X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alma health poll

Trustworthy sources report that Alma is immune to FMV, due to being an interspecific hybrid of Ficus palmata.
    When diagnosing Fig Bud Mites for spotty leaves Alma in fact helped me zero in.
    Please vote (for an easy tally) and comment below with the FMV and health status of your Alma. If you think your Alma has FMV please update at a later date with pics as evidence (since you are making a bold claim you should substantiate it!) Votes are otherwise private.
    Thanks for participating!
    Totally healthy.
    100.00%
    I don't know for sure, spots on leaves, grows slow etc. (comment below).
    0%
    100% FMV symptoms, I ruled out Fig Mite spotting. (comment below).
    0%
    Last edited by hoosierbanana; 04-08-2015, 01:02 AM.

I have several Alma because they rooted like weeds grow. I'm not always able to distinguish 100 percent between FMV and simple stress, I suppose, so would have to vote both 1 and 2: totally healthy (some specimens) and marks on leaves, other specimens.

What I think I've learned about Alma is that because it is so vigorous, almost any pot it is put into is too small. For me it grows like crazy at first in pot then stunts itself. The leaves though remain perfect.

When I drilled many extra holes in a pot and embedded it a bit in ground, boom, it took off. The fast growth and maybe later weather issues might have been the cause of some leaf discoloration. I've assumed stress rather than FMV.

Here in zone 6 thus far Alma has not been an easy fig. I do appreciate the more or less unique leaves though. And as with most any fig, I hold out hope for when it gets older. Hereabout it will need to ripen earlier and taste better. I do look forward to its leaves though and would like to set one apart to get the full effect when not in a hedge.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I am grafting onto my Almas Tony, the motive for this poll. They dropped all the fruit in 2013 and did not get enough heat last year to be any good.

Comment

• mountainfigs
        mountainfigs commented
        Editing a comment
        Will be interested to hear down the road how well the grafts do on the mighty Almas.

Hey Brent my Alma sisters show no sign of the FMV virus. They are such prolific gals I've termed them the "put-out gals" and have sometimes wondered if I should test them for others "viruses". LOL.

Don't get me started on my VD.
      Frank Tallahasee 8B
      North Florida Figs

Comment

And they are good lookin' too!!!!!

Comment

I am currently rooting three Alma cuttings and they are by far the healthiest looking "growing cuttings" ever so I'm very confident to vote 100% healthy! Looking forward to trying these figs!

Comment

• hoosierbanana
            hoosierbanana commented
            Editing a comment
            Triplets! You hedonist ; )

• Chrisk
            Chrisk commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol. In that case I definitely am!
        Working...
        X