X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE-DAN"S BB-10

I know their were a few people that had differences and didn't see eye to eye with Dan and his verbal skills to put it mild, But I think we all can agree he did a lot of good for the fig world !! And the few that have this prized rare fig know the real Story how it got to be out of the control of Dan and we will let the facts be lock up for all Time.I would like to do a little good out of this in Dan's Name Because he is the one that discovered it. Willsc I will talk to you about setting up a Auction here on a tree of the BB-10 all money to go to the forum and I will pay for the shipping cost Sorry US only . I think this will be a good deal for members here that the fig is in real short supply.

How about an auction for the real story of how it got to be out of the control of Dan? "Man cannot live by bread alone" (or figs)
    Mara, Southern California,
    Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

• Fygmalion
      Fygmalion commented
      Editing a comment
      As long as that doesn't lead to drama as in some other forums that I have seen...

• pukzpukz
      pukzpukz commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry cannot do this have friends involved and that's why God made Figs to go with your Bread

Oh by the way This will be set up later in the month so not to take away from others that have this for sale plus weather may also be a issue and Lets Willsc have the tie to set it up.

Comment

Very nice of you to do and very much appreciated
      Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

IIRC, some people thought BB 10 was same as KB. Has anyone been able to grow it out and compare the fruit to similar types? If so how does BB compare?

I can't get the search function here to allow BB as an entry so hard to find what has already been posted.
        Conrad, SoCal zone 10
        Wish List: More Land

Comment

• Fygmalion
          Fygmalion commented
          Editing a comment
          I am suffering from a brain burp.... KB as in...? Please fill in the blank....

• Fygmalion
          Fygmalion commented
          Editing a comment
          Kathleen Black?

• don_sanders
          don_sanders commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. Kathleen Black.

Dan is very thorough, I doubt it is KB.

My KB's leaf is different as well as being late season ripening rather than early/mid season.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

The leaf on mine is different than KB and MUCH larger. I have 400+ varieties and it is unique from those, that I am sure of.
          Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

This is a Fig in it's Own league and not a KB I see it replacing a few dark figs in everyone's collection that don't have the space The BB-10 and the Smith have earn several spots in my orchard because they are just that good here very very productive both in growth and Figs I wish I could find 10 more figs that do this well !!! Any Suggestion we have a lot of figs that just can't take the heat !!

Comment

Locking up facts? Sounds fishy. What's there to hide, unless it just happen to get out of Dan's control without his permission. Fine if he gave it to some, what they do with it is up to them. So I'm just going to ask point blank. Did Dan give it out to anyone or was it taken without his permission?

Comment

• WillsC
                WillsC commented
                Editing a comment
                Sometimes it is best to leave some questions unanswered.

• don_sanders
                don_sanders commented
                Editing a comment
                Dan wasn't the original owner of the tree. He stated that it was owned by a man that didn't like figs and gave him access to the tree. Dan may have been the first to find it and the biggest promoter although he didn't want to share the tree and disappeared from the fig community.

Cajunb had also publicly posted that he had access to the same parent tree that he had grown and that it lives up to the expectations.

You can imagine how people wouldn't want to share coordinates after seeing the Ponte Tresa scandal.

I don't think we need to know everything. If it is to protect someone's privacy or reputation Pukzpukz would be a lousy friend to disclose it. Pukzpukz has a solid enough reputation to have no reason to fear "sounding fishy" just to give away or sell a fig. I think it's a wonderful idea to auction one here.
              7B Southern NJ

Comment

I think a Lot of Dan and what he has done for figs and his research with them he has found a few heirlooms here in Louisiana . out of respect for Dan and others I consider this question to be a dead issue. We need to respect others here and point are attention to what Dan has done for the Fig world and thank him for finding this fabulous fig.The only thing you are asking in opening a can of worms and bringing past issues up is to re-live the past. I for one would like to see Dan come back into the figs he has a lot of information that is lost without him . Please respect my wishes here and thank you

Comment

This is crazy. Ya'll can keep the fig. I wouldn't take one for free unless Dan himself gave it to me with all this need to hide stuff going on.

Comment

Charlie I think you have mist a bit here . You said you went and look up the information on this and if you know the past you can see the war here this is why things need to be left in the past. We don't need to re-live it and get things going again. One of the main reasons is this is coming from the Mother tree That Dan kept the location in hiding we don't want people going their and chopping the tree apart like they have done in the past with the PT. Some Fig people are crazy I hate too say and their would be a big run on this one here and we Don't need this here in Louisiana

Comment

It's really shouldn't be called Dan's BB10, just BB10. As stated above and in other threads, Dan is not the original source nor is he the only one that has had it all this time. Dan is certainly the person that made a big to due about the BB10 while others were quietly trialing it.

BB10 would have made it out into the world regardless of Dan trying to keep it to himself... again, others already had it.

There has been some bad blood between many people and friendships severed over a tree....

So.... now that we all know, let's please move on and just enjoy OUR shared passion.... FIGS
                      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Sorry about furthering the whole Dan conversation, but I was reading some old posts on GardenWeb which were from 2010. He said he was retired then, so could he have passed away? If I died my family would not be coming on the forums and posting that I died.
                        Andre
                        Western Orange County, FL

Comment

• Kelby
                          Kelby commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Dan was active here last spring, but left due to a misunderstanding. I'm sure he is fine. he tends to be strong willed and often STRONGLY disagrees with others.

• LouNeo
                          LouNeo commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sounds like he would fit right in with most of us!

I apologize for my ranting on and will explain. You take somebody like me who doesn't know the whole deal, who doesn't even know Dan or ever talked to Dan. You hear through the grape vine that somebody got some fig cuttings stole at some point in time. Then you see a post having words like "let the facts be lock up for all Time"...well, what am i supposed to think? For me personally in a situation like this, I want to know the facts. I want to know the material I'm getting isn't from some line of stolen cuttings. I want the lineage of such a great and rare variety, not too much to ask in my opinion. If these simple things can't be answered openly then I simply don't want a part of it. Why even bring the secret story of how this fig got away from Dan up in the first place? If CajunB got it from the original mother tree that Dan did and it went to Wills, to Hershell, to Dave like Wills has posted then why bring Dan back up at all? It just doesn't make any sense. That's why I'm leary about the whole deal and has caused me much stress over people. Where exactly are the cuttings coming from, all the way back to the mother tree, that are going into the benefit auction? If there is indeed a cutting thief running about then I want to know who that is as well. If there's not, then somebody is a liar. I have no use for either a liar or a thief.

Comment

Dan gets brought into it because he named the fig--Black Beauty 10--and he made such a fuss about it...AND (IMO) acted a total ass about it...that he inextricably attached his identity to the fig. Rehashing the details of the various grapevine stories will not affect the provenance of the fig and is only likely to stir up bovine fertilizer that is best left to lie where it is. The fact of the matter is that it is the same fig, possession of it is on the up and up, and those selling it and providing it for the benefit auction are honorable and trustworthy. Wanting more than that is the same as wanting to gossip about someone else and digging up drama that should be dead and buried.
                          Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• Charlie
                            Charlie commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Well to me wanting more is simply wanting to know the truth. I'm satisfied to know if I were to acquire a plant or cuttings that came through the line of CajunB, they were not stolen from Dan. All possessions of the fig are not on the up and up. Ya'll can continue to sweep it under the rug or clean it up. Not my deal or my problem.

Well without really knowing any of the drama involved, it sounds like Dan found a lot of good figs, so great job on that account to Dan. I certainly don't want to stir the pot so to speak, but is there a list of ( Dans ) discovered figs and more importantly sources for them?
                          Again, I'm not trying to start any trouble, just looking for great figs.

Comment

Thanks, I will check it out.

Comment

I need $271.62 maybe more. Can anyone spot me?
                            FAQ: https://tinyurl.com/ydy46as5
                            Zone 7a Wish List: Sodus Sicilian, Nordland, Sal's EL, Gino's and Any Zone 5/6 Fig

Comment

Probably a lot more money then that lol

Comment

Working...
                              X