X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too soon to start air layers? (pics)

My potted trees have put on a couple inches of growth and appear to be wide awake. Is it safe to start doing air layers this early in the season? Our daytime temps are 60s and 70s with low 50s at night. If it is safe, does it matter how many I do per tree?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

I was thinking the same thing. I have a few trees that I brought indoors a few weeks ago. They look like the ones in your picture. I thought about doing at least two air layers on a tree but not sure if I'm jumping the gun with the outcome resulting in failure. I owe a member a tree and would like to get it to him before the onset of 90 degree temps.
    Is it best to have the branch aged a bit or am I going to cause the green branch to rot setting it back?
    Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
    Tony
    Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Same reasons for me, Tony. I'd like to get the promised air layers to friends sooner than later.
      For my in-ground trees, I have done green air layers without any issues. They grow so fast compared to pots. I don't know what the outcome would be with potted trees. I'd be doing mine on last year's wood.
      Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

I actually just cut some that I had brewing since February 1st on some figs that had leafed out indoors in a sunny window. All appear to be doing well in their own pots now. My trees looked a lot like the ones you have pictured. I thought it made sense to do them early to take advantage of those just-out-of-dormancy hormones. I imagine as long as the media around the wound is not liable to freeze, then it would be a great time to redirect some energy into root development.

Edit: And I layered more than one branch off the same tree successfully.
        RI Zone 6a
        Container Herder

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'm feeling much better about going for it this early on.
          Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Are you safe from frost already? I know I'm north of you, my last frost date is still 2 weeks away. I trust the long range forecasts as much as I trust politicians...
            Phil
            Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Phil,

I agree. Not completely safe, but I'm ready to move them back into the garage on those cold nights.
              Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Well, it looks like I'll be doing some fig surgery this weekend. I'm hoping the air layers root quickly so they can be sent on their way.
                Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
                Tony
                Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Working...
                X