X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, fig folks!

I just read instructions on how to start a thread thanks to Wills. So, I thought I'd introduce myself. I live in CT and work in the library at Eastern CT State University. Before that I worked in my own studio, managed a studio where they hand printed clothing, and set up shows in art galleries for other artists. I did some staging of houses for realtors. I also worked at an AZA zoo in CT ( Beardsley ) and specialized in predators, wolves in particular. I was certified as an animal handler with the AZA in 1994.

Obviously, I have Dobermans and have for almost forty years. Some have been my farm dogs, some have been rescue dogs, and some have been show dogs. Thankfully, my husband shares my love of canines. I lost my second stud dog last May and now we have only his daughter, Nikita. I don't breed dogs, but I think of myself as the keeper of the genetics of my breeder's line, because she places her males with me. We moved from our farm to a smaller property when my husband had an accident and we needed a house that was only one story. At the farm I had a 26 X 46 ft greenhouse and raised heirloom vegetable plants, herbs, and perennials. Someone I worked with gave me cuttings of his fig tree that he'd brought with him when he came from Sicily. I asked him what kind they were and he said "brown". That's pretty much my whole background in figs. I planted them in the biggest clay pots I could find and left them on the floor of the greenhouse. Their roots went through the pots and into the ground and they got to be about eight feet tall and I got about a bushel from them every year. I left the house unheated in winter, the figs went dormant, and in the spring they'd come back strong and hard. The farm still belongs to my husband and his siblings, but the year after we moved we had a really bad storm and the greenhouse collapsed under the weight of the snow before we could get there to clean it off. The figs tipped in their pots and their roots snapped and much to my horror they were gone.

Last fall a man I buy my vegetable and flower plants from now gave me a fig tree from a cutting from his tree in one of his greenhouses. All I know about it is he got his tree from his father, who got it from his father who came from Italy with cuttings and started their greenhouse business. I asked him what kind it was and he said "green". Seriously, how is a person supposed to learn anything?

I was surfing the net thinking I might find someone who I could get a fig tree from with a variety name other than brown or green. I came across Wills and here I am. Please understand I really don't know much about figs other than I love to eat them, think the plants are beautiful, and they seem to grow for me. I have a three season porch I wintered the green fig over in and it's starting to push buds, so I believe I can winter over others. I have a Ponderosa Lemon that lives on the porch and it does just fine. The lemon I've had for twenty five years and when I bought it they said to keep it pot bound and I have. It's twelve inches high and about twenty five inches wide and produces lemons every year. A friend of mine who passed away several years ago was a Japanese Landscape designer and he always said I have a gift for bonsai and that's why the lemon is so small. Logee's in Danielson, Ct is fairly close to me now and that's where I got the three inch tree from originally.

I plan to do a lot of reading here and learn from all of you...so thanks in advance for bringing me out of my "brown and green" phase of fig gardening. I think my next tree will be a Petite Negra. I hope I've chosen wisely.
    Windham CT zone 6a

Welcome Dobemom
    Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

Welcome to Ourfigs forum Dobemom
      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Welcome to the forum! You will find an overwhelming amount of fig information here, plus great people!
        Phil
        Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Welcome - I enjoyed reading your intro. Shame about the "brown" Italian fig. Is it gone forever i.e. any chance you could get cuttings from another source?
          Steve
          D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
          WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Welcome. Some of us have red ones.
            Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• Darkman
              Darkman commented
              Editing a comment
              and don't forget the White figs

Or the Striped ones!!!

And green and yellow....

I'm sure there's a brown cutting out there waiting for you....maybe even with a name
            Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Hello Dobemom,

Welcome to Our Fig forum community...
              There are hundreds of fig trees in the NYC area, their owners usually only refer to them as "Dark" or "Light" Figs.
              Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Welcome! Honestly, most figs are purple. Please don't get a petit negrA. That's usually a brown turkey and it won't ripen well for you. Petit Negri is a better fig. But you have to buy it from someone reliable. Hardy Chicago is tough to kill and has a great fruit. Ronde de Bordeau would also be good. Florea, desert king, Marseilles VS Black are all fairly early and very good. You'll undoubtedly hear about others. How many acres are you willing to put under glass?
                Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Wow. That's a great introduction. I like Logee's catalog and plan to visit someday. Welcome to the forum.
                  NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

• dobemom
                    dobemom commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You'll love Logee's. Just make sure you plan on having the better part of a day to visit. There's a lot there to see.

Welcome Dobemom from a fellow nutmeger.
                  Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

• dobemom
                    dobemom commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks! I spend a lot of time in Waterford. My husband is a designer at EB and we do a lot of work for the Gemma Moran food bank.

Aloha and welcome to the addiction, Dobemom.
                  Faith, family, friends and figs. (Not necessarily in that order).

Comment

Welcome.

Doug

Comment

Welcome to the forum Dobemom!

Comment

Welcome!
                        Rafael
                        Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

Welcome to the forum dobemom!
                          Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
                          Zone 8B

Comment

Welcome, dobemom. My father-in-law and I will be making the short trip down to Logee's in a few weeks to do our yearly spring shopping there. I love just walking around the greenhouses. It's a truly amazing place to explore.

I have 3 figs from Logee's (Petit Negra, Desert King and Ischia Green). I'm thinking about a Viollette de Bourdeaux or Black Mission for this years addition.

I'm about a year removed from the "brown and green fig" phase of my fig gardening and now I have over 12 different varieties.

Welcome again, there are some other folks from the CT area that might be able to help expand your fig collection.
                            Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• dobemom
                              dobemom commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Enjoy your outing. We try to always go on New Year's Day. The tropical collection is always in flower then and it's like taking a miniature vacation to escape winter. I've never even thought of figs at Logee's. I'll have to check them out next time I'm there.
                          Working...
                          X