X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSU - Dr. Leon Standifer.

Does anyone know if Dr. Sandifer is still around. He was a close friend of Dr. O'Rourke and he should be close to 90 yrs old. Just wondering
    Wish List - Any LSU fig

According to Wikipedia he is still alive. 89.

He and O'Rourke apparently wrote a gardening book, Gardening in the Humid South. Sounds like a fun read.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/gard...=9780807129746

Two self-proclaimed "crotchety old horticulture professors," Ed O'Rourke and Leon Standifer share an immense love of gardening, a vast knowledge of all things horticultural, and a hearty sense of humor. In Gardening in the Humid South, they combine all of these traits to provide a practical and entertaining guide to gardening in the region they know best, the humid subtropics of the lower South.

In chapters with titles like "Bulbs and Things That Act Like Bulbs" and "Weeds: Telling Good Guys from Bad Guys," Ed and Leon offer friendly how-to advice on a broad array of issues, including choosing and preparing a cultivation site, raising fruit, growing in containers, using fertilizer, and preparing for cold weather.

Regardless of your gardening style, Ed and Leon can help. Are you a weekend warrior who enjoys leisurely Saturday mornings in the yard? Ed and Leon will show you ways to improve your garden while cutting back on your total effort. Is your yard large enough to keep you busy all day, every day? Ed and Leon know some short cuts that you probably haven't tried. Are you an apartment gardener with only a window sill and a few old pots to cultivate? Ed and Leon have some tips just for you. Even armchair gardeners will delight in living vicariously through the agricultural antics of these witty and wise old hands.

In Gardening in the Humid South, two old friends share their contagious enthusiasm for their avocation and show that despite the hard work, gardening is, above all, fun.

LSU Press
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

I can tell you before you buy the book there is very little information in it about fig trees.
      Jennings, Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a

Comment

The book is not about figs, it is an insight to Dr. O'Rourke and Dr. Sandifer, and the relationship of colleagues that were great friends.
        Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

I'm just saying that I bought the book hoping Dr O'Rourke would discuss something about his fig research and varieties that he developed.
          Jennings, Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a

Comment

I'll be buying this figs or not. So many Southern garden books assume everyone lives in a line drawn from South Carolina to Birmingham, AL. That area is almost a world away from the Coastal South. It is ordered and hopefully I'll get it Wednesday with Amazon Prime.
            Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

• Darkman
              Darkman commented
              Editing a comment
              Did not arrive Wednesday but should today!
          Working...
          X