X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white fig candidates to go in ground

Now that it warming up and we are getting the new house set up. I'm thinking about the most important thing now, mainly where will my figs go. I'm going to plant my Hardy Chicago and MBVS back in ground and I'm thinking now that I have more property I might throw a white fig in ground. Some candidates I'm leaning towards are a Lyndhurst white, Brooklyn white. They are currently in 25g pots but the trees are not to big, and it would be nice to cut down on the big pots like that. If they didn't make it with the winter I won't be to upset. I also have a JH Adriatic in a 15g that has gotten some votes. I haven't gotten any figs from it yet though. I do have plenty of other white figs and I'm totally open to other suggestions. Basically,a good cold hard white fig that does well in the northeast for ripening with a shorter season and not always the best weather. We have had some pretty bad winters lately and I'm a little leery about them getting zapped

Not sure, but I feel like if H2 were here he'd vote JHA or Atreano. My white figs haven't come into much harvests yet so this is hearsay.
    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Have fun with the new yard!
      Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
      Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Yes, Cal is spot on, Adriatic JH and Atreano are good choices. Battaglia is a good choice as well. Also, Italian 258 which is a sort of white fig.
        Rafael
        Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

i have 3 suggestions.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
          andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

• Chrisk
            Chrisk commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow !!! Andrea you did it again brother! Awesome looking figs and pics! Thanks for sharing!

Here's a fairly good list of the hardier white figs: Adriatic JH, Atreano (marginal), Battaglia Green (late ripening), Brooklyn White, Excel (maybe?), Green Ischia, Italian Honey, Latarolla, LSU Gold, and Stella.

My money is on Adriatic JH still.
          https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
          SE PA
          Zone 6

Comment

I think others have reported that Atreano and Adriatic JH have ripened after die-back to ground. Haven't tried those yet. So far in my yard the lone light fig that has ripened after die-back to ground is Binello. It ripened late though, so only a few of the figs pictured actually ripened. Good light fresh strawberry taste.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
            Tony WV 6b
            https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Italian Honey, Lattarula or St. Anthony are also good choices for a white fig that meets your criteria.
              Good Luck.
              Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Panevino White, Battaglia or JH Adriatic

Comment

Latarrula is a short season fig. Not bad, reliable and productive. How about a yellow fig ? Marylane is great tasting.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have Battaglia, but it looks like the trunk did get a little dead spot from this past winter, plus I feel like I have read that they can need a longer season. I do have an italian honey That is smaller. No panevino white though. JH Adriatic seems to be a good choice. Maybe I plant two white ones, lol.

Comment

Hi Marcus.
                      Good luck with your new house. My choice would be- Longue D'aout - Fico bianco Siciliano and Long yellow.
                      Vito

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
                        Rafaelissimmo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Vito! Good to see you here!

• Kelby
                        Kelby commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Can you tell us anything about Fico Bianco? I have a small one I know nothing about other than it's a white fig. Assuming we have the same variety, of course.

Thanks Vito! The only one on that list I have is LdA. It's been a slow grower for me and no figs yet. Has that been cold hardy?

Comment

How about Conadria? I know a couple northern growers like it's earliness and reliability, but I think their plants are in pots...
                        Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
                        Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

Marcus, I posted the ones that I like, for the hardness, I don't know, all mine are in pots.

Hi Rafael. The Smith cuttings are doing great. Thank you very much. l hope I can reciprocate soon.

Kelby, the fico Bianco Siciliano is a BelleClare fig #77 ( Large, white dark red center,( 2 crops.

Vito
                          Last edited by vito12831; 04-09-2015, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Kelby
                            Kelby commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks Vito, we'll see if mine is the same.

Thanks Vito! I'll have to keep an eye out for fico Bianco

Comment

My experience with Battaglia is that it is one of the few figs that taste good when not even fully ripe. I ate some around Thanksgiving that were just hanging around.

Comment

That's good to know. I'm sure your in a slightly colder zone then I am. My Battaglia is a good size. I'm a little concerned about this dead spot on the trunk it has, like it might be a little weakened if it went inground. The buds are already swelling so it's not slowing it down as of yet.

Comment

The only pure white-green fig that produced fruit for me is my Peters Honey and I loved the large and tasty figs last year. This year it is loaded with brebas and sounds like a good choice for you ,being a two crop fig! Best of luck with whatever you end up choosing!!
                                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Another late ripener but excellent one is Brogiotto Bianco -- a king fig.

Comment

Working...
                                  X