X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damage and recovery

So, first the bad news... most or even all of many figs were probably killed to the ground. I mostly blame a freak mid November frost that got down to 17° even before my figs went dormant. The good news is that almost all are budding out at ground level. How many buds would you leave? In the long term I would like to have trees with a maximum of four trunks. Would you pinch buds now or wait it out and prune in the future? My trees are still popping new buds.
    Brian
    Carolina Zone 7b/8a Wanted: Col De Dame

I don't see what harm it would cause to leave four of the best shoots and remove the others as they appear. That way all the new growth would be directed into those new shoots.
    Steve
    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
    WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

I have many that died back to the ground also and will be doing the same thing, leaving the four best shoots.
      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

I have more damage than I originally thought too. What I found difficult last year was deciding how far back to prune the dead or unhealthy wood. My concern was that if you have a bed sending out a shoot from the region of the trunk where it transitions from dead to healthy, perhaps that particular shoot won't do as well as one a little further down the trunk. So you really have to make all those difficult pruning decisions before you choose the four shoots. I don't see any green buds yet on my in-ground trees but hopefully in a couple weeks I be doing what you all are doing.
        Steve
        D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
        WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

So I have a couple trees, such as a Hardy Chicago with 5 existing trunks that remained green throughout winter yet have thrown up some soil level buds. I am sure the tree is still alive but all of the new buds areent on the existing trunks yet, but they will probably appear soon. I think I will wait on these for now.
          Brian
          Carolina Zone 7b/8a Wanted: Col De Dame

Comment

Working...
          X