X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way for Storing cuttings?

Ciao everyone,
    Okay so I send cutting from my tree to my friend and says that they are very light and dry for their size. These have been in my fridge for a week now not in air tight just wrapped in plastic bag. I have the 70 I just take tues Saran wrapped couple per bundle but I do not want tis to happen to the 70 as I plan on trading them out. What is the best way to preserve cuttings in the fridge and can I rehydrate them like soak in water for a day? Tis could be from the girdling I was told. I really don't want to have to root 100 cuttings tis Saturday to insure they will survive but I will if there's no sure fire way to rehydrate them.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

I'm not sure about figs specifically, but when I've stored cuttings, rhizomes, and tubers in my fridge, I've had the best luck by individually wrapping them in paper towels or newspapers dampened with very dilute bleach (1:9) and keeping them in zippered freezer bags. This might be enough to rehydrate them without waking them up before you're ready.
    Nate
    Ithaca, NY. Zone 6a.

Comment

I think in this case the issue is the rabbits and the girdling they did. The cuttings are VERY dry........they float........I cut the ends and submerged them in water to try to get them to rehydrate. I'm just not sure how this will effect the rooting.
      Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        I feel bad Will. I didn't know they were dry. I took the rest of that batch last night and snipped ends and soaked underwater until tis morning. Tis morning only 2 were floating. I left them two in water while I go to work but rest I wrapped in moist paper towel and have in air tight ziplock. PLEASE keep me informed if they do not look like they will make it. I will send you more from the new batch.

has the bark on the cuttings "wrinkled" lengthwise?....WillsC is right about hydrating them...they may be a bit too dry...give her a go.

cut the bottom tips of the cuttings at a 60 degree angle...it'll increase the absorption space 2X or so of a straight cut, it'll also keep the reference

direction clear. Got my fingers crossed for you.
      Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes clear thank you buddy. I did tis last night after I spoke to Will. I figured as much when he tell me they float. I never had to do tis ( put in water to see if sink ) but I sure will do so now on

How cuttings were re-hydrated around 1900 and their rooting techniques. The re-hydration info may be useful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rooting dry cuttings.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	14396
      PPP
      Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow that's a lot of work to rehydrate haha!

I rehydrated one Panachee cutting last year just simply wrapping in a moist paper towel and keeping it in a plastic bag for a few days . I then changed the towel to a drier one and continued rooting for a few weeks. The cutting rooted fine. Sadly , I lost it later for the unrelated reasons.
      USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        Same for you greenfig. If your cutting is no good please let me know and I will send you some from new batch. I'm sorry about tis

PPP, Interesting info on rehydrating cuttings. Thanks.
      Bill - Long Island, NY 7a
      Wish List: Glacia Negra and any fig from Bari.

Comment

The new batch of cuttings are should be good. Nice weight to them and has super green layer. I will put in water tonight for sink or swim.
        Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
        1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
        2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Working...
        X