X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bari

I've been debating with myself about discussing this variety, but I think it's a good variety that should have some more info available on it and hopefully a wider distribution. The finder of this variety wanted it kept quiet for a while until it could be trialled more widely and they didn't want it getting on eBay. However, they do not seem to be participating on any forum anymore and haven't responded to emails from myself and at least one other person. Hopefully this doesn't bother anyone, so here does nothing!

The American mother tree for this variety grows in Willow Grove, PA (zone 6b/7a) at the Navy Base and was planted 8+ years ago. An officer (not the finder) who was stationed at the base plants a fig tree at every land base they have been stationed at, the original tree is from Bari, Italy. The Willow Grove tree had never been protected, and (as of my info from before last winter) it never suffered any dieback. Others who have this variety said it did die to the ground during the winter of 2013/2014 (polar vortex), so it is not bulletproof!

The fruits are fairly small, purple/black skin with red flesh. They have some seed crunch and a sweet, figgy flavor. I sampled a few last year and they were tasty, but I lack the palette/experience to describe further. I do not know if it produces brebas, but once it starts producing main crop figs it does not stop until the plant goes dormant. I was pinching figlets through October last year. It can fruit after being killed to the ground.

I've talked to a couple of people who have this variety, some think it might be Mt Etna type, others don't. Whatever it is, they like it! The finder of this variety (who has an 80+ variety collection) said this is their best in terms of hardiness, productivity, and flavor.

The plants themselves are extremely healthy and vigorous. I planted a rooted cutting last spring which easily grew to 4-5' tall and wide with constant pinching and developed a 2" thick trunk. In it's first year it ripened about 10 figs (most of which ants got). More probably could have ripened but I was being conservative.

My plant died back to about 1' during this past winter. It was protected under about 18" of mulch. I have high expectations for this year. My avatar picture is this variety's leaf.

Seems to be easy to root, I took 8 summer cuttings last year and every one took.

I guess this could be considered an unknown, but I am representing it under the name I received it and that I know others use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9-8-14 bari leaf small.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	15828

Click image for larger version

Name:	9-8-14 bari small.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	15829
    Last edited by Kelby; 04-19-2015, 05:46 AM.
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Great find Kelby! Any pics of fruit or leaf patern. Is it available in any form? Cuttings, small plant? Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't find it, just sharing what I know! I uploaded some pictures. No fruit pics, I ate them, haha.

I guess the only way to get it is from people who have it. I'll try to share a lot of cuttings this winter.

• Chrisk
      Chrisk commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the photos Kelby. Very nice looking tree,resembles my Hardy Chicago as a leaf patern but not identical .

Kelby, thanks for bringing recognition to this great variety. It is definitely a workhorse fig here with very nice flavor. I have one minor quibble though - I would consider the fruit to be "medium" size rather than "small". The fruit is definitely larger than my RdB and I'm pretty sure slightly larger than Mt. Etna figs (MvsB, Takoma Violet). I'm traveling now but later I'll try to post pics.
    Steve
    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
    WL: Zaffiro, Black Donov, Izmir Texas Peach, Campaniere, St. Martin

Comment

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for input, Steve! Mine was 1st year, maybe larger fruit with age? Or I just have a faulty memory, who knows.

Bari is going to be a favorite. Thanks Kelby for posting about the Bari fig.
    Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

Took a look today, my in ground plant has buds swelling! That's surprising.
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

Another great description... stop feeding my addiction, lol!

Thanks Kelby!
        Phil
        Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

I would say they are between small/med sized fig. Great fig. I would still pick MBVS as a tastier fig. Very similar to my Dark Portuguese. My in-ground tree is on its 3rd year and it's died back ever year, but it's unprotected. As Kelby claims, the trunk gets pretty large in one season.
          Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• Chrisk
            Chrisk commented
            Editing a comment
            Great info and photos Frank. Thanks for sharing!
        Working...
        X