X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many VARIETIES do you have?

Yep...another poll. I have about 22 varieties. If I find a redundancy in flavors, or if they just don't perform as well as the others, I get rid of it or replace it.
    1-5
    3.45%
    5-10
    6.90%
    10-25
    22.41%
    25-50
    24.14%
    Over 50 varieties!
    43.10%
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

You want me to include those new varieties currently 'rooting' that are already with roots and leaves, or just those that had made it by the end of last growing season?
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Oh no Frank. I ll take the ones you don't like! Lol I cannot find I fig I do not like! Maybe because I have not tried the really good ones! I have 8 fruiting varieties, and in order of taste as of last season are: celeste, brunswick, P Honey,negronne, B turkey,Black mission, C Hardy , LSU purple,but not a fair comparison because some are in ground some potted and some fruited for the first year! Let's see which one will strive to please this season!

Comment

I have 9 trees right now, yet only 5 of them are of fruiting age. As most people are, I'm rooting several more cultivars, but I won't count then until they are hardened off and living in full sun outside in late spring early summer.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Originally posted by eboone View Post
          You want me to include those new varieties currently 'rooting' that are already with roots and leaves, or just those that had made it by the end of last growing season?
          I would say at least one year old plants that have been through a dormancy period.
          Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisk View Post
            Oh no Frank. I ll take the ones you don't like! Lol I cannot find I fig I do not like! Maybe because I have not tried the really good ones! I have 8 fruiting varieties, and in order of taste as of last season are: celeste, brunswick, P Honey,negronne, B turkey,Black mission, C Hardy , LSU purple,but not a fair comparison because some are in ground some potted and some fruited for the first year! Let's see which one will strive to please this season!
            My lack of space keeps me from collecting a lot more. I have to be picky with what I have.
            There are so many delicious ones that it's going to be harder each year to make any eliminations. I'd kick the wife's car out of the garage, but she didn't like that idea for some reason. haha!
            Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• cis4elk
              cis4elk commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you already have your space in the garage filled with trees? I do.

I just counted most of them today and have over 40 varieties that are past the 1 year mark. By next year it will be close to 100. How could this happen?
            NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

When I started, I only wanted 1 mission fig tree....

And now a few years later, the number is about 50 or so varieties, with back-ups of most of them. That does not include some that I have gotten rid of that were not pleasing. In a drought you can't keep them all.
              SoCal, zone 10.
              www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

The name of this forum was almost hoardingfigs.com perhaps that would have been more accurate?
                Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

• twovkay
                  twovkay commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes!

LOL. Let's pitch our very own television reality series?
                Frank Tallahasee 8B
                North Florida Figs

Comment

That's why I hang around you guys.... so my wife can see I'm not as bad as the 'other' guys.
                  Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

I think it's a good sign when no one in the forum has yet indicated less than 5 trees!
                    RI Zone 6a
                    Container Herder

Comment

Originally posted by PasturedFigs View Post
                      I think it's a good sign when no one in the forum has yet indicated less than 5 trees!
                      And so far, I'm the only one with 10 or less untill the cuttings are done simmering.
                      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I have about 30 not counting this winter's adventures, but am looking to max out around 40. There will no doubt be some that will get dumped over time. I give away figs to worthy candidates!
                        Rafael
                        Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

Looks like I've got about 20 right now and I'm rooting another 15 or 20 varieties. Considering last winter I had 1, quite a change!

I'll be culling a bunch this summer if they don't produce, I only have room and time for so many.
                          https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                          SE PA
                          Zone 6

Comment

• F. Bennett
                            F. Bennett commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That is my thinking. I had several varieties produce amazing fruit their 2nd year. Some did not produce anything, or the fruit was not as tasty. With my limitations, only the strongest survive.

• Kelby
                            Kelby commented
                            Editing a comment
                            At the end of the day I like eating figs more than collecting them. Yum yum!

• Chrisk
                            Chrisk commented
                            Editing a comment
                            True that Kelby and that's why I adore my numerous Celeste. Yum yum is absolutely right!

somewhere between 200 varieties and insanity.......
                          Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

Nice, guys! Now I do not feel all bad about my space limitation of a city lot. I can comfortably keep about 10-12 larger containers, but before I figure out what varieties to keep, more than 100 hang around. I have very few duplicates.
                            As far as the varieties, I am gradually shifting towards the ones requiring pollination. I think I have about 5 now
                            Last edited by greenfig; 02-20-2015, 11:39 AM.
                            USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

I sometimes get philosophical about this, wonder why I still keep seeking more varieties when I already have so many more than I actually want. In 2008 I wrote that I seriously doubted I would ever get over two dozen. What a joke!
                              My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

I'm stuck on a 1/4 acre suburban lot as well, it is getting.... well we will say a little crowded. Storing my two large pots and two small TC plants was not an issue, now I have and addition 5 potted plants plus I'm rooting a little over 20 new varieties. I have plans to keep more then one example of some of those cultivars, so doing the pot shuffle next fall is going to be quite the undertaking compared to what I'm used to, not to mention the additional space that 30"ish pots will take compared to my previous 4 pots. All of this is why I am going to move, it is still around three years out, but we are going to sell this house (to some lucky dog that likes fruit and gardening), then move to something around 5 acres and start over.

Comment

• COGardener
                                  COGardener commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Extra time is a definite! Calvin, are any of your figs breaking dormancy? All of my large potted trees including the new ones from JF&E are either leafed out or starting to. My Hardy Chicago did not leaf out till April last year in it is sitting in the same spot, perhaps it has to do with it being unseasonably warm before the last storm, it has already broken 70 at my house. Hard to believe we could now be getting more then a foot of snow.

• cis4elk
                                  cis4elk commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  One is slightly breaking bud. I have a north facing garage/driveway, which I hate when it snows, but I have finally found the upside to it with having dormant trees in the garage. I do put snow or ice cubes on the pots to both water them and to keep the root balls cooler during warm spells. The other things I do during warm spells is..1) Open the garage door at night for an hour or so to lower the temp in the garage. 2) On the days I am working and my wife brings our daughter to school, I call her and make sure she leaves the garage door open for about 30 minutes after she gets back to let the heat from the car motor disperse outside(every little bit helps) and then close the door to keep it cool. I don't want to have to shuffle until I want to..if that makes sense.

• Bijan
                                  Bijan commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I have a few that are greening up in the garage (mine also faces north), and there is a small Breba on Nazarti. I had several trees that went dormant in the garage. It looks like they suffered the most damage. I also have two small trees in the kitchen window. They were too small to put in the garage green, so they've not gone dormant.

About 30 but will eventually thin down to no more than 10. They'll have to be good and different to remain. If I can't identify and differentiate with my eyes closed, one or another will get tossed.
                                Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
                                http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

The problem I have with seemingly like varieties is..even though they may taste similar now, is this going to stay that way or will they develope into something noticeably better and/or different? And will some of these varieties become extremely productive(over their similar variety) in a year or two more? So could I be giving something away that I am going to regret in the future? Obviously this is why it's good to read about everybody else's experiences with varieties, but there is always that different response to locallity thing.
                                  Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                                  Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Originally posted by F. Bennett View Post

My lack of space keeps me from collecting a lot more. I have to be picky with what I have.
                                    There are so many delicious ones that it's going to be harder each year to make any eliminations. I'd kick the wife's car out of the garage, but she didn't like that idea for some reason. haha!
                                    That is so true! I'm running out of space too! I mention just the fruiting ones as of last season! Between all the ukns and the yearlings that did not fruit last year maybe 18 -20 ! My wife keeps asking. What are we doing with all those again? And she can get scary😳! Then I show her some pics of the ripe figs from the forum and she falls for it! Every time! Deep down inside , I know she is also a fig nut but one of us have to be the voice of reason. Not me😎! As for kicking your wife's car out! Abort, abort ! Wise choice not to Frank! Lol ! It can get very painful .

Comment

You guys do know that garages are not for cars right?!!!???!!? I took over the garage years ago, I guess that is one of the reasons that my wife is letting me move to "the sticks" so I can put my stuff in the outbuilding and she can have the garage again.

LOL

Comment

I lost count when I went over 125,winter of 2013-14 did get rid of some,but like ever other fig addict I am right back up there over 125+ and the funny thing is I rooted 28 new varieties this winter!!!!

Comment

I have literally lost count. It's a full time job keeping an accurate inventory these days, with winter kills and newly rooted cuttings. How do the professional hoarders do it?
                                          Frank Tallahasee 8B
                                          North Florida Figs

Comment

Working...
                                          X