X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first F. Preto figlets

The cutting was rooted last year , I am very excited! I have not tasted a Preto before.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

I hope they ripen nicely for you. I've been watching my rooted Preto cuttings putter along sloooowly; they put out roots and a couple small leaves and then......I just upped the fertilizer a bit hoping to give them a nudge.
    Yesterday I whip-n-tongue grafted my last piece of this variety onto a 2 year BT- my first fig graft, and I hope that healthy established rootstock will improve the scion's vigor so someday I can enjoy a sight similar to yours!
    Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
    Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

• Rewton
      Rewton commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had similar experiences with rooted Black Madeira and Figo Preto cuttings. It's touch and go for a while. However, once they get past the rooted cutting stage and get potted up they grow pretty well for me. They aren't short season varieties and do need some heat so in Maine you might have trouble ripening them unless you have a greenhouse.

Let us know what you think. It's my #1 favorite fig currently.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Man, that pictures makes me miss being in a higher zone number. My Preto's buds are just now starting to swell.
      Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
      N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

• Rewton
        Rewton commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm in zone 7a and mine haven't leafed out yet either - just some swelling of the buds.

Nice Igor. Yours is a little ahead of mine. I planted 1 in ground and put my other in a 15 gallon, so I hope to taste this one this year also. I was lucky, mine rooted easily last Spring. I kept 2 and gave the 3rd to my nephew. He lives in Healdsburg, which gets much more heat, so I've got backup if we have too mild a Summer. Good luck, and report on taste when you get a ripe one.
      Gary USDA 9A
      Sebastopol, CA

Comment

I just up-potted a couple Pretos into 15 gallon containers last month. I don't remember if I tasted one last year or not - if I did, it obviously was unmemorable from a very young plant. It is one of the ones I'm most looking forward to trying. Hope it's as good as reported.
        SoCal, zone 10.
        www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Thanks everyone! We can all share the experience eating of one of the reportedly tastiest figs around later this summer
          The word is this is the same as a Black Madeira. My BM last year from a young plant was terrible, I hope the FP is going to be much better. It is in a pot and I will try to find the sunniest spot for it.

Gary, my inground trees are also later than the ones in the pots. I explain this by the soil temperature, the pots are much warmer.
          USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Last year I had 3 ripen in cool weather and 2 ripen in the 80s. The 2 ripening in the 80s were much better than the others.
            Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Awesome to have figlets forming this early in the season.
              Hope they ripen nicely for you.
              Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
              Zone 8B

Comment

• greenfig
                greenfig commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Rob! It is not too early for my climate though, +27C for 2 months at least.

• Rob Ster 010
                Rob Ster 010 commented
                Editing a comment
                I envy you lol. We just has our first day of 20+ C yesterday.

Originally posted by Harborseal View Post
              Last year I had 3 ripen in cool weather and 2 ripen in the 80s. The 2 ripening in the 80s were much better than the others.
              I had a couple ripen in 80° and a couple ripen in the garage at 65°. Surprisingly, they were just as tasty. It was their first year fruiting too. Hoping to have the same results this year!
              Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Mmmm preto...

Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
                Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

So mine is going to be the same or better?? Promise?

Comment

• PA Figs
                    PA Figs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mine was ripened in the greenhouse, your should be better!
                Working...
                X