X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Yugo Black now what is it?

I assume it is Yugoslavian Black which I could not find any information on? So what does anyone know about it?

Is it similar to Bethlehem Black which I also have?

Similar to Scotts Black?
    Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

I read it is a Brown Turkey type, lost my cuttings though.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

Charles , if you got it from me, I got it from Dan from NJ (the Chef). It produces large black figs that could be in the BT family, not necessarily a bad thing. There are some pictures posted on the other forum. Mine froze to the ground this year, as did almost everything else.
      Frank Tallahasee 8B
      North Florida Figs

Comment

Hi Frank,

I got it from you or Hershell. It sounds like a decent fig. I'll protect it for a few years until the trunk gets a little size to it. I'll try to find those pics. Thanks

Comment

It is a fig brought over by Dusan from the town Sumadija in Yugoslavia. It is a large
          dark fig that may be a sport of BT. Does have good flavor but ruptures like a BT with rain.
          I asked Dusan whether I could call it Sumadija Dusan as opposed to Yugo Blk and he said
          no problems. The main reason for calling it such is to denote where it came from & from
          whom. I have got rid of my tree as my zone has much rain and cooler weather.

Comment

Thanks, Paul. I did not know that. Issues an an active member of the forums?
            Frank Tallahasee 8B
            North Florida Figs

Comment

Thanks Paul,

I, like Frank, get a lot of rain so Ill watch it and see what happens. I guess I'm several years from fruit though. Maybe Frank will rule it out before I can but then he also gets a little colder than I so may it will work out for me.

Comment

Are you able to protect the tree from rain?
                Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I haven't found rain to be a huge problem compared to some figs. And Charles, I'm sure you don't have to worry about the cold in your location. I think that the open orchard area I have is an anomalously cold microclimate. The trees close to the pines all did well. Live and learn.
                  Frank Tallahasee 8B
                  North Florida Figs

Comment

Frank,

The lake there naturally being low collects all the cold air in your area. It washes down the hill to your fig trees. It doesn't have the necessary mass to provide a protective heat cover. IMHO

Scott,

No All of my trees potted or in ground are in the same area to take advantage of my irrigation system. It runs four times a day. Not necessary at this time of year but later when we have days on end with no rain and high heat I believe it will be helpful.

Comment

Working...
                    X