X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSU RED WANTED

WANTED TO BUY

LSU RED

Tree must be well rooted, prefer tree to be at least 1 yr old. I don't want any LSU RED "NOT" OR "LSU RED UNKNOWN", no guessing, real LSU RED only.

Let me know what you have.
    Wish List - Any LSU fig

I'll be real happy with some cuttings, of course I need the REAL LSU Red.

DOES anyone other than Dan actually have one they KNOW to be the real one?
    Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

How does one verifies a real LSU Red fig? Can we post some photos of the leaves and ripe figs here ?
      USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

I'd like to see a picture of one and the history connecting it to the LSU breeding program.
        Jennings, Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a

Comment

I got some from the source, let me know if you were able to find it.

Comment

• Darkman
            Darkman commented
            Editing a comment
            Can you elaborate on that!

This has to be the rarest, super secret fig out there.

Comment

There are a couple of people that I have great faith in when it comes to LSU figs. If they say it is the real thing, that's good enough for me. As to being "Super Rare" I don't know, the #5, and the #156, and the Bob Lily are certainly on the rare list, to me. I hope that Dr Daigle (Toxdoc) will shed some light on some of the questions/myths on the LSU figs.

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND!
            Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

See this thread for photos of leaves and fruit (main crop) of LSU Red. My LSU 5 should produce this season.

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....post1275682019

Navid.

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

So tell me if this is right. Someone discovered a fig tree they say is from the LSU breeding program. They are the only one who know the location of the tree. They name the tree LSU Red and give out a few cuttings to a select few people. After a few years there is still only a small group that own this rare fig.

Comment

Some collecters are non forum members and very private. So, until it is more available to forum members it will remain private.
                      I don't blame such collecters to remain private as they can be hounded with requests. I know a few people who have them
                      but their trees are small and consistently run into issues with slow growth, die backs. I think fewer collecters have LSU Scott Yellow, #5 than Red.
                      Last edited by paully22; 04-03-2015, 12:13 AM. Reason: adding more info

Comment

Originally posted by paully22 View Post
                        I don't blame such collectors to remain private as they can be hounded with requests. I know a few people who have them but their trees are small and consistently run into issues with slow growth, die backs.
                        If they wished to remain anonymous I can understand that however they could also allow someone to propagate these rare figs so that everyone could enjoy them without divulging who they are. It could be quite profitable for them. Figs are not like some rare gem that was dug up and they should not be hoarded.

Secondly maybe they are not (or at least some of them) as great as we would want them to be. Other than being rare if they are

Originally posted by paully22 View Post
                        ...small and consistently run into issues with slow growth, die backs.
                        Maybe we don't need them

Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

OK, so LSU Scotts Yellow, LSU #5 and LSU Red are 3 of the rarest unreleased LSU figs.

Comment

BTW, I have never tried to obtain these rare figs from anyone, nor do I intend to.

Comment

The person with the large LSU Red tree ran into some serious health issues and no one knows whether
                              he is still around. LSU Red & types was totally ignored for many years and the person with mother tree
                              had not been around for 3 to 4 yrs. With lack of interest then, it is not going to draw anyone wanting it
                              if no big names grows and reports about it, it would take longer to spread this variant around. This
                              person has a large LSU #5, S. Yellow tree. I am a lover of LSU variants now, but not before. I could not
                              get in touch with this collecter who once opened his collection and offered whatever I wanted at least
                              some 5 or 6 yrs ago

Comment

• Darkman
                                Darkman commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Someone who has the location needs to make some effort to try and acquire cuttings. If they know where they live it should be an easy matter to find out who owns the property and make an effort to contact them. You never know a simple knock on the door might release the "Holy Grail" of figs especially if the original person that had the interest in figs is no longer with us. Giving credit to the departed might be enough to encourage the current owner to share and if they wished their name and location could remain anonymous.

There has been a lot of interest in these figs for some time. Someone would make a post about their LSU fig and people would ask "Where can I get one of these?" No info was given. You had to have connections with "The Source".

Comment

Working...
                              X