X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up potted a few cuttings today

So, this is my first year rooting cuttings. I've tried a few different methods, made some mistakes, lost a few and finally think I'm closing in on figuring it out. I up potted 7 young trees today and moved them to my in garage ghetto greenhouse, here's hoping that it's not to soon and not to much of change.

I also moved a few more cuttings from the moss box to the humidity bin today, like an assembly line if you plan it all out. Wills, the Nero 600M it the first of the cutting I got from you to root. Several others are showing signs of pushing roots in the next few to several days, thanks again!

Scott
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Nice, be prepared to be humbled if you havent been already! My first season rooting fig cuttings was almost a total failure. Did you keep some cuttings in the fridge for a second and third attempt if some of the ones you started fail? That was a hard lesson learned for me! Congrats on the success, keep it up!
    Rob

Comment

Rob,

I planned to keep additional rounds of cuttings in the fridge in the event of failure.... I however didn't. ...... due to the nature of my job. If I had not of shattered my foot, I would not be home layed up and able to root these cuttings. And I may not have another opportunity to start cuttings for years. So I did what I had to and I'll just have to live with what I get. If i get one of each cultivar, that's all i ask, more then that I'm inflicting friends and family, if i have some cultivars that all fail.... that's how it goes.

So here's to beginners luck.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Hope they all root for you, Scott! If I have extras come spring maybe I'll send a few plants.
        https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
        SE PA
        Zone 6

Comment

What's happening Kelby?

So far, so good. Most of the cuttings of every cultivar is rooting, the ones I lost were from the earliest trials of different techniques and thankfully, I had plenty to spare. I now know what works for me and things seems to be going well, but I know I'm not out of the woods Untill they are in 1 gallon pots outside in full sun.

So, until then it's one day at a time.

I appreciate your offer, we'll have see what happens. My wife already thinks I'm crazy, I've gone from 4 potted plants to 9 and have another 20 + cultivars rooting. Not a giant jump compared to some people a leap none the less.
          Last edited by COGardener; 02-16-2015, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Since being potted up, and spending the night in their new location, just one is slightly wilted today. I suspect that cutting will be back to full speed in a few days.

Comment

My wife already thinks I'm crazy
              That's a pretty common theme around here!
              Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
              Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• COGardener
                COGardener commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh my yes.....

What temperature is your garage at?
              Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

The garage it's self never drops below 50*F. Inside the garage greenhouse, it averages 85* to 87*F.

Comment

How bout you Scott? Any good news from the Ukns ?

Comment

Sounds like your cuttings did well. Not that I would count my figs before they are ripe of course but it sound like your plants are doing great. Good luck and happy growing.
                    NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisk View Post
                      How bout you Scott? Any good news from the Ukns ?
                      with only a couple exceptions, so far the Lenora parks are doing quite well. I was delayed in getting the Slidels into the rooting chamber until a couple days ago. So hopefully I will see roots in a couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by SharonC View Post
                        Sounds like your cuttings did well. Not that I would count my figs before they are ripe of course but it sound like your plants are doing great. Good luck and happy growing.
                        They are. ... were.... are again. The soil I up potted them into dried out much faster then I expected, I got busy, did not look at them for a couple days. .. and they dried out pretty bad.... oops!!!!

So, they are making a come back slowly, thankfully, most of them anyway. And a lesson learned for me.... all of that work and nurturing. .... then bam.

Comment

Working...
                        X