X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As above, so below - An observation.

Have a MBvs cutting growing in a coir, peat, perlite mix and its roots keep shooting out the side of the cup. Knowing eventually damage may come to these runners when transplanted, I had a thought to nip the tender white tips as they broke out. I know that exercise may seem haughty, wasteful, or arrogant when we all usually cherish roots when present - and are disappointed by their absence - but I had a hunch. I figured a small amount of stress would induce faster growth of the root mass. The desire being to fill the cup more rapidly by forcing the feeler (radical?) roots to sprout out new growth laterally after their terminal ends were frustrated, prevented from leaving the space and having to instead make use of the confines. Almost like how we pinch and prune to induce branching with fruiting limbs.

Right?

Well it worked, and here's the proof!

I'm imagining this is not something to be too excited about - just routine root pruning for some I'm sure. But a cool science project. Didn't consult the oracle, Google, neither. Just rolled the dice knowing Figs are spiteful @@@@@@@s.

Results may vary and in no way is this an endorsement nor patent of this method for root development. Don't try this at home, etc.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    RI Zone 6a
    Container Herder

Branches will form further back on the root when the tip is removed/dies. This is the principal behind root pruning containers.
    Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
    N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
      N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

there are a number of different types of these pots available...some are easier the repot than others

here's another video which follows the prior video nicely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=388&v=LdGzn8kbULc
        Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

I've used burlap containers from Geopots that root prune and provide excellent aeration. I repotted a half-high blueberry last week after a year in its Geopot, and was amazed at the root development since last year. The only downside for me was the bottom rotting out by the end of the season - not a problem if you plant the entire thing in the ground.
          Nate
          Ithaca, NY. Zone 6a.

Comment

Working...
          X