X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frequently Referenced Topics; Discussion

An index of "Frequently referenced Topics" has been pinned to the top of Our Figs Forum.

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...erenced-topics

We would appreciate suggestions for additional index titles and informative topics of discussions at this forum.
    Last edited by AscPete; 09-26-2016, 10:18 AM.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Nice idea to have all the important, cultural information in one section. Especially useful for the newer growers to reference. Just saying.

Frank

Comment

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks.

Excellent!

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...erenced-topics

I'd add a link to this thread so if people have any suggestions for topics/links to add, they can add them here.
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, its done.

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...hardy-fig-list

If you'd like to add that, go for it!
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Added, a simple summary (table) of the linked content could be added to the post...

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll see what I can do, Pete.

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      There we go.

That list is a great start!
    I think a topic along the lines of "pests" may also be helpful. Whatever the title, it could include anything from fungus, rust, fungus gnats, ambrosia beetles to voles/gophers/rabbits/deer...
    Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks.
      Agree, but It should be limited to fig specific pests and diseases.

Would anyone like to recommend forum topics for inclusion in the pinned Index?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by AscPete; 10-02-2016, 04:55 PM.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

there is an old book online with the university of Arizona "Practical Fig Culture in Arizona" found here http://arizona.openrepository.com/ar.../B077-1916.pdf
      might be a good addition to the publications section of the frequently referenced topics.
      Zone 8b Arizona
      Zone 4a Montana

Comment

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, the link has been added.

• eboone
        eboone commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting reading! Wonder what some of those cultivars are - Black Adriatic? Or just a generic term for a black common fig? Looks like back then they used the term 'Adriatic' as a class term for common figs like 'Smyrna' is a class term for figs requiring pollination

Great idea!! I'll have to read through the drip irrigation section for sure :-)

Comment

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks.

A short season figs topic would be good
      Haroon,Birmingham U.K,Zone 8ish
      W/L: Granthams Royal, Gayet,De Tres Esplets,Campaniere,Moscatel Preto,Cavalliere

Comment

Oh,and one on air layering too?
      W/L: Granthams Royal, Gayet,De Tres Esplets,Campaniere,Moscatel Preto,Cavalliere

Comment

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, an "Air Layering" index title has been added.

Pete thanks for this "Frequently Referenced Topics" index, it's a fantastic idea! Here are some others to consider adding: "Winterizing Container Figs", "Protective Structures & Ideas" with subcategories like "Greenhouses" "Hoop Houses", "Cold Frames" etc.
      Chris - Zone 6b

Comment

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for commenting, will add a category...

We need some suggestions for good posts for the Air Layering topic,it's not an area I'm experienced in as a relative newbie,anyone able to suggest good posts to go under that topic?

Comment

Grafting tips
        JLB zone 8b south Mississippi. Wish list really good figs thay don't split with all this dang humidity

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          A category has been added...

How to keep critters and birds away.

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for commenting.
          If you have any topics to recommend they can be added to the category "Disease and Pests"...

Pete,EVERYTHING you have ever posted about rooting, growing, watering fertilizing figs.Your knowledge is invaluable. some is already there but a special PETE folder would be real handy!I think you are probably a humble person not given to welcome praise, but as a clear expert(as opposed to most of us) being able to quickly read your writings would facilitate our success. I am already doing better because of your kind assistance with essential info.
        Last edited by YATAMA; 02-22-2018, 11:17 PM.
        Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST BURGAN UNK, ZAFFIRO,

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks...
          I'm no expert, just been gardening for a few years and am glad I could help.

The recommendations of threads and index categories is up to the forum community.

• YATAMA
          YATAMA commented
          Editing a comment
          Knew you'd say that! well my request appears in plain text posted above and I request the forum formally insert a PETE folder in stickys under appropriate title like;FIG GROWING ADVICE BY MEMBER PETE. About "expert" probably I misspoke.Having been allegedly"educated" in several scientific disciplines,the main thing I learned is there are really zero"experts' and what we know is minuscule compared with what we do not know at all.In fact we have no real concept of what we do not know .And the best of us simply have some awareness of what works at least adequately for our immediate survival.So,maybe the best of us get called'experts",but all 'experts"know better!As do you.Pete

• JLB
          JLB commented
          Editing a comment
          From what I've seen pete has an ability to search,collect,and link valuable information I second the motion of a pete best of folder after all his user name here is askpete

Thanks to everyone that makes Ourfigs such a great forum, I love it here 🌱
        I would like to find in Frequently Referenced Topics something about semy burying fig trees in containers a specially fertilizing.
        Thank you all 🌱
        Looking for De La Gloria.Your best teacher is your last mistake !

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for commenting..

There is a topic on partial burial of fig trees under 'Container Growing:'.
          And if a topic or thread doesn't exist you could start a new topic or add to the discussion in an existing topic / thread.

• moonlight
          moonlight commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Pete there really is nothing about fertilizing partially buried container fig trees.

Pete I would also add a link to the Fabio method in spagnum moss as well as a link to BenB in Seattles video on the fig pop method. And if u could help will or whoever runs the forum with a better search feature to search for specific topics along with searching for user names I think that would be helpful and a watch list for bad sellers on ebay thanks
        JLB zone 8b south Mississippi. Wish list really good figs thay don't split with all this dang humidity

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for commenting.
          The two (2) links have been added...

The Search function is part of the forum software and is under the purview of the Host / Provider.
          I'm not really computer savvy, still using my original AOL 'dial-up' account...

We've posted 'Good' ebay sellers, in an effort to remain positive.

Pete I am new to this forum and you are a very valuable person to it I have learned a lot from you and many other members thank you all

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for commenting.
          Members make the community.

How about adding SWD (& related articles) to the Diseases and Pests list? And/or critters ...
        Moved from SoCal 10b to N. NJ 7a

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Any links you can recommend?

How about some good video links on pruning I have seen the one recently suggested on pruning for breba production but haven't found and good videos on pruning fir main crop production or bush vrs tree shape maybe I or u should post this question as a topic and find the really good videos for frequently asked what ya think

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          A few videos have been added...
          If you find any to recommend please share the links... Thanks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk this may be good to add to frequently asked questions it's a spreadsheet on when figs rippen looks pretty good from nick40

Comment

• grasshopper
          grasshopper commented
          Editing a comment
          Link not work

How about a link for favorite tools, Grafting knifes, Pruners. Pots, etc...
        Just a thought

Comment

Sorry grasshopper i made a mistake with the link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

Comment

Hi JLB I am glad you found the ourfigs ripening calculator spreadsheet useful.

Just as a general note, you should not use the ripening dates as-is. Rather use the GDD hours in the spreadsheet as a reference to determine when something will ripen in your area.
            We covered this in detail in this thread. https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...pen-in-my-area

Comment

• JLB
              JLB commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes that's what I was figuring since most of the data is from the north east and I'm in the south thanks for the suggestions

Recommending that this PDF be added to "Agricultural Extension and other Fig Publications".
            Springfield, OR - Zone 8b
            WL: Ischia Black, Iranian Candy

Comment

Working...
            X