the choices... (Your order of priority may be different).
    Will the tree be container grown?... Tree, Columnar or Espalier.
    Is your storage Space limited?... Tree or Columnar.
    Is a larger fig production (harvest) your goal?... Tree
    How much time will be available for yearly pruning and training?... Least, Tree
    ETC.

Good Luck
    Last edited by AscPete; 03-28-2015, 03:39 PM. Reason: typo
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      I uploaded the photo. I have many fig trees of this variety some in-ground and some in pots so I'm open to any and all suggestions.

I would air layer the 2 outer branches and let the center become a nice tree Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1312.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	12464
    Wish List -

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the comments, Dave. I was thinking of doing air layers as well if those limbs are not part of the final tree form. Then maybe I could try a columnar form with the one on the right?

If storage space isn't an issue, I might spread out the 3 trunks in a triangular sprawl, and cut each at about 16", to a point just above a lateral bud. That'll give you a nice open bush shape.
    Of course you might be sacrificing some fruit production, and that may seem harsh, so maybe just tie them all down horizontally this year, then prune one or two next Fall.

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      i understand your comment about pruning all 3 to 16" but I'm not clear on the other one. Are you saying to create an espalier form by tying them horizontal. Wouldn't that only be 2 vs 3 limbs?

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Its been my experience that bush shape is not the best for potted trees. They are more difficult to maneuver and store once the main branches become lignified.

I would agree with Dave, but in addition I would air layer (or prune) off the 2 tops back to 1 -2 nodes from the main trunk. It will remove apical dominance and create the new scaffold branches. New buds will form on the main trunk and can be selected for the new lower scaffold branches.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1313.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	12494
    The new scaffold branches will develop very quickly due to reduced restrictions at the multiple nodes...

Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Pete. I appreciate the advice and diagram. Looks like I have many more trees of this variety to share. Hopefully we can narrow down the variety later in the year when I have some pictures. Hopefully I'll remember to upload the pictures when I post.
Working...
X