X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSU Scott's Black

Picked my first Scott's Black fig, picked it 85% (estimated) ripe, picked it to save it from birds, had a peck hole in it, ate it anyway. I was glad to see the Red center, the mark of the "Real" Scott's Black. 2 yrs old in 1gal pot, wintered in unheated greenhouse.
    Wish List - Any LSU fig

Congrats! Mine has little figlets , I hope to taste it too.
    How do you describe the taste? Any similar to a VdB?
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Its a good flavored fig, sweet but without complex flavors...
      It has not developed the sweetness, berry or complex flavors of a VDB in my location.

Actually, it tasted like any unripe, dark fig. My mind says it is wonderful, my wife says not ripe, my dose of reality.
    Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

My trees haven't even broken buds yet, and you are already eating figs?!?

I need to move south!
      Phil
      Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

• ofon
        ofon commented
        Editing a comment
        looks like you did lol

greenfig - I have never tasted a VDB, hope to have a small crop this year

@drphill - C'mon down, great place to live, figs do very well here, NO STATE INCOME TAX, I filled up yesterday, $1.92 pr gallon.
      Children wants to build us a home in the Raleigh/Durham area, no thanks, nothing against NC, Love it, don't want to leave TX.
      Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

Where would this fall on AscPete's flavor categories?
        Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Its not my flavor groups, they've been posted on the fig forums for almost a decade and Scotts Black is in the Dark Berry group.

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...-flavor-groups

• DBJohnson
          DBJohnson commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Pete...wasn't sure exactly how else to refer o those five/six groups from your post since some have occasionally referenced other groups that are expanded from that list.

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          You're welcome.
          Its always been called and discussed as the 'Fig Flavor Groups' and there are really only 5 groups since the 'Exotic group?' was only a suggestion. The Exotics still have the same flavor profiles as the Dark Berry, they just have additional complex flavors.

LSU Black PP (Petals from the Past) and Scotts Black appear to be the same fig cultivar from LSU... attached are my photos of LSU Black PP. the figs have never developed the complex flavors of a Bordeaux cultivar (VdB, Beers Black, etc.)
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• ofon
          ofon commented
          Editing a comment
          I really hope I get some figs this year....grew some LSU SB over the winter as cuttings indoors and I've got 3 plants growing well atm in pots

I've found that both LSU Black and LSU Purple are uniquely super awful unless picked at their ripened perfection..at which point they are really very good. They can go from a 2 to an 8 within 24 hours!
        Frank Tallahasee 8B
        North Florida Figs

Comment

• Bluewaterdiver
          Bluewaterdiver commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Doc. I am a Queen Bee Breeder. I used to live in Tallahassee up in Killearn Lakes. I am currently living over in Panama City still working from hurricane Micheal. I came across your blog. I enjoy conversing with other Fig Minded People. This may seem forward but I would like to visit your place and see your creation I am looking for insight on varieties to plant in the area. Not really sure how to make the connection through this sight and keep your privacy. You can reach me at [email protected]. I Look forward to hearing from you.

Later production is great, still picking figs.
        Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

Thank you! I'm adding flavor group and expected ripening time to my fig notes and having never tasted this fig I had to ask. Thanks again.
          Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

LSU scotts black is really an excellent fig. Especially that berry flavor.

Comment

I purchased a PFTP LSU Black this year and was gifted a Scott's Black cutting that I wad able to root.

I'm now going to place then side by side to compare the growth, leaves and hopefully fruit next year. There is always a chance for misslableing but it will be fun to grow and compare them.

Next year I expect to be a great fig year, thank you all for posting pics and making OurFigs the place to be.
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• AscPete
                AscPete commented
                Editing a comment
                Here's my post in a discussion @ F4F Where Dan A. (aka King Fig, Aka Dan_LA) and Vasili S. (Herman2) comment on this cultivar. In other discussions they compare the taste to VdB (Rich and Complex), http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....0&postcount=60

• COGardener
                COGardener commented
                Editing a comment
                I compared the leaves on my two, and though there are some differences do to growth rate, they are strikingly similar. I feel their second leaf will be more reveling.

My Scott's Black continues to ripen figs, probably 6-8 left. I am not much on trying to describe taste as I believe that it is totally subjective and therefore I only say that they are figgy(intense) and sweet(not syrupy). I don't know which berry a "berry" tasting fig would taste like, blueberry, blackberry, gooseberry, etc. I want my figs to taste like figs, or at least what my taste buds identify as being figgy. if I want berry taste, I eat berries.
              Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

Scott's black is a really good fig. One of the better dark figs in my yard.
                Art
                Western Pa -6a

Comment

The feast continues, not so much in quantity but certainly in quality of taste. Just picked and consumed 4 more. There are several more smaller ones, hope they have time to ripen. I am shamelessly fickle when it comes to my "favorite" fig, most generally the best was the last one.
                  Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

I've only picked a few of Scott's Black this year, due to being a later ripening fig. I don't think that I've ever tasted one that wasn't really good.
                    Attached Files
                    Art
                    Western Pa -6a

Comment

You all are making it real.... real hard to wait for next year! !!!!
                      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Just purchased some LSU "black" Scott's black cuttings and looking forward to seeing them grow this year.

Comment

Would someone please post some Scott's Black leaf photos? I am trying to match up a plant that I think looks like it
                          Ed
                          SW PA zone 6a

Comment

I just picked the last of the crop for this year, had 8 or so great figs, didn't really count as I ate them as I picked them.

Ed - I will try to get picts today.
                            Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

Here is a leaf picture off my first year tree. This is the most common leaf shape on the tree.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotts Black - Leaf 1.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	195142
                              Texas (N. Houston area) - zone 8b
                              Wish List: Rubado, Thermolito, Calderona, Cavaliere, GM-172, and GM-25

Comment

Typical leaves of LSU Black PP which IMO is the same as Scotts Black...
                                Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

The true Scott's Black will have a deep red interior, if it doesn't it is not true to type.
                                  Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

Thanks all for the pics.
                                    I am posting below some photos of fruit and leaves of an unknown that I received as an Improved Celeste but it clearly is not. I think it could be a Scott's Black, and am asking of some of you with experience think this looks like it. Understand this is just for my own information and I will never put a label on it as such or distribute it as such. Man, this one is a good fig, whatever it is. It started ripening 22 days after my RdB.
                                    More of the leaves look like the first photo now, last year more were three lobed or like the final 4 photos

Thanks for looking!

Click image for larger version  Name:	ICN 5.JPG Views:	1 Size:	101.2 KB ID:	195845

Last edited by eboone; 09-19-2017, 12:34 PM.
                                    Ed
                                    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• crademan
                                      crademan commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      For some reason only one of your images will open, Ed.

• eboone
                                      eboone commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      All of the images look good to me? Maybe a mod can suggest a fix?

EDIT - I removed one leaf photo and removed something that had not posted right - do 2 fruit photos and 4 leaf photos show now?
                                      Last edited by eboone; 09-19-2017, 12:35 PM.

• Rewton
                                      Rewton commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Ed, was I the one who sent you this one? It's a long story but I also had a mix-up in which I thought a fig was Improved Celeste and it turned out to be Scott's Black. If so, sorry I didn't notify you.

Can't open the 4
                                    Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

Working...
                                    X