X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i need a list of trees that do well on the high plains.
    both rdb n celeste are loved on the coast.
    neither does well here.
    they are regional figs.
    only after i bot them did i find out that they don;t work in the southwest.
    i'd like to avoid that in the future.
    susie,
    burner of trees
    high plains, maybe zone 7.

Comment

Herman’s not on here so he’s not going to hear you. When i talk to him I do it though eBay. He will answer back, you just may not like what he has to say.

Comment

• CliffH
        CliffH commented
        Editing a comment
        If anyone wants to get in touch with him. He still sometimes posts, and answers, on the Fig section over on Garden Web.

Surprisingly, one fig that is missing from the list is one that Herman2 introduced to the U.S. - Florea.
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Zaffiro, Izmir, St. Martin

Comment

• fig Lebowski
        fig Lebowski commented
        Editing a comment
        I heard He said he didn’t like it becuse it didn’t taste good, and he didn’t want a fig just becuse it was early, he wanted figs that where good.

• zone5figger
        zone5figger commented
        Editing a comment
        Florea has proven reliable, productive and reasonably tasty in my short season location, a bonus is that it also makes breba....

• jrdewhirst
        jrdewhirst commented
        Editing a comment
        I've got Florea in-ground. It seems prone to blow up in cool, wet weather. But if it can ripen fully and dry out a bit, it is very good. Sweet and lightly fruity.

Does anyone know why the st. Anthony tree was named after st. Anthony?

Comment

• fig Lebowski
        fig Lebowski commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s Marseilles white

Yes, maintaining an even dozen is an ongoing challenge for both the seller and collector. Interestingly several of the 'dozen' are also top performers in the deep SE.

Absolutes are difficult, think of it as your own personal challenge to choose the top dozen.

Recommendations like Herman's provide
      a trusted source of knowledge, for this alone a thank you is well deserved.

Johnson1
      Zone 9b
      S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

Yeah, Herman’s not on here anymore. I’ve talked to him a couple of times last year but he’s very curt with his responses and not as friendly towards folks who reach out to him as he use to be. Just a warning

Comment

Is herman only selling on ebay?
          Myfigs:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...QMA/edit#gid=0. WL: I 258, violeta, RDB, Black Ischia, Raspberry Latte, Malta black, Figo Preto, Galacia Negra, Black Zadar. Spokane, Wa. Z6

Comment

• fig Lebowski
            fig Lebowski commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe he still sells some stuff on Craigslist

• shawnjames70
            shawnjames70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmm id maybe buy a few varieties.

• cepeders
            cepeders commented
            Editing a comment
            He lives one town over from me and I just got some of his off craigslist. If you are in the area they are a great deal and he is great to talk to. (look on South Jersey Craigslist)

He just had a whole lot of trees on CL CNJ, young and 3-4yo trees. I missed out on it but a while back he had a really nice I258 in a 5gal bucket size pot. well established tree.
          Robert - HZ7A

Comment

Don’t forget I-258

Originally posted by jrdewhirst View Post
            This message is meant for Herman (hermansur on Ebay). I would have sent it privately, but I don't see his name among the members.

You are a very well-respected grower and seller. I have at least thee varieties (Marseilles Black, Vasilika Sika, and Florea) with your initials attached as an informal brand that signifies quality. As I value your opinion, I feel obliged to tell you that you may have inadvertently acted in a way that undermines your credibility.

You sell cuttings with different levels of endorsement, but the best are presented as "part of the one dozen Winners here on east coast." I do not disagree with your assessments. But precisely because I value your opinion, I have been tracking your favorites. And in recent months, I have noted fourteen different varieties presented as belonging to this dozen. Here they are, in no particular order:
            1. Vasilika Sika
            2. Marseilles Black
            3. Dalmatie
            4. Malta Black
            5. Improved Celeste
            6. Adriatic JH
            7. Col de Dame Grise
            8. Negretta
            9. Ronde de Bordeaux
            10. Battaglia Green
            11. Gino’s Black
            12. Nero 600M
            13. Longue D’Aout
            14. St. Anthony
            By my quick count, you have at least eleven of these varieties on sale now.

I doubt that you intended any misrepresentation. Maybe you were just hasty and careless. Maybe you were generously offering a "baker's dozen" (plus one) of great varieties. Just please be careful not to expand the group further without saying so. You can certainly pick new favorites. But if your Premier League contains an even dozen, then when you promote one variety, you should publicly relegate another to a lower Division and stop selling it as one of the top dozen. Thanks.

Comment

FMD
              Sorry to answer your question from earlier in the thread so late regarding Jason's Unknown Black Ischia. (I prefer to continue the original name rather than Jason's Unknown or Jason's Negretta since this is what it was originally distributed as years ago, and without genetic testing we will never be sure of identity)

Mine is a delicious small very dark fig with white specks, flavor more like a Bordeaux fig (but not identical to VdB) than a Celeste. Leaf clearly not Celeste. My original cutting was from Dan Foster, rooted in spring 2015. I do not have any Negretta for comparison. Unfortunately it has not proven very hardy in ground with protection and has fruited minimally and late the past two years, so it may be dug up this next year and put back in a pot so I get more fruit from it.

I have a post with photos in this thread, post #3: https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...varieties-list
              Ed
              SW PA zone 6a

Comment

How can we expect Herman to limit his list to 12 when we can't?
                Johnson1
                Zone 9b
                S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

Herman still selling?
                  Myfigs:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...QMA/edit#gid=0. WL: I 258, violeta, RDB, Black Ischia, Raspberry Latte, Malta black, Figo Preto, Galacia Negra, Black Zadar. Spokane, Wa. Z6

Comment

This is an old thread, and I meant the OP mainly in jest. But FWIW, I eventually found 24 varieties marketed as members of the best dozen. I stopped tracking it long ago.
                  Joe, Z6B, RI. Looking forward to next season.

Comment

Working...
                  X