X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooted,no open bud,direct sunlight?

I am curious about the "baby tree in direct sunlight" curling leaf, acclimating the tree to the sun. Do the leaf curl because the came out from under man made light and into strong sun light? A few of my planted in ground no pot trees are starting to bud and open (as they have for years) even on the greener branches that are new.. They have been buried underground all winter and have gone from darkness all winter directly to full natural sunlight and open and thrive every year. That being said if I had a cutting well rooted with buds yet not open could they go right outside? And open and grow as the In growing trees do?
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Whatever the buds open to they'll be used to. It's always best to get the trees into full sun before the buds start swelling if temperatures permit. If the buds are already opening you have to evaluate how much leaf is showing. If there's significant leaf showing while still inside you should move it to shade then gradually increase sun time.
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Hypothetically speaking I take my cutting out of the humidity been with all great roots and partially open or not open at all bu hypothetically speaking I take my cutting out of the humidity been with all great roots and partially open or not open at all bud it can go right outside in temps range 40-75F for few weeks until stays hot?

Comment

The ones that have roots and buds that are not open can go outside. The ones that are partially open may need a transition, slowly decreasing humidity and slowly increasing sunlight. It depends how open they are. If there's a small amount of leaf recognizable then I would do the transition slowly.
        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Grazie understood

Comment

How about a frosted non clear 30gal Rubbermaid tote outside with lid on yet well ventilated

Comment

Mike,

Still think even with a frosted tub you would still roast them if in the sun.
              Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

Agh! Ok so what do I to so they can be outside ? Set in full sun for a little then a little longer next day? I am have to buy another garage soon ahaha

Comment

I'd find a place that stays fully shaded and leave them there for a week or so. Then move them to where they get some shade for another week. If they don't show signs of stress (discolored, browning to very pale leaves), they should be fine in full sun.
                  Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

Ah okay I will try but is hard because my toenhome face south with full sun everywhere. Even ruin my couch pillow with fading. But I will try even if daily I take outside 10/20
                    Minutes I can not give up! I will do for farm and papa.

Comment

Can you put them behind something that could block out light for most of the day?
                      Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

My other fig tree I can put behind but I just wait for leaf

Comment

I think the curling leaf is because of the change in humidity.
                          Jeff in 6a

Comment

I wish it was problem but I have trees in 1gal pot in my connected garage under daylight garage bulbs that has outside air exchange so the everything is exactly the same in garage as outside besides wind and direct true direct sunlight. They are perfect in garage then outside 15 min curl or look unhappy.

Comment

I think maybe i will try make a chicken wire fenced in area big enough to place a couple trees in pot on ground and cover them with a white bed sheet and put couple slices in it to allow extra airflow. Then maybe slowly every week raise sheet higher and higher until they look happy with no sheet?

Comment

Working...
                              X