X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bordeaux Fig Cultivars

Below is a list of varieties that might be thought of as Bordeaux cultivars, strains, sports, relatives due to their identical, very, or somewhat similar leaves and fruits, or due to their simply having "Bordeaux" in their name. This is a tentative list always open for subtraction, deletion, or other correction. I put it together based on a little research and some limited direct observation.

BORDEAUX VARIETIES
    1. Ronde de Bordeaux
    2. Rouge de Bordeaux (aka Pastiliere)
    3. Violette de Bordeaux
    4. Negronne
    5. Petite Negri
    6. Vista
    7. Petite Aubique
    8. Nero 600m (aka Valle Negra?)
    Numbers 1, 2, 3, 7, and 8 seem clearly to be distinct cultivars.
    Numbers 3, 4, 5, 6 may be identical to one another or very similar strains, sports, siblings. Of this subgrouping, in my experience at least, Vista has seemed the most distinct from the others.

This Bordeaux list is somewhat arbitrary. It's possible, probably likely, that some of these varieties are not closely related at all. One notable difference in behavior is that both Ronde de Bordeaux and Rouge de Bordeaux are reportedly much earlier ripening (main crop) than the others.
    ‚Äč
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Good valuable info, Tony. Thanks
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

I have (1) RDB, (3) VDB, (5) Petit Negri and (6) Vista growing. The Petit Negri is inground and may fruit this year. The Vista is potted and has fruit currently. The RDB and VDB are small and do not appear to be as vigorous as the others but with inground planting they may take off.
      Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

• cis4elk
        cis4elk commented
        Editing a comment
        These are the same mix that I have as well. Looking forward to my first tasting of Vista this year and hoping to have a good crop of the others to compare.

I thought testing proved Negronne to be the same as Violette de Bordeux a long time ago?

Comment

• mountainfigs
        mountainfigs commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't seen any difference between Violette de Bordeaux and Negronne in direct observation. I assume they are clones. I might change the list to reflect that at some point. Any test information welcome of course. I have vague recollections of people arguing for some differences between the two and others arguing for no genetic related differences.

Tony,
      IMO, Part of the problem with the cultivars that "may be identical" is that many nurseries and collectors have circulated these distinctive cultivars with incorrect names. The most infamous is Violette de Bordeaux being circulated as Negronne. So instead of Negronne most often you would be growing an actual VdB.
      Last edited by AscPete; 03-31-2015, 09:51 AM. Reason: typo
      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• mountainfigs
        mountainfigs commented
        Editing a comment
        Hopefully as we all put together leaves and fruit, and other observations, from a large handful of specimens we'll be able to figure out what's what.
    Working...
    X