X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference?

Is there a difference between Blue Ischia and Black Ischia? In many different literatures I read they are one and the same. A certain nursery was marketing a Blue Ischia a couple years back, but in all the articles I'm reading, Blue and Black are the same variety. Anyone?
    Faith, family, friends and figs. (Not necessarily in that order).

To my knowledge 1 person has had the tissue culture blue ischia fig fruit and it was definitely not black ischia.
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Yup, my Blue Ischia turned out to be Green Lemon and the Nursery that sold them did not give a crap.
      Frank Tallahasee 8B
      North Florida Figs

Comment

It seems to me that one day Blue Ischia just appeared on Ebay and the grower did not answer any of my attempts to get info. I'm not sure there is a Blue Ischia.

Comment

Michael hello glad you signed up. Frank what nursery was it?
          Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

The nursery I have seen selling 'Blue Ischia' on eBay was Hirt's. Not sure of any others
            Ed
            SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Hirt's customer service sucks!! I purchased a blue ischia from them that was a 6 inch size ,arrived and the plant was about 1inch tall and half dead,when I called customer service they said that I had to ship the plant back so they can tell if it was really dead at my cost and if it wasn't dead I would be charged for shipping the same plant back. Still have the plant, it is now 3 years old and about 1 foot tall,only kept alive by feeding the hell out of it.Maybe this year it will finally start to really grow.

Comment

Also it has never fruited or so signs of fruiting!!
                If it doesn't start,time for Martin's burn bucket!!

Comment

There is more than one Black Ischia being sold. UC Davis, Jon's faux BI, Richard Watt's renamed Black Provence, and others at various nurseries over time. I consider the one from UCD the 'real' one.

As for 'blue Ischia',.. since Black Ischia is a highly sought after fig, they would call their 'blue Ischia' a 'black ischia' if it really was one. Or close to one.
                  Last edited by Gina; 02-19-2015, 10:51 AM.
                  SoCal, zone 10.
                  www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

I have a Black Ischia that I recieved from a friend(collector) in London. So far no FMV. Its only a few years old and hopefully will get a fig this year.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumbs Up.png
Views:	4
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1735 Mahalo, everyone for all your input. From what I've been reading, Hirt's Blue Ischia sounded like they just wanted in on the market and make a quick buck. Hopefully after I get this to grow, I'll be able to share some valuable info. You guys rock my face off!
                      Faith, family, friends and figs. (Not necessarily in that order).

Comment

I had a Hirts Blue Whatever for two seasons, sent to heaven last Fall. It was a complete waste of money, time, soil, and water. Had no hint of figs whatsoever , grew like weed
                        USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Working...
                        X