X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champagne from Petals from the Past ?

Does anyone know if Petals from the Past’s Champagne is really Champagne? To their credit, they post the pictures of the trees so we can see the dominant leaf structure and decide for ourselves. The leaves on their website picture look different from the picture of one Champagne leaf posted on F4F Varieties DB.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n15098[/ATTACH] Petals from the Past’s Champagne: http://petalsfromthepast.com/catalog/fig-champagne.html

Champagne On F4F Varieties DB: http://figs4fun.com/Thumbnail_Champagne.html

My O’Rourke (below right) from PftP just arrived in a one gallon pot and it looks just like the pictures of Improved Celeste with the mostly one lobe leaf and rare three lobe leaves. The Improved Celeste on the left (probably Celeste?) from Almost Eden is the same as it was when it arrived three weeks ago.

Attached Files
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Mara, Southern California,
    Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Mara,
    Many of the fig pictures at the Petal's website are not of their actual plants, there are some tree picture that are duplicated for several varieties... I've grown all the cultivars that are available from their website. Their Champagne matches the Documented LSU Champagne Release documents. http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/...1-a852c181b74b

Here's info from OurFigs Varieties List, for the Champagne PP, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/variety...=5717#post5717
    Good Luck.

BTW their O'Rourke PP is the LSU Improved Celeste and the Improved Celeste AE is just a Celeste... http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...3200#post13200 and their LSU Black PP is the LSU Scotts Black
    Last edited by AscPete; 04-14-2015, 09:55 AM.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• paully22
      paully22 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow. That's a mess.

I bought four fig trees from them last year and they were all labeled appropriately. I think that they were packaged well and priced very reasonably. I would definitely order from them again.
    Brian
    Carolina Zone 7b/8a Wanted: Col De Dame

Comment

They are the real deal.
      Dennis
      Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

Thanks for your responses. Brian and Snaglpus say PftP's trees are labeled correctly. Pete says "their O'Rourke PP is the LSU Improved Celeste" which is why I ordered the O'Rourke. I wanted an Improved Celeste and seem to have that with the new tree labeled as O'Rourke. There were more pictures of LSU Improved Celeste here which has leaves that look like my new little tree. http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....5440940?trail=

I guess I won't know until I have figs which probably won't be this year. Maybe not even then.....

Comment

• mountainfigs
          mountainfigs commented
          Editing a comment
          Most of PftP's cultivars are labeled correctly. Not all, as documented. Regardless, PftP is a great source for fig trees despite being confused about certain cultivars.

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Champagne is the correct cultivar.
          Petals from the Past's fig trees are labeled properly except for O'Rourke and Tiger. I've purchased all the cultivars that are available on the internet and have documented their leaves and figs. Their internet pictures are not always correct for their available cultivars.
          BTW, I've been able to harvest figs the same year, from most every 1 gallon tree that I've received from them.

In our climate you can have the figs next month!
        I have an O'Rourke , we can compare the figs. My Improved Celeste from Herman2 is little but has a few figlets already. Will see how they all line up!

I also have a 3 yo Golden Celeste that produces very good figs . Last year the GC and O'Rourke were very different .
        USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

While I enjoy buying trees from PFTP, I have to agree with Pete that the O'Rourke they sell is not truly O'Rourke. It is an excellent Improved Celeste that produces very tasty figs. Also Edible Landscaping sells a fig tree labelled O'Rourke which is actually another strain of Improved Celeste. I have all three and O'Rourke is considerably different from either of these trees.

Comment

Pete is correct. Their Champagne is legit but their O'Rourke and Improved Celeste is the same. They will also tell you they are the same. But they are not.
            Dennis
            Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

Thanks for all your input. I ordered a Champagne from PftP and feel confident it's really Champagne.

Comment

Champagne PP breba harvested today...
                It was moderately sweet with mild seed crunch and a moderate creamy flavor, it was not as good as main crop, but still had good flavor. It could have stayed a day or two more, but the eye was swollen although still closed off to the outside.
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• Chrisk
                  Chrisk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks great Pete. One of our new favorite figs after the LSU Field day

I got my true O'Rourke from Trees of Joy, Bass. It has the five and seven lobe leaves.
                Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Champagne PP main crop figs have been ripening for the past several days. They usually ripen in batches within a 2 - 3 week span, which could be one reason why they were chosen as a "commercial fig cultivar" by the LSU researchers. The figs have a creamy honey sweet flavor with mild seed crunch and slightly chewy but tender skin. The figs are sweet but not as sweet as Celeste. The figs are slightly smaller than last season due to the tree being root bound as part of a test.
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Awesome Pete! Thanks for sharing. The look very very nice and just as I remember them from the LSU field day trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Altadena Mara View Post
                      Thanks for all your input. I ordered a Champagne from PftP and feel confident it's really Champagne.
                      I received an email from PftP canceling my order since I lived in California. They said sending me the Celeste Improved under the name of O'Rourke was a mistake.
                      However, I enjoyed the first fig from my PftP Celeste Improved /not O'Rourke today and it was good -a simple, mild, sugar sweet taste.

Comment

I don't see the Champagne on their fig list.
                        Andre
                        Western Orange County, FL

Comment

• eboone
                          eboone commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I am assuming that means they are out for the season; perhaps back in stock in late winter/spring season

I'm currently harvesting a 2nd wave of Champagne, O'Rourke and Celeste main crop figs along with the 1st wave of other cultivars, I'm a bit surprised because it (2nd wave) was unexpected. LSU Improved Celeste continues to be "everbearing", but given a longer growing season and good cultural care Champagne could possibly also be an "everbearing".
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6708.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	41817

Comment

Working...
                        X