X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taverna78
    Vetern Member Fabio
    • Mar 2015

well I tried... Eaten tree nightmare update..

I will post photo separate.....

Well I try my best but I think I waisted my time. Went to farm after work until 1030 pm and left not feeling hopeful of new growth on existing out branches. I didn't even bother with air layers. I took as many good "still have uneaten" nodes and pruned back. My brother was very stern on spraying our papa tree with pruning sealer and tree tape but I think it was waist. Here's conditions of all the trees that are not 100% dried out and brittle.
    They were not buried deep enough below the frost line and are pretty sure tis was rabbit because of the vast amount of droppings we found in the trench.
    So starting from the roots... All but one trees roots are great healthy fresh large balls. Strong. From the very top of the highest root connected to main trunks is where the problems start. On all the trees forget girdling... Some from tip top to the roots its self all the bark and green is completely gone. There's nothing to air layer or make cutting from. Like a monster ate all my skin off my body. Every tree is like that besides papa tree which trunks are same but 1/2 way up there was some bark and green but almost every single node was chewed off. I have never seen tis bad in my life of fig or any tree at that. I managed cuttings and rather would of just cut back to ground but again my brother has his say too. So I hope I did right. And see photos.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.
  • sppsp
    • Feb 2015

I hope the roots put out new grow to make branches. Last year I cut my tree all the way down to soil line because of tree borer. I was surprised when I saw new growth from the ground. Now, it is a small bush about 2.5 feet high. Again I hope your trees will survive for you. Good luck buddy.
    Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

• Taverna78
      Vetern Member Fabio
      • Mar 2015

The fist set of photo is trees that will survive and tree that have been treated by my brother. I still think we should of cut them down but he and I hopes. If you look close between the 2 naked trunk closely you will see small bark patch on 3rd trunk. That's all that was left... Also small baby tree was found unharmed so this will re grow from roots of my big tree and couple other we find small but unharmed.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

• Taverna78
        Vetern Member Fabio
        • Mar 2015

Now for the depression... These photo are very saddening... But again I no give up and I have high hopes! I know one is gone for sure but any tips or thoughts are huge help to me and my brother.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 12 photos.

Comment

• rusty hooks
          • Apr 2015

this is depressing....to say the least...my heartfelt sympathy

This won't help Taverna78...but there is currently an opening for the purchase of 2000 vine protectors...16" in height...used, from a vineyard in Napa Ca.....this thread has got me seriously considering those...as well as something else to deal with the jackrabbits I have around before I put any trees out
          Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

• Taverna78
            Vetern Member Fabio
            • Mar 2015

Thank you buddy. I understand that nature takes its course. And animals don't know what's wrong and right to eat.... And I know people have lost a lot more than I due to tis issues. I can not be upset at Mother Nature. I can only blame myself for not taking the right precautions to PREVENT it to happen. Tis tree is like my trophy that I have for my papa to see and feel proud of me and know he teach me well on growing it every time he sees it. I tell him what happened but I'm sure he could ever imagine how bad it is. I feel like I let him down and I hope he will be with us long enough to see it at the size it was at before rabbit eat them. For a son to let down his father is a worst feeling then I would have to lose all my trees. If the cover you speak of is available and your plant is priceless to you as my tree is. Don't put a price on protecting your trophy or your history behind your plant.
            Last edited by Taverna78; 04-08-2015, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• andreas-patras
              • Feb 2015

my heart sunk after looking at your pictures. i hope they make it...
              andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

• WillsC
                Admin / Owner
                • Feb 2015

Very sad and on top of that with it being a family tree........hoping for the best Mike.

Comment

• Yeehova
                  • Feb 2015

Ahh! That is horrible! I feel 1% of your pain since only one off my trees was girdled, my only VDB! I do have a couple rooted cuttings I can send you if you are interested. Sorry for your loss.
                  Brian
                  Coastal NC, humid 8A

Comment

• Taverna78
                    Vetern Member Fabio
                    • Mar 2015

Thank you for your kindness yeehova I do not want to waist any one of my friends trees. Please continue to do great job in growing these rooted cuttings for future! I have had very pleasant and generous offers from members and I want you all to know how much I am greatful for tis. I am near Chicago and papa tree was still dormant. I take 70 cutting from it before I take her down to ground. What I would like to do Is make a list of fig I have cutting and rooted for me to post and maybe someone will trade me for something I no have. I will not be able to take on all these cutting I have as gifts and from father tree. I will make papa tree come back but I do not need 70 of same tree. I do not know the authentic name of tis tree. It came from our mountain and there they call purple fig. But I think would be nice for all my friends here to have a piece of my home

Comment

• nepenthes
                      nepenthes commented
                      Editing a comment
                      One of the reasons that I became so very interested in growing figs is because of the stories and rich history that goes into each tree. Knowing how much you care for your family tree is so wonderful and I'd love a chance to grow it. I'm sure all the fig lovers and friends here wouldn't mind a papa tree in their yards, too. My thoughts are with you that your original tree pulls through!
                  • Chrisk
                    Spirit of Community
                    • Feb 2015

Sorry brother but this leaves me speachless. Sorry about your trees and I hope you somehow get to restore that priceless family airloom! The only tree that I have and resembles anything purple is my LSU Purple and even though it is nothing like yours I could make a nice air layer for you! I know you get a bunch of offers so let me know!
                    Best regards

Comment

• Taverna78
                      Vetern Member Fabio
                      • Mar 2015

Grazie Grazie !

You all are so wonderful and generous!! I will send you all cutting because it touch my heart with compassion for tis fruit you all have. I will make post hopefully tomorrow with story of tree and pictures of papa home and tree from Italia that still grow there today long after. I wish for everyone to have a part of my family. Because you all act to me like family with help and wishes.

Comment

• pppldj
                        Fig Phenom
                        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Taverna78 View Post
                        It came from our mountain and there they call purple fig.
                        Now here, you just can't call it purple fig. You must name it. With that many cuttings to distribute, it needs a distinctive name.
                        PPP
                        Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

• JimmyS
                          • Feb 2015

I am sadden the family trees received so much damage.
                          New Bern NC Zone 8a ,Wish list : Col de Dame Rimada ,Galica Negra

Comment

• Taverna78
                            Vetern Member Fabio
                            • Mar 2015

JimmyS I are too. I never have tis happen. But maybe is for reason. Member "RustyHooks" stated because he hear and see what happen to me and papa tree he think more about precautions for his own trophys.. So maybe for one man loss help many more save? WillsC has been my teacher and savior and I salute him Grazie for responding to my every question even if I forget he answer already even being busy with his belle greenhouse!! So yes I am sad BUT with every great failure comes many learning experience for all!

Comment

• Taverna78
                              Vetern Member Fabio
                              • Mar 2015

PPPLDJ,

I would love to name tis tree but I learn I can not just "give tree a name" they say is process and will take many years... But if I ever get chance to name will be after my papa... He deserve it for his surreal parenting and being my best friend. I attach photo but maybe members see before... Tis is 5 year ago us hugging our trophy ( Bambino )
                              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• rusty hooks
                                rusty hooks commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Here's hoping your rootstock comes back and shoots with all it's strength.

• pppldj
                                pppldj commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Beautiful. Nice and healthy. I really believe that it will put out from the roots. All is not lost.
                            • joann1536
                              • Feb 2015

Tristissimo!!
                              I hope that all is not lost, and that your tree will regrow from live roots.
                              USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

• Taverna78
                                Vetern Member Fabio
                                • Mar 2015

Grazie Joann 1536

I hope as well.

Comment

• fitzski
                                  Fig Phenom
                                  • Feb 2015

I hope you have the same experience my brother did when his fig tree (inherited from his Portugese father-in-law) was girdled. It didn't look good for a few months but then sometime in late May/early June a single shoot sprouted from the base. He still has this tree today although it's no longer an in-ground tree. He keeps it in a half whiskey barrel and brings it into his garage for the winter.

His tree was much smaller than yours so here's hoping you get multiple strong shoots from your family tree.
                                  Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• Taverna78
                                    Vetern Member Fabio
                                    • Mar 2015

Grazie Fitzski. Yes I know she will come back. I believe in karma. Maybe she grow stronger and bigger now. Tis weekend I cut them all to ground and spread bucket of horse @@@@a and maybe mulch soil mix on them. I hope to have good news in few months.

Comment

• Taverna78
                                      Vetern Member Fabio
                                      • Mar 2015

A few of the cuttings I take from eaten tree that I am going to try to root has a couple nodes chewed down to wood. The cutting is still covered in hard bark completely and good green layer under bark. When I prep to root them I normally wax the top of cutting should I put wax or pruning sealer over the removed node as well? There are plenty of healthy untouched nodes on tis cutting but I wonder about the one that's chewed off?

Comment

• rusty hooks
                                        • Apr 2015

IMHO...
                                        I would seal up any holes, cracks or any way for foreign invaders to enter the cutting....I've used parafilm, wax and sealer...my personal preference is sealer...cover now and cover again in a couple weeks when the sealer drys into the crack

How many cuttings can you salvage?...and what diameter?

I'm one of the new guys here....I'm sure there are many opinions on this subject
                                        Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

• Taverna78
                                          Vetern Member Fabio
                                          • Mar 2015

That what I was thinking as well. I've gotten about 70 undisturbed perfect cuttings ranging from pencil size to a little smaller in diameter then a 12oz water bottle. I plan on trying to trade off majority of the real good cuttings and keeping some for myself and trying to root the ones with node damage. Soon as I have some time hopeful tis weekend I will make new post with pictures and story behind my tree and list of cuttings and species I already have for people to see and maybe Want to trade. Tis is one of the big cutting.....
                                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• n8b8s
                                            • Mar 2015

Taverna, I'm glad to hear that you're still hopeful. I can only imagine what it's like to still have such a real connection to Italy. My great-grandfather's name is on Ellis Island, but my generation in the family has some work to do strengthening our connection to our roots before it's too late. A friend of mine is about to return from 2 weeks of couchsurfing from Sicily to Milan, and it was all I could do not to sneak myself into her bags on her flight there (or send her with a pair of pruning shears).
                                            Nate
                                            Ithaca, NY. Zone 6a.

Comment

• Darkman
                                              Dirt Master
                                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Taverna78 View Post
                                              That what I was thinking as well. Tis is one of the big cutting.....
                                              I'm not sure if that will allow air exchange. Maybe Para Film would be better.

Seal small injuries with Elmer's school glue. It is non-toxic.
                                              Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

Working...
                                              X