X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a little color to it.

Bijan posted a picture of our recent snow and Tonycm commented " please no pictures of 4 letter white stuff" because he has had his share. We didn't get buried in snow this year and I too am ready for winter to be done, but I like the looks of it with a little color added. Click image for larger version

Name:	20150416_131328.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	627.3 KB
ID:	15748

I started some of my later ripening figs and smaller yearlings in the sun room a month or so ago to get a head start. I was going to post a thread on how great they looked and how much they have grown. I have been shuffling them outside as well as the trees that are still in my garage on our nice days that have been in the 60's and even some 70's. I've even been able to leave them out some nights. Last Sunday night was supposed to be 35 degrees and I learned a long time ago that even though 32 F is freezing, for some reason we still get frost on surfaces when it is 35! So I pulled my trees in. Monday was supposed to be 67 so I wanted to put them back out in the morning before going to work, but I had to leave an hour earlier this Monday(6:20AM). Well, Monday morning I could see some frost on the shingles of the neighbor's shed and there was a bit on my truck also, but the temperature was 35F. Every time in the past I have erred on the side of caution and not brought them out under these conditions. I went for it on Monday and put them out, knowing the the temperature would be climbing quickly.
    I shouldn't have done it. It wasn't total devastation, but most of my trees took varying degrees of damage, meaning 10-85% leaf loss. What I should have done is kept them all up close against the outer wall of the sun room because all the plants that took the least damage where a couple feet from that wall. In the fall I put my trees right up against the wall for those borderline nights, I don't know why I didn't on Monday morning, I guess I thought they would be fine..that's why. Ah well, you live and you learn. I still would like to try the wall effect a little more..maybe next year.
    Interesting thing, the varieties that took zero damage were 2 unkown California varieties, Battaglia, and my Smith(Not) from JR which is probably a Verte and is on the chopping block this season unless it can change my mind.

Here are some trees post frost taking refuge in the sun room from the snow. The biggest one is Maltese Falcon, the branch on the right took about 50% leaf loss and that is it. That was also the branch protruding farthest away from the sun room. You can see the bricks outside; I just open the door and set them out on the far edge of the bricks, easy peezy. The middle yearling tree is Atreano, it took about 10% or less damage. The closest is the Battaglia, again zero damage. Click image for larger version

Name:	20150416_131549.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	15750

Here are some of the yearlings that took it in the shorts. They were actually in front of the shed you can see in the background of the above picture. Their leaves were so big I put them there so they would only get half day full sun and not burn the giant leaves. Not to mention that we had been having..and were to have more 35 mph(+) winds, also not good for huge kind-of thin leaves. Top left is Vista which lost about 75% of it's leaf. Bottom left and right are both JH Adriatic, they probably lost about 60%, those leaves were giant for trees that size. Top right is Bonita Green Unk, totally unharmed..go figure, it was right there with the other 3. Click image for larger version

Name:	20150416_132123.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	15749

Another one not shown that took it the worst was Acciano, 85%(+) leaf loss; poor girl, she was behind all the rest and only had 3 leaves but they had mostly grown outside and were nice sized thick leaves. Ah well, the stem is fine, she'll grow more leaves. CdDG was also out there, the farthest from any shelter, it took maybe 30% leaf loss but is already pushing new leaves.

Happy spring everyone!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cis4elk; 04-18-2015, 04:00 AM.
    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Thanks for sharing the photos.
    Good Luck with fig trees and Happy Gardening.

I'm currently **** free, small Daffodils are in bloom and Tulips are just leafing out. Potted fig trees are breaking bud in storage and will be shuffled out this weekend.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Thank you , Calvin, for the beautiful photos and sharing the stories. I always like a choice of your colors and esthetics!
      Good luck with the figs!
      USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Very pretty. Love the little gnome in the snow. I didn't see him the first time I looked.
        SoCal, zone 10.
        www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Nice snapshot of your little piece of heaven, Calvin. Mahalo for sharing. I have a good feeling those little ladies will bounce back.

Nate
          Faith, family, friends and figs. (Not necessarily in that order).

Comment

Best of luck with them! beautiful flowers.
            Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics Calvin. Best of luck with all your plants and trees and have an awesome growing season!

Comment

Thanks guys..and gals!
                Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Nice tulips, especially the orange ones (my favorite color). The figs look nice and cozy, staying out of the elements. I bet they can't wait to get outside for summer.
                  Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
                  Tony
                  Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

• cis4elk
                    cis4elk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Tony. I really am glad I planted those tulips, they really bring in the new growing season nice. Come to think of it, they were one of the first things I made sure to have my daughter help me with planting. She was still pretty little then..well she's still little but not for long!

Hmmm...you make me think twice about moving plants out of my greenhouse. And we have no **** threat. Even winds scare me....I'll wait til May.
                  Rafael
                  Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

• cis4elk
                    cis4elk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Haha. They are pretty tuff, but is sucks to lose ground gained. The wind was ridiculous, poor things got a really big does of stress but they needed it and they should be stronger for it..minus the leaf loss. I'm sure that will cost me a handful or two of figs.
                Working...
                X