• ALMOST Ready For the New Season

Containers: check
    Bags of chunky perlite: check
    Expanded shale: check
    Mulch: check
    1/8" hardware cloth to screen everything: check
    Trees needing to repotted breaking dormancy: check
    Warm weather: UGH!!!

Depending on which site one looks at, we are supposed to lows between 25 and 33F with rain and a chance of snow for the next few days. The trees will not wait so I suppose I will do root work in the wet cold. Fortunately, I'll have a natural mister for the bare roots.
    Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
    N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

A lot of us in the mid-atlantic and northeast are way behind too. Most container figs still haven't leafed out although they have been thinking about it for a couple weeks. Who knows when the in-gorund figs will come out of dormancy. Fortunately, I do have the root-pruning and up-potting phase behind me though!
    Steve
    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
    WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Threw my 10 year olds out yesterday - some had broken bud and grown out breba in the garage recently. Shouldn't see anything below 40 F again until Fall. Worked over my garden and cleared everything for compost ammendments and tilling. Hopefully have some things seeded next week and tomatoes etc in 1st week of May.

My list looks similar to yours - scored some cheap containers from Craigslist too. I don't mind removing duct tape labels like "sherbert kush" off of a pot that is selling for pennies on the dollar that it normally retails for.

Also doing blood meal for nitrogen boost, lawn lime for magnesium and calcium, and a dash of mosquito bits to curb any fungus gnat action.
      RI Zone 6a
      Container Herder

Comment

Spring is here! All my in-grounds are in full growth as are my potted ones. Now it just needs to quit raining so I can get something done. My tomatoes are planted and are nearly a foot tall which is way behind others that rolled the dice and planted early successfully.
        Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

• drphil69
          drphil69 commented
          Editing a comment
          I need to move south!! LOL, my tomatoes have just sprouted, indoors. Won't be planted until mid-May.

• Gina
          Gina commented
          Editing a comment
          I planted 4 tomatoes in 5 gal pots against reflecting windows a few months ago. I've been picking ripe tomatoes for 2-3 weeks. Early Girls.

• Yeehova
          Yeehova commented
          Editing a comment
          Spring is here too! Tomatoes are in ground and all of my figs are budding or leafing out. The azaleas are at their peak right about now.

I'm ready for Spring and my trees are ready but........ The fig shuffle isn't over yet for me. We can still have frost until mid May. Then I'll be able to put all the trees in their summer vacation spots. Until then they need to stay close to the garage for emergency evacuation, which takes about 30 minutes to move all the pots.
        Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
        Tony
        Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
          Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
          N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

• Harborseal
            Harborseal commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, Colorado is sooooooo much better than TX...

Mine are still in the unheated garage with gre
          en tips showing. Those in greenhouse have brebas ....still too cold in the night/mornings to bring them out as the brebas will abort. The breba crop to me is vital as I don't need to deal with fruit flies plus I am into another hobby when the main crop ripens.

Comment

James I don't want to see anymore of that 4 letter white stuff until winter. We had more than our share.
            Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
            Tony
            Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

My container figs have just started to leaf out this week due to the outdoor temps being in the 60's and the GH temps being in the 80's most days for the past couple weeks. My in-ground fig is not even thinking about leafing out. All the snow in my backyard is finally gone and it looks like nighttime temps will finally be above freezing (hopefully until Oct).
              Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Working...
              X