X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Healthy Desert King trees

Been outside all day since 7:30Am......been trying to pull trees out of the garage and upsize them to self watering pots at the same time. I placed 3 of my largest DK figs way back in the back of my garage. I bought 6, two years ago from Rolling River. I kiilled 2 of them experimenting. Somehow their drain hole got blocked and the trees rotted. But these 4 are huge 7 footers are healthy and doing fine. Yeah yeah....I'm still pulling figs out of the garage! Well, I got behind due to back to back cold then the flu now just getting out of bed and back to work and tending to my figs.

Over the years, I've never winterized my DK figs until this past winter. And boy the brebas are popping!!! Here are 3 of my largest DK figs just pulled from my garage. Going forward, I will be winterizing them indoors. I will grow these side by side to Grasa's and those Shirley's Magic fig. Desert King does very well in my climate, you just have to keep the tree from freezing.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Dennis
    Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Those trees look great!

How about adding a signature so we know your zone and general location?
    Phil
    Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Sorry Phil....I need to fix that. I'm still new to this forum toolbar.

I am in Charlotte, NC....zone 8a
      Dennis
      Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

They look great Dennis. How are you planning to prune them to keep the size under control and still get yearly brebas?
        Ed
        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Hi Ed, I will prune them as right after picking my harvest. Which is what I haven't been doing.
          Dennis
          Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

Dennis, do you also grow Grantham's Royal and Filacciano Bianco (or any other San Pedro)? How would you compare Desert King to those assuming they are overwintered in the garage and cold hardiness is not much of an issue?
            Steve
            D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
            WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Very nice, hope they produces oodles of fruit!
              https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
              SE PA
              Zone 6

Comment

Yes Steve....I do have those 2 also and Norman's Yellow. However, I have not compared them. I will this summer.

There are a lot of forum members in this forum and JV's who have posted pictures of a yellow pulp fig calling it DK, but it's not. It's Norman's Yellow, which is exactly the same as DK but produces yellow fruit.
                Dennis
                Charlotte, NC /Zone 8a

Comment

Do you have any in ground? I am interested to know if they will produce brebas if the temps go below 20° for short spells.
                  Brian
                  Carolina Zone 7b/8a Wanted: Col De Dame

Comment

Working...
                  X