X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSU Gold breba

I have a LSU Gold that has been in the ground for two years. Beautiful strong tree with 10 or 12 breba figs. I don't recall it having these last year. Is there a chance they might ripen? Last year was the first time my Celeste had breba figs but they all fell off several weeks in. I'm in zone 8b Louisiana.
    Thanks
    Pine Prairie, LA 8B

Hi Jerry,

My LSU Gold has Breba also as it did last year. It also has Squirrels which love to eat Brebas and any other fig. I hope to get some this year as I have a few more. My tree is about five years old and grows vigorously. It is about twelve feet tall now.

Lots of good Fig folk over in South Louisiana. Some of them may be your neighbor. Why don't you take a second and add a signature with your city.
    Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

Thanks Darkman. Hopefully I will get to taste a breba then. July 10 is my normal first fig date with Celeste. Seems like forever.

I will try to add my town to my post. Using my smart phone and it really should be called something else in my hands.
      Speaking of home towns, I am working down near you in Panama City right now. Beautiful weather the last few days.
      Pine Prairie, LA 8B

Comment

• Darkman
        Darkman commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerry on your way back to LA please feel free to call me or come by. Love to have you do that. I sent a PM with my Cell number.

Thanks for adding your location.
        Last edited by Darkman; 04-08-2015, 07:59 AM.

My LSU Gold breba are usually ready in middle May. in good years i can get three crops from my Gold, depending on the weather.

Good Luck!

Comment

A fig in May would definitely be welcome! I may need a few more holds. Rooted some just for the heck of it or gifts. Now I just need to cut a few pines down to make room.
        Pine Prairie, LA 8B

Comment

i hear you on that. im on 2/3rd of an acre, with nearly 30 Pines

Comment

I have 12 acres with planted pines on half of that. Not enough to sell and if someone would cut them it makes such a mess its not worth it. Sometimes I think I should just bulldoze them. Then we can talk figs!
            Pine Prairie, LA 8B

Comment

• Darkman
              Darkman commented
              Editing a comment
              Cut them down, limb and take them to a mill for lumber. Use a back hoe for the stumps, root removal and to level out the area. Then you'll have a fig orchard area ready to plant.

That's quite a job. I work 14 days and off 7. Sometimes its all I can do to get
            the grass cut. I have talked to someone needing lumber for a shop. We might end up working something out.
            Pine Prairie, LA 8B

Comment

Working...
            X