X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok here it is.. Papa Tree story,history and roots. Please enjoy.

A story of My Papa Tree..
    Papa ( Beniamino Infelise) was born in 1939 in a small town of Sorbo San Basile CZ Italia nestled in the side of a mountain sits tis small town directly across the valley from Taverna CZ where he then was raised until age 16...before 16 He farmed of course fig but also grape,pomegranate,hazelnut,chestnut,prune plum,olives,prickly pear cactus as well as all the normal vegetable....
    The amazing part is between the two towns is valley. he'd walk down threw Forrest one side of the valley to the river then up the other side where the plantation is ( man made garden in side of mountain because the mountain is very steep and without plantation could not be farmed. Imagine a staircase built into the side of mountain) he would then harvest his ripens and mostly was chestnut into a burlap sack and carry it Back to the valley river where there is and still stands a flower making press made all of stone and wood. (You will see in pictures) he would then take 3/4 of chestnut and process it into flower for Noni to make from bread to pasta to pizza and pie crust. (Btw chestnut is gluten free ahaha)
    So they live dolce vita up at dawn to the farm home by noon for dinner then nap until 4 then back to work till 9pm. He did tis every day of his teen years but was not happy... He known there is more for him besides walking 30 mile per day for gardening and to eat and trade his crop. At 16 my papa decide to come live with a family friend in Chicago leaving is 13 siblings and parents.
    When he come to USA he worked in aunts accordion shop until age 18 when he got job in peace work making and tailoring dress suits for private company where he meet Madre.. Phillis. Needless to say pops blue eyes sealed the deal and fast forward time now they married with 4 children's of their own..
    Living in suburb of Chicago in their new home he started again planting as he did as a boy... of course fig but also grape,pomegranate,hazelnut,chestnut,prune plum,olives,prickly pear cactus as well as all the normal vegetable... Then over time realized prick pear is too much work to keep alive in Chicago climate so caput on pear.
    Over time he age and was harder and harder to keep up his garden but struggled to keep the fig alive.
    Back track. Their honeymoon he bring mom to Italia and is when he bring "Papa Tree" with roots and is what I will name (Bi39) " Beniamino Infelise 1939" home in mama's suitcase incase they check hahaha! And started tis tree as sapling.... From tis sapling he make 100's of baby tree as gift and for him self. His back yard was full of fruitful strong trees and vines that every harvest he have neighborhood come to pick any and everything he grew for them to take and eat. He loved to see Children pick and eat off his plants and loved to answer questions from adults on how to make certain thins grow here..
    Fast forward to 90's when my Madre pass away... She was his joy... But I can not talk much about her because is hard and tis post is about papa tree
    He was sad for many years but still loved his fig getting older he had to sell his home and into smaller apartment fit for him but had to leave his trees (they stood about 25feet tall and intertwined with the next tree so I can't say how wide they were but looked like a small city of wooden buildings in winter when he cover them with wood sheds. The last ting he moved from his home was 4 baby tree coming from the ground with the mother tree root and potted them with the promise from new home owner they would care for his trees and he left.
    That next spring he drove past the old house and the trees were gone.... They cut down and put in pool without him known. Devastation.
    That sadness and furry sparked him to stride to rebuild his farm, his yard, his Tree....at his older age my brother and I have helped him succeed in his goal and continue to do so as we speak. Which is why I make big deal about rabbit eating Papa tree.
    he come to farm yesterday after I cut to ground level with bottle of vino to say good by to tree (his passion) and as he assume they was done and as I open bottle he says "hey Pasquale" fica is still Alive! He had his hand into soil feel roots and say is ok (I knew tis because I have you all tell me correct instructions) but I wanted him to do as he did for many years to correct me..... So we drink vino and have fire from dead branches and we are here now at my home where he is amazed by how I learned how to take a simple cutting... Root it,pot it and presto a tree. He's never seen tis. Just make saplings and harvest sapling with roots. He put his hand on my shoulder and says "I am very proud of you for all you've done for me and my tree and for what you have learned along the way"
    So for tis feeling I get from Papa is because of all you member help and I say SALUTร‰ to you and GRAZIE GRAZIE GRAZIE
    I known I leave a lot of things out but there are something's I can not speak of legally but trust when I say you all are wonderful and from papa we both are very grateful of you...tis fruiting tree.... And life as we know it......
    I have 15 Saran wrapped packs of Papas tree cuttings cut tis past Tuesday I would like to give out. You No pay for anything! Capise?
    I will pack and ship to you as our gift to you. But I want to get out to you asap as they may not be healthy too much longer. Tis is just a gift so my apologies if not takes but have faith. My apologies for not having enough for all that has asked but I WILL have more tis fall... I will attach photos of Italia farm and mother tree where papa take from and is still alive and growing as we speak. If you would like to see the street view of our town go on "google earth " enter in tis address and drag the little yellow figure into the streets for street view

Via Marconi 8 88055 taverna cz Italia
    Italy

I will add description to photos as well.

I would also like to separately GRAZIE WillsC. He has been my mentor and my friend to help me personally with all and everything and has helped me keep this heirloom going and strong...
    Thank you Will.

GRAZIE again my friends.
    Michael (aka Taverna78 or Fabio (thanks WillsC) AHAHAH)
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy ๐Ÿ‘ผ๐Ÿผ.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Comment

• Taverna78
            Taverna78 commented
            Editing a comment
            Tis is where papa as child cook outside is wood oven. And right photo is where vino ferment.

Comment

• Taverna78
            Taverna78 commented
            Editing a comment
            Papa shown my son where his plantation is and gate he build when was young boy. Photo on right he shown my wife where he was born. We are in Taverna looking at Sorbo San Basile.

Comment

• Taverna78
            Taverna78 commented
            Editing a comment
            Tis my Zio Ciccio sanctuary. Walk under grape with fig and catcus all over. He is priest

Comment

• Taverna78
            Taverna78 commented
            Editing a comment
            Tis just wild fico grown on street side. If you look closely bottom photo is roof of mini van to show size of tree

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              Tis original Bi39 tree. Taverna/Sorbo San Basile. CZ Calabria Italia

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              Tis original Bi39 on mountain side he bring in madres suitcase very long ago. We see tis tree last year and is still going strong. It amaze me the ground is in is almost 100% stone , rock, sand ,dust and small clay. I no see any "dirt" amywhere.

GRAZIE for reading and viewing his legacy.
            Ciao

Comment

• Evdurtschi
              Evdurtschi commented
              Editing a comment
              @Taverna78
              Hello!! I was just told that BI-39 is one of the best figs here in CA. I had not heard of it since I am so new to growing figs and I searched and found your original post. What a beautiful and amazing story.ย 
              I would absolutely love to purchase cuttings or air layers of this amazing variety and I will take excellent care of it and pass along the story to my children as well.
              If you do not have cuttings, please let me know where I may find some. For me, trees with a beautiful history behind them are the ones I want to grow as this is what gardening is all about. Sharing memories with our families. I have 6 children and they all love gardening with me and trying the new fruits and vegetables that I grow. I have so many memories of this and would love to add your fantastic tree to my garden.

Great story! I would certainly like to grow your papa's tree if you have enough but I would like to send you some trees in exchange.
            Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              Please PM Me your home address and I send you tis week thank you for read my story. I also thanks you for your generosity

Mike,

That is a wonderful story, you told it very well. We all shall see that your papa's tree gets spread far and wide.
            Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie my mentor. You are great man!

I was really looking forward to reading this thread! Man, those are some breathtaking pictures to go with your amazing story. It makes me pretty angry reading how those new homeowners ripped everything down after saying they wouldn't. Honestly, many people nowadays don't appreciate the simple things in life and it sucks. I have to go through the rest of your pictures but I wanted to post right away how appreciative I am to read this. Thanks so much! And, I'd also love to try growing "Papa fig" too. Unfortunately, I've just started growing figs and have nothing to trade. I'm just glad to know that your figs are doing well and I knew your father would be proud of you
            Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie my friend. Please PM me your home address and I will ship to you tis week rights away.

Great story grazie thank you for sharing. Is it a dark fig? Is there a picture of the fruit?
            Rafael
            Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              Si.. Is a purple fig. Rich in flavor and sometime long sometime round. But can pull off the tree and eat is belle

Great story, this tree (Bi 39) is as much a part of you as the blood in your veins. I hope it comes back for you and your Papa. Mike thanks for sharing.
            Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks you for reading and will be in my vein for eternity. Grazie

Thanks so much for this story of you're Family tree. Great pictures

Vincent from now sunny Canada zone 5
            Vincent Canada Quรฉbec zone5

Comment

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie my frie d for reading. It touch my heart how wonderful you all are ! Perfection

Wow! Great one, loved it. He was furious at them tearing out the trees, no joke, and was motivated to kick start another ag venture. Hat tip to him and you. Funny, with you spreading it, Papa's tree will never be treated so irreverently again - nor easily lost to the sands of time for posterity's sake. I would love a shot at Bi39 - sounds like folks in Chicago have been enjoying it for decades, I'd like to too! Thanks for the post!
            RI Zone 6a
            Container Herder

Comment

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              I will send to you please PM Me your home address and I will ship at once.

Great story! Those pictures look like a little piece of Paradise.
            Brian
            Carolina Zone 7b/8a Wanted: Col De Dame

Comment

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              I live and love USA. Chicago is very beautiful with people, architect buildings, scenery as wel as the coasts with belle beaches. But there is something's I see in photo or re visit Italia that out do here for me. I am blessed to have experienced both life styles and here in USA is more "rat race" who can out do who... But is good job,money and happier life as we are tought in U.S.A.
              In Italia is different. No work.. If you have job it pays very little... And life is more simple. "Rooted" if you will but to family. Here McDonald's on every corner. There closet big mac to my town is 44 miles. And 35 of tis miles is just to bottom of mountain. So is much different "a piece of paradise" yes... To live there... Depends on what you want in life for your living. I am still confused what is more important. Job and money or my family and simplicity.

Thank you for sharing such a touching story.

Comment

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              Prego my friend

Thanks for telling a great story! It will be part of the tree forever! And I am sure if your roots will not regrow , you will have the backups ready all over the U.S.
            I wish you a great luck and tasty Papa figs in the future!
            USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              Prego my friend and papa say because he put his hand in soil to feel roots that are alive and shall regrow. so we wait๐Ÿ˜‰

Great story and nice job with the pictorial history! Your father did a great job raising fig trees and you
            And I really felt felt for his loss when the idiots who bought his home trashed his tree.
            Looking forward to seeing pics in the late summer of how well this tree comes back.
            Ed
            SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              Grazie my friend. Yes I will post photo when she come back. You all so wonderful !

Very touching family history,may your family trees regrow and prosper.
            New Bern NC Zone 8a ,Wish list : Col de Dame Rimada ,Galica Negra

Comment

Comment

Wow, what a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing.
                Phil
                Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Working...
                X