X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooted Cutting Leaf Problem

This is the 3rd cutting to do this. It rooted very well was looking great and now within the last two days it looks like this and worsening fast! I have kept the soil moist but not wet, given very weak fertilizer (rabbit manure tea) and it gets 10-12 hrs under the grow light a day. What could it be?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Emily, Richmond VA Zone 7

In my unschooled opinion it looks like there is not enough root mass to support the leaves on this cutting. Too many leaves! what I seldom have any leaves on cuttings this late in the season. The goal of rooting a cutting is not to grow leaves, it is to grow roots. The existence of leaves is not an indication that there is root growth. Currently I have cuttings rooting that are branching and have leaves, but there are no roots. They are not ready to be planted. During spring, summer , I would remove the leaves if I made a cutting. It is easier to air layer then prune the leaves back when cutting AL off the mother plant and placing it into a pot. I have grown AL's when I pruned leaves back to one or two. Taking time pruning leaves back until until leaves no longer wilted. That to me was an indication the root mass was able to support the leaves. Hope this helps. C
    Wish List: πŸ™πŸΌ Mavra Sika

Comment

IMO from your description its possible root damage caused by temperature, too much moisture, damping off and or excess soil microbes.

Its some times possible to salvage the cuttings by introducing air into the mix, removing the large leaves to balance the roots and keeping the temperatures at 70 F to 78 F. Good Luck.
      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I call it SFD (Sudden Fig Demise). Here's a thread from last spring:

If you had a very valuable fig plant that was experiencing SFD symptoms, would you consider taking a cutting as an emergency measure? I posted a pic of this young

Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

It's a sad thing to see Emily,I've got a few doing exactly the same as this right now,my guess would be over watering or something else killing off the roots.If anyone has tips on whether these can be saved and how I'd love to hear,Pete,would you suggest un potting them and repotting in a lighter mix?
          Haroon,Birmingham U.K,Zone 8ish
          W/L: Granthams Royal, Gayet,De Tres Esplets,Campaniere,Moscatel Preto,Cavalliere

Comment

• AscPete
            AscPete commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, re-potting is a drier pre-watered well aerated mix may be a solution.

Also for newly rooted cuttings they should never be "watered in", they should be planted in pre-watered, moistened (never wet) cutting mix. Before the bottom of the cuttings are fully callused and the new roots have partially hardened Root Rot (SFD) will often occur If too much moisture and or soil microbes are introduced early.

One of two things. Over watered or was taken out of humid too quickly. If you can shown the roots in photo do so. If bark slides off from under soil. Gone. If gnat larve (clear maggot) infest cutting. Gone. If no larve. No sliding bark. And cutting looks ok re cup in dry mix and leave Be.

when their gone their gone. Unless you have multi node cutting. Even still. Hard to root.
          Last edited by Taverna78; 01-03-2017, 06:25 PM.
          Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
          1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
          2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Thank you all! This is the last of this variety so i am hoping not to loose it. Perhaps I will try up potting into a lighter medium and see if that helps.

Comment

Emily,

Sorry to say but I believe it is already dead. The bark rots under the soil line and while the roots look healthy they are in fact no longer connected to the leaves. Hope I am wrong.
            Cutting sales will start Tuesday Nov 1 at 9:00 eastern

Comment

WillsC - if that is the case could she cut off the part above the soil and possibly save the cutting? Will the rot be evident if she scrapes the bark?
              FAQ: https://tinyurl.com/ydy46as5
              Zone 7a Wish List: Sodus Sicilian, Nordland, Sal's EL, Gino's and Any Zone 5/6 Fig

Comment

Oh yes if it is what I think the bark under the soil will just slide off with little effort. Far as saving it she can try but I have never had any luck doing so. It seems when it slumps the vigor is gone from the cutting. BUT I hope I am wrong and it perks back up and something else made it wilt. Other things can do that especially a plant exposed to very chilly temps for the first time.
                Cutting sales will start Tuesday Nov 1 at 9:00 eastern

Comment

Originally posted by Taverna78 View Post
                  One of two things. Over watered or was taken out of humid too quickly.
                  Like Taverna78 mentions, I've seen mine droop when I removed the humidity conditions to quickly. Going back to what I had fixed it.

Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

Update: I up potted to a dryer lighter mix. There was no obvious rotting but the roots did look pretty small so I also cut off most of the lower leaves. I know have it sitting on a heat mat with a bag over the top of the cutting. I'm still hoping it will pull through. We will see I guess

Comment

• AscPete
                      AscPete commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The heat mat should be thermostatically controlled to maintain a potting mix temperature below ~ 80 F, If its much hotter (90 's) it could damage, slow or stop root growth.
                      Last edited by AscPete; 01-06-2017, 10:59 PM.
                  Working...
                  X