X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked my first ripe fig this morning..

Picked my first ripe fig this morning, and I was reminded why I have been going to so much trouble to acquire and grow these things. Man, was it good! Fully ripe, dark and soft. Jammy and sweet - but not too sweet. I had only noticed it the other day. It was an 'unknown Negretta' from Marius. Breba. And there is another a day or two away. It's in a particularly warm spot in the garden, and we've had another unusually warm, dry winter. No wonder that fig is on my personal list of favorites.
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Rub it in Gina! Just rub it in! Glad someone is eating figs this time of year!
    Dennis
    Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

• Gina
      Gina commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep... and I just had a second one this afternoon. Every bit as good as the first one, and best of all, the birds haven't found them yet. (They are busy scarfing up all my blueberries.)

But, that's all for that tree. And only a few more on the horizon on other trees.

I am just getting them out of storage and here you are eating, something I hope to do later
    Art
    St Louis County, MO Z6B

Comment

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes ahaha my trees are still rubbing their eyes waking up! Congratulation to you Gina!

(I gotta move)

• drphil69
      drphil69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here! I don't even have a leaf yet and you are eating figs! Ug, I need to move south.

• Gina
      Gina commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not only south, but West too. SoCal in a Mediterranean climate where figs originated.

Nice to hear! No photo of the U. Negretta - tree or fruit?
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• Gina
      Gina commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, no.

I envy you, mine have just leaved out 2 weeks ago.
    Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
    Zone 8B

Comment

Most of my figs have started swelling buds, A few have baby figlets. And I'm a month ahead this year
      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

That is phenominal and a little scary that you are eating ripe figs in mid-April, Gina. I believe that it was your praise of this fig that led me to aquire it. No figs yet though, on my young plant.
        Gary USDA 9A
        Sebastopol, CA

Comment

It is a good one - hope it tastes as good for you as it does here. As for ripe figs mid April, that's early here too. But we had an extremely warm winter and everything is early. I even have had a couple ripe raspberries! Bizzaro weather.
          SoCal, zone 10.
          www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• rusty hooks
            rusty hooks commented
            Editing a comment
            Bizzaro indeed...it's supposed to frost here tonight...
        Working...
        X