X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200+ plants in 14ft sq

I did a comprehensive inventory of my 'fig closet' yesterday when I watered. I culled out the few cuttings that didn't make it with the direct potting method I'm using, counted live, thriving plants, #'s of each variety, and when I was done I discovered that I have over 200 young fig plants stuffed into my 3.5' x 4' closet. Actual square footage is 28, as I added another level, giving me two 4' headspaces.
    What a more efficient use of space than keeping unworn clothes in it!
    Most of these came from folks I've met through the online fig community- thanks again, everyone who provided me with cuttings.
    Special thanks to fellow mainer Greg M.- he's the one who piqued my interest in growing figs- and then to Kerry whose driveway farm has provided plants and cuttings for many up here in the northcountry.
    I truly enjoy these plants, might be years before I get to try fruit but gazing on the greenery indoors is the perfect antidote to this raging winter we've been having up here.
    Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
    Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Amen to that. Jesse, I have about a fourth of what you have and have you giving any thought to what we are going to do come April. My wife keeps looking at me as if I have two heads.
    Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

Greg and Kerry are both great guys, good work!
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

I certainly don't intend to keep all of them for myself- I've been looking forward to 'giving back' to the online fig community, helping other newbies like myself get started. There are a few that I've pre-gifted as presents, or have set up for trades. Perhaps I'll test the local market for sales.... I'd like to have fifty solid plants going into next winter, so there's quite a few that will be going to new homes if I can keep these alive.

Comment

Comment

Jesse,

I have about half what you do and still more cuttings waiting to be rooted. My wife didn't notice when I added the second propagation chamber.

I'm hoping I can start a new batch around the time the UCD cuttings come around in March/April and my current rooted figs can go into the greenhouse.

I will definitely have many to share/trade come May. Maybe we should plan May/June New England Fig Gathering?

I like the snow and all but this is a little out of control.
            Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• zone5figger
              zone5figger commented
              Editing a comment
              That time-frame is always crazy for me, better for would be later in the summer, preferably at someone's place who might hopefully have a few ripe ones to sample! Let's keep thinking on it though.
              I'll start a trade thread whenever outdoor temps allow live plants to be shipped without heat packs, probably May.
              I should probably thank my wife as well, she teases me a little, but let's me do my fig thing(hey that was MY closet, anyway!).

• fitzski
              fitzski commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds good, Jesse. I'm sure I'll have some extras to trade come May. Hopefully we didn't acquire all the same varieties

Nice job Jesse!

Comment

Looks great!
              I need to show your post to my wife so she will stop thinking I'm a little nuts with my 30 or so rooting cuttings
              Ed
              SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• zone5figger
                zone5figger commented
                Editing a comment
                Happy to enable you, Ed.

200+ WOW!!!

Sounds real nice. And to think I was wondering what to with my 60'ish.... Thanks for the inspiration.
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I keep hearing the people around me asking "What are you going to do with all those figs?", and I have far fewer than 200!!
                USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

Looking really good Jesse, at least I don't feel so alone with my obsession.
                  Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Working...
                  X