X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone growing Makedonia Dark?

I was poking around on Bass' site and saw the Makedonia Dark and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it?

This is the only post that I was able to find on it.

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....n-figs-6045841

If you have it, what zone are you in, when does it ripen and how's the taste?

Please share pictures if you have them.

Thanks in advance.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

I purchased one from Bass recently. It is a small tree, but will let everyone know how it goes.

Comment

I purchased one from Bass towards the end of last summer. It is young still but I transferred it from a one gallon to a three gallon and it seems to be taking off nicely this spring. If I am lucky it may even produce a fig or two this season.

Comment

I started mine in 2013 and sold some extras. As I recall, it started pretty quickly and was vigorous. I have it planted in the ground now and will try to get out there and check on it, though my zone 9b location probably won't give much valuable information for you.
        My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

I purchased 3 cuttings from Bass last year and all three are doing fine with lots of figs. A picture is posted on the figs4fun site. I will post pictures when the figs mature. I am in Zone 7a. I am GolfMomTN on that site. (What can I say? My son has two main hobbies in life).
          Last edited by FigMomFL; 06-29-2015, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• fitzski
            fitzski commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for your comments. Did you buy the cuttings direct from Bass or via his eBay auctions?

I bought cuttings from Bass directly (no ebay) on 4/7/14. I purchased 2 and Bass gave me an extra one. I was able to root all three of them (yeah) last year. He might remember me since his sister married into a family with my maiden name! I had to ask him this year to make sure I had the Makedonia Dark marked correctly from the Malta Blacks since I was able to root three of each and got scared that I had mislabeled them! What a novice!

But all three trees are very happy, full of figs, a little shorter than the Malta Blacks and about the same size as the Lebanese Red. I won't know how they taste until the figs ripen.
          Last edited by FigMomFL; 06-30-2015, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• fitzski
            fitzski commented
            Editing a comment
            ok, thanks. I'll have to see if he's selling direct next year. I prefer not to do the eBay auction unless they have "buy it now" buttons.
        Working...
        X