X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone growing Lyndhurst white and Latarolla side by side are they the same?

I know one member has stated on f4f that he believed Lyndhurst White and Latarolla are the same, but does anyone else feel this way? I have both, but have not gotten any figs yet from Lyndhurst White.

LOL, I haven't gotten any from Lattarolla. Maybe this year we'll know. I'll put mine side by side when they come out. Which gives me an idea...
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

I don't know if I was that person, but the leaves are very similar and the fruit-size, color (exterior and interior), and taste seems very close if not identical. I have had fruit from both for the past two years and have thought they were the same ( even growth habits).

Comment

Thanks Bill! It was Dr. Leon. it's good to know though. I have both and try to not keep to many trees that are the same even if they are from different origins. I need to thin the herd....

Comment

We need a chart of (CONFIRMED by several respected sources) fig synonyms.
          Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

• Hershell
            Hershell commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with you on that Charles.

Latarolla and Lyndhurst White leaves looked the same to me last year. Should be able to compare fruit this year.

Lyndhurst White currently is carrying a bunch of breba. None on the Latarolla, though the Latarolla is younger, about a year old.

Can anyone comment on the breba productivity and taste of L and LW breba? I'm impressed by what the LW is doing now.
          Tony WV 6b
          https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• Kelby
            Kelby commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting, I may keep my LW in a pot instead of planting (assuming it's alive, looks rough) if it is a heavy breba producer.

• mountainfigs
            mountainfigs commented
            Editing a comment
            The map in my head of breba flavor and timing, productivity and size, and potential by cultivar is scant compared to the map for main crop figs. I hope to expand the breba map hopefully by leaps and bounds this year. Will have to do it firsthand apparently since far less seems to be written about brebas than main crop.

Couple photos today of Lyndhurst White breba figlets and a single Latarolla breba figlet.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
          Tony WV 6b
          https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

I have them growing side by side.
            Dennis
            Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

Do you think they are the same?

Comment

GTO, my current notes indicate that they are the same or very closely related. Both have a large beautiful leaf pattern! I had a large Lattrolla a few years back and now it's gone. I can't find it at the moment. Over the years, I sold and gave away a lot of plants. I have several large LWs in SWPs. I just received a new Lattrolla in the mail last week from a friend. It's a young plant ---in a 4 inch pot. However it does have large leaves on it that resembles my 5 LWs. I'm gonna push this little guy with my special liquid fertilizer and it should be 6 feet tall come September. In September, bump up this thread and I will post pics on both. Or if you come to my fig festival in August....you will see for yourself.
                Dennis
                Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

Nice. I'm going to plant one in ground and see what happens. I've been trying to keep an eye all around the new house to see where the best place to plant is. I don't know if you put it out there already, but care to disclose your special liquid fertilizer? As far as coming down there I would love it, but I don't know we just bought this house and a Miriad of other crazy things going on. We have a destination wedding and a regular vacation, plus a regular wedding packed into August. It's going to be an Interesting summer.

Comment

Working...
                  X