X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New greenhouse build

Started on the new greenhouse last week. Put the batter boards up and got it squared and started to dig the 3.5 foot deep holes and started putting in the posts and cementing them in. So far have put in 12 posts and have 6 more to go......will update as I make progress. Have only had to call Hershell for tech support a few times so far The greenhouse is going against the front of my shop.....the other greenhouse is on the other end of my shop.

The 4x4 wood posts with the puipe over them are what held up the plastic over the lychee and mango trees this winter.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	!cid_20150331_173814.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	12947
    Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Looks like you got a jump on it. Can't wait to see the finished project.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Thanks Wills,

I need to get started on mine. Your photo has given me some great inspiration. So far I just keep walking around the area and kicking the dirt.
      Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

You should be done before winter, I think! LOL That's the sort of thing I start in December.
        My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

Bite your tongue rat assassin.......I wanted to get done before it gets hot, well all but the plastic which I will put on toward winter. The government red tape has held me up and finally said screw it.......arrest me So now it is a race to get the structure up before the building department slaps a stop work order on me...which I will ignore anyway. It is agricultural...I need no permit (my stance on it) I applied first week of NOVEMBER........still no ruling. Now they tell me they will make a decision by July 1............idiots.
          Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

I have a friend who would rather build it, plead ignorance and beg for mercy. It has worked so far for him. I've always been a bit chicken.

Comment

Far as I see it, I am following the law, they are not.

Comment

I didn't bother applying for a permit for my recent 20x30, just not up for the headaches.

When I built my 32 x 52 pole barn I called and told them I understood that I was not required to get a permit. They said I probably was going to add electricity and would need a permit and I said "no, I don't". Then they said I needed to submit an application for a determination that a permit was not required and submit a $250 application fee. That was the end of that, I figured that was akin to me stopping to ask a police officer if it was okay to proceed through a yellow signal light. I'd like these idiots to live on a diet of paper for a while.
                My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

The permits around here seem like they are just a money grab. I needed to pay $50 for a permit just to put up a 4ft x 5ft Rubbermaid shed against the back of the house. In hindsight, I should have listened to my friends who told me to just build it since they are never going to send inspectors around making sure my plastic shed has the proper paperwork.
                  Johnny
                  Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

• drphil69
                    drphil69 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Now that's just silly. I wouldn't even think to ask if one were required for a rubbermaid shed. I put up a 6ft x 8ft one and it never even occurred to me I might need a permit.

I check with city authorities here and they said yup I need a permit as long as it has a roof. Then I talk
                  to my neighbour who is a superintendent at city hall and he said, I never get a permit on all these stuffs
                  I build. They will never come around & you have good neighbours...fired up the BBQ

Comment

Ok time for an update.....I was getting very sick of digging holes and cementing posts......granted I live on a sandbar but still it is boring. Did finally get done with the posts and started moving on. Hershell gave me the great idea to make a boom lift for my tractor and it works GREAT.....I can set the heavy bulky roof arches by myself with no trouble at all. Well the 90 degree temps are a pain but is the price I pay for no snow.

Here is the boom in action.

Name:	GH3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	13314 Click image for larger version

Name:	gh 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	13315 Click image for larger version

Name:	gh2.jpg
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	13316

Comment

It is a very different style from the back greenhouse that is more a shade house.

Name:	zzz.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	13318

Comment

You'll be through in no time. It is looking very good.

Comment

Hey Bob Vila haha!
                          Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                          1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                          2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Looks good. That is a roof that says I don't have to worry about snow load.
                            NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

Ok made progress today. Finished making and setting the bows.

Name:	!cid_20150403_180518.jpg
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	13468

Started putting the 2x2" steel along the edge. The wiggle wire track will attach to it eventually.

Name:	!cid_20150403_180401.jpg
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	13469

When working with the steel buildings I have found electromagnets to be a great extra set of hands and so much easier to use than clamps. Just put them where you want them to hold the steel up, flip the switch and 50 pounds of holding power. Here they are holding up one end of the 2x2 as I screw the brackets in place that hold it.

Name:	!cid_20150403_180556.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	13470

Comment

I think I'll just download the photos so I can have some instructions to go by. Sweet use of those magnets. I have one to use with dial indicator. Is there a cheap source for those now. I bought mine over thirty years ago and it was over fifty dollars then.

Comment

Charles,

These two are also for dial indicators, I just took the shaft off that holds the indicator. I used them when setting the blades on my jointer and planer. At Harbor freight on sale they are just $9.99 each.

Comment

• Darkman
                                    Darkman commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Sweet! Very smart idea using them on the knives. I guess I know what I'll by at HF next time I'm there. I have the magnetic welding blocks but they don't have the pull that those do. Thanks again.

When you put the roof bows (?) on the posts, what made them stay on?
                                  Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

It looks great Wills! Your making great progress, should be done in no time.
                                    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Originally posted by Harborseal View Post
                                      When you put the roof bows (?) on the posts, what made them stay on?

Bob,

I will show you but don't laugh at my crappy welding. The posts and bows....yes I know they are not really bowed but Hershell calls them bows so I did also. They are 2" steel. The piece below is 1 5/8? Not sure but is just a touch smaller and slides inside the 2" steel snugly. So you take a 12" piece of it and cut it through the middle at 30 degrees flip one piece over and weld it together. The angle you need is determined by the center connectors. One side goes in the bow and you put it in on the ground and other slides in the post. From there gravity holds it....I have not actually screwed any of them in to the posts yet. I will do that after I put the ridge purlin on in the morning.

Name:	brac.jpg
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	13568

If you are curious here is the center connector.

Name:	!cid_20150403_134133.jpg
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	13569

Comment

• HarveyC
                                        HarveyC commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        I only laughed because your welding looks like what mine turns out like most of the time

Cool! So you weld, too. Nice to have all those skills.
                                      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Bob,

I'm not sure you would call the welding I do a skill.

Today got the 3 purlins all installed. The purlin down the ridge was interesting.......with my tractor bucket all the way up and standing on top of the bucket I could just barely reach it. My wife was having a fit but it went fine.

Name:	!cid_20150405_154815.jpg
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	13823

Comment

1 Time for the zone pushers!

Comment

Unless he air conditions it I'm not sure what fig he could grow as a zone pusher. His outside air temp should rarely see freezing temps. I'll bet his avg Winter low isn't below 40F.

BUT

He could grow some tropical fruits quite nicely.

Comment

Working...
                                            X