X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slidell blk unk cuttings and "The story" !

Ok my friends, either the new forum popped up at the right time or the Fig-did!
    A couple of months ago,I,Mrs K and the lovely little miss K, were invited to attend a very good friends wedding that took place in Orlando Florida. All excited we packed our bags ,loaded the Ram and of to the magical land we went. The night before the wedding all the guests got together( mostly family members of the bride and groom and us) for the traditional dinner. It was a very casual event! Don't think suit ant tie. Just a comfortable gathering where everyone had a chance to meet and have a great time. Oh by the way the couple did all the cooking and the food was first class out of this world!some heavy drinking was also involved but"responsibly". During the dinner we were introduced to our friend's aunt, a very nice lady named Barbara. Mrs Barbara And Mrs K , after a couple of vinos were talking up a storm when my lovely wife though it would be qute and hilarious to reveal my hobbys. "By the way" she said , " my husband is into collecting and growing......." Oh noooo I thought in a panic, not at the wedding!!! "Figs"! " oh yeah he also plays soccer" she very masterfully added . Great ,now the lady thinks I'm a complete nutcase,I thought again but tried to remain as cool as posible . " is that true" Barbara said . Yes Ma'am it is I replied, I love soccer!" Well guess what" Mrs Barb said. "I have a fig tree in my back yard"! Holly cow, whaaaaat? I thought ,and the first thing I wanted to do was give my wife a high five! Turns out that Mrs Barb is not crazy about figs but her late husband and his family just loved them. She told me that the tree was there when they bought the house seven years ago and the previous owners had found it there when they bought the house ten years before that. That would put the tree in the 20+year old category! Another important detail is the location! Mrs Barb lives in Slidell Louisiana, a town about 30 miles east of New Orleans . Long story short, the wedding was as fine as weddings get and we all had a blast. I,a little more , thinking and cooking up a plan to go to N Orleans( you guys know why!!! The darn fig) well my friends I did not have to try very hard! Mrs Barbara invited us to go to Slidell for the Marti Gras. FF to this past weekend ! Loaded up the Ram once again and 467 miles and 6 hours later(oh I know ,hemi lol) I was staring at it! The tree is very dwarf like for its age but by the appearance of the bark you can tell that it is an old tree! Very grayish with lots and lots of nodes and stuff growing on it. Louisiana looking stuff lol.From her description , dark fig with red center. We looked at pics of figs online and the one she reacted to with an "oh that's it" was the Macedonia black from the trees of joy list of varieties . Please understand that in no way do I claim to have that fig! It could end up being anything but my gut feeling is that it is a good find. Looks like nothing that I grow, single trunk ,not even evidence of root suckers, dwarf size and all those nodes! I will take a trip down there in Augast and sample the fruit, maybe even meet and share with other forum members who can help identify it.
    I gave it a hair cut and brought back a bunch of cuttings of different sizes. I will offer a minimum of 8 (according to size) for $10 including shipping and packaging! Please do not add any more money, 10 is plenty to cover my expenses! Please pm me and I will respond to all by this weekend with my PayPal address!
    I would like to dedicate the story and all the figs we will eventually get to Mrs Barbara and her late husbands memory who unfortunately passed at a very young age from the bad disease ! we had a great time at the carnival and Mrs Barb made us all feel at home! Thank You mrs Barbara for sharing the legacy and Thank you all for your time!

Chris, nice story and good offer for the cuttings. Stay warm up there in Loganville tonight !
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• figpig
      figpig commented
      Editing a comment
      So i live in slidell. Were is this tree?? Lol

Will do thanks, Mike!

Comment

I've been very restrained this winter not buying a bunch of Unks. As a reward to congratulate myself for my good behavior, I think I will partake of your offer for these Unks! (I'm gathering parts to make an aeroponic cloner, and it needs victims!) PM about to be sent.
      Cheers,
      Jim
      Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

I and my ukn are honored, thanks very much Jim! I do have a good feeling about this. LSU is right next door and the age of the tree you'll put it close to those releases! Is Smith supposed to be small framed( dwarf)?
        Mike it is brutally cold out! Just went to check the fig shed! How is it by you?

Comment

• newnandawg
          newnandawg commented
          Editing a comment
          Chris, sorry about this late reply. I missed this post. At the time of this post it was very windy and in the mid 20's. The last two mornings it was 20 degrees which was warmer than predicted. A little snow yesterday evening.

Great story, Chris! I can't imagine why anyone could possibly think you're nuts for being a fig fan, though.
        USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

Thanks Joann, we call ourselves fig nuts anyway don't we? Lol

Comment

Chris, nice story! And I, like you goes oh no, when my hubby tells people about my "hobby"/obsession. It usually doesn't end as well as your story.
            Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Thanks Von, I just got extra lucky on this one.

Comment

Great story filarako. paizeis kai mpalitsa??? den rotao omada gia na min tsakothoume lol ;-)
                andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

Chris, by now, you must be the undisputed king of the unknown fig!!! I can't wait to see roots on these beauties and get them moved the process and growing outside. Thank you for always being on the look out for new figs and for always thinking of us out on your fig finding adventures.

Scott
                  Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Great story, Chris. I'm a little overwhelmed right now. Maybe we can trade in the future, unk for unk.
                    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• Chrisk
                      Chrisk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sure thing Kevin. I would like that a lot. I hope I get it to grow so we can identify it properly and take more cuttings for future trades . How's the weather up there?

• fitzski
                      fitzski commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's 8 now with lows below 0 tonight. 3-4 feet of snow on the ground. We may actually go above freezing on Sunday for what seems like the first time this month. I had my roof shoveled off last week by my roofer. He said there were spots that had over 2 feet of snow on it. All is well though. The Unk Lenora Blk's are rooting well. Take care. Root well.

Lol, thanks Scott very much. Not the king, just a servant of the ukn(fig) . Glad you re happy with the cuttings. Don't you think they look very different from other cuttings? Color , shape, the nodes kinda tell the age of the tree! Please let us know if you agree or not.

Comment

• COGardener
                      COGardener commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Now that you mention it, they are a little different. Still the classic fig cutting look but distinctly different.

Now I'm going to have to look closer

Hey guys and gals. I ve been trying to post some pics of the dormant tree and the cuttings since the original posting with little success. The size seams to be the problem. Let's try again. Ok worked with the cutting pic. I have to resize the tree pics. By the way the first packages were shipped for a Tuesday arrival date.
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                    Last edited by Chrisk; 02-21-2015, 11:11 AM.

Comment

So Chris has done it again, first it was Lenora Park unk and now we have the Slidell blk unk. Maybe we should title him Fig Hunter, like Harvey was titled Rat Assassin
                      Art
                      St Louis County, MO Z6B

Comment

Fitzski,
                        It is OK if you're overwhelmed right now. The good thing about cuttings is that you can still get them now, put them in the fridge, root them up sometime down the road, and also be overwhelmed then, too ;-)
                        Jim
                        Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

• fitzski
                          fitzski commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I know, it's tempting the U. Lenora Blk cuttings I got from Chris are doing really well. But in addition to currently rooting cuttings i have a bunch of cuttings in the fridge waiting to root. And who knows what cuttings i'll get from UCD this year. I think next year I'm going to plan a little better.

Kevin

Hey Arthur. Great to see you here. I love the name. And this fig hunt has come to an end. For now!
                        All cuttings gone. Thank you all for the great turnout! Let's hear of the success stories of rooting next.
                        Thanks again folks.

Comment

Bump!!!!
                          Any good news yet? Here's a photo of the mother Slidell tree that mrs Barbara sent me!
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

mine are in cups with tiny leaves on two cuttings
                            Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

Mine were starting to root, so I moved them to cups. I'm not seeing any roots on the sides or leaves just yet. ... here's hoping.
                            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• Chrisk
                              Chrisk commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Oh it will happen Scott. How is the ankle coming along! Running around yet? I bet now that the weather warmed up you have your hands full!

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                            Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• drphil69
                              drphil69 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Wow, they look great Hershell!

• Hershell
                              Hershell commented
                              Editing a comment
                              They all rooted and are looking good. There is 15 of them so I will have an orchard if I plant them all.

• Chrisk
                              Chrisk commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Very well done Hershell and you're very welcome. Now you need to prep a new piece of land for your Slidell orchard( army) lol. I hope they turn out to be something special!

Congrats on your great find Chris!
                            Phil
                            Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

• Chrisk
                              Chrisk commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks very much Phil. I wish I had more cuttings left to send out! Well with all the success stories more cuttings and little trees will be available pretty soon!

I rooted 5 out of 7 in Root Riot Cubes and they are doing good.
                            newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• Chrisk
                              Chrisk commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That's great success. Thanks Mike! They seem to love GA weather! I have three little ones outside with the big kids and they show no signs of stress from the sun!

Thanks for your nice comments and updates all. Looks like we'll find sooner than later about this one! Good rooters and quick growers! I ve been enjoying similar success !

Comment

Latest pic of one of the cuttings. Very consistant single to three lobed leaf patern. To me ,looks a lot like the LSU GOLD leaf but a bit more round! Most of the leaves on the mom tree pic also look three lobed . Celeste produces similar three lobed leaves but are mixed in with five lobed . Celeste could be one of the parent trees of the Slidell unk which might suggest of an LSU hybrid! Can't wait to taste and document the fruit!
                              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Hershell
                                Hershell commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Ok, I confessed to how many I had and then newnandawg. Chrisk, you can't convense my that you only have two but they look great. I was late asking for cuttings so I am a few weeks behind you in getting them rooted.
                                Last edited by Hershell; 04-12-2015, 12:04 PM.

• Chrisk
                                Chrisk commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Lol. No,not just two ,these are the first ones I started about the same time I posted the story. I tried to be fair with everyone so I sent out the same amount more or less depending on size. I'll be posting more pics of the rest of them.
                            Working...
                            X