X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fertilize...

I have about 30 cuttings growing outside in 5 gallon nursery pots growing in Promix HP mixed with a little extra perlite. They all seem to be growing fine, they range from 3 inches - 1 foot of growth (cuttings were started outside 3 months ago) It seems to me that the cuttings in the past 2 weeks have just stalled. My guess is that it needs some nitrogen/fertilizer. I'm used to growing plants in ground and i usually just take chicken fertilizer and lay 1 inch it at the base of the plant and just water it and it slowly makes its way to the roots. I'm curious how you guys fertilize your in pot plants. Any input on different techniques to fertilize will be greatly appreciated.
    Quy
    SoCal, Zone 9b

Some good responses to your question can be found here:

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...r-young-plants
    Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
    Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

Thanks Zone5figger! I haven't perfected the search option yet...
      Quy
      SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

I add a tsp. of General Hydroponics MaxiGrow and a tsp of Botanicare Vitamino to a gallon of water every other time I water. I use Happy Frog potting mix and add perlite and worm castings in a 10:3:2 ratio. It seems to me that the growth is good and the leaves are nice deep green and healthy. After losing a bunch of beautifully rooted cuttings, I started using Gnat-nix as a top dressing on the cuttings. My fingers are still crossed, but it seems it's doing OK keeping the gnats out. My figs and cuttings are in pots outside now that the overnight temps are into the high 40s/low 50s.
        USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

Thanks Joann! I'm gonna look into Maxigrow..... i want something really mild so i dont burn the roots with fertilizer
          Quy
          SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

Many folks apply slow release osmocote fruit & vegetable pellets. I do. I also add additional trace minerals, ie dolomitic limestone, espoma iron tone, glacial rock dust. I then top coat the whole thing with some composted rabbit manure, leaf compost and worm castings. Just finished dressing the last of about 30 trees tonite.
            Rafael
            Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

Dilute water soluble fertilizer is usually needed for young cuttings especially in "fresh" Potting Mix. The Hydroponic fertilizers usually have complete balanced Macro and Micro nutrients. The beneficial soil microbes need to get established in "fresh" Potting Mix so that they can break down the nutrients into their inorganic forms for use by the plants. I've used Miracle Gro All Purpose at 1 teaspoon / galllon of water with 1/4 teaspoon Epsom Salt to fertigate rooted cuttings. You could also use Miracle Gro Tomato at 1 teaspoon / gallon without the Epsom salts (Magnesium is included in the Tomato formula).

The same applies when using Slow Release fertilizers, they need moisture and time before they are released into the soil. I don't use slow release fertilizers but I use Organic fertilizers (Espoma-tones) which are also released slowly into the potting mix. The added water soluble fertilizer will provide needed nutrients until the encapsulated fertilizers are "released'. Good Luck.
              Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys....i'm heading out today to get maxigrow and miracle grow....gonna dilute it and experiment on a few cuttings to see how they respond.
                Quy
                SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

Working...
                X