X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen figs seen at Trader Joe's

That's a new one. I didn't buy them nor could I see through the opaque bag, but they said green figs with red insides. Perhaps frozen is a way for non growers to get better figs than the unripe ones sold as fresh fruit.
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

They are from Turkey. I tried them. Gross and slimy imho. A lot of people freeze their extra figs in autumn. I tried this as an experiment, putting them in sealed ziploc bag. Again, gross and slimy. I am not sure if there is a better way to preserve them. I'll stick with fresh.
    Rafael
    Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

I had been thinking I should get some just to see.. But after your report, I won't. They sound horrible.

If I ever get too many, I'm planning on slicing and dehydrating them. Maybe this year. I hope.
      SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

I'm with Rafael on this one. An attempt to freeze a zip lock of Celeste figs last September ( so I can bring to NY for my sis in law ) was a total failure! Dried, yes, frozen , never ever again!

Comment

Yeah Chris I will stick to making caramelized figs as the best way to preserve them for winter. Nothing beats fresh, too bad our season is so short, really just 6-8 weeks of heaven.
          Rafael
          Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

• Kelby
            Kelby commented
            Editing a comment
            Please elaborate on this?

• Rafaelissimmo
            Rafaelissimmo commented
            Editing a comment
            Kelby what is your question? U want the recipe for Caramelized figs?

• GregMartin
            GregMartin commented
            Editing a comment
            If Kelby doesn't I do!

Wait a tick. Of course frozen figs taste poorly, but it is an effective way to store them for use in preserves, cakes, pies, beer etc etc etc. I do it all the time with Celeste and Alma.
          Frank Tallahasee 8B
          North Florida Figs

Comment

I'm with Frank...
            I enjoy frozen figs with ice cream (Vanilla), other than fresh its the only way I like to eat figs.
            Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Fig Food Fight!

Clean-up in aisle 7!

SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

• Taverna78
                Taverna78 commented
                Editing a comment
                They're so soft they wouldn't stay together attempting to throw them ahahaha

My granddaughters spotted them at Trader Joe's last week, too. Thanks for the warning -- I'm glad I didn't buy them!
              USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

Food fight indeed.
                LOL...let it be known that I will defend the honor of the lowly frozen fig wherever and whenever it is attacked!
                Why don't you all go back to picking on the true horror of the fig world, the under-ripe BT sold in supermarkets.
                Frank Tallahasee 8B
                North Florida Figs

Comment

Frank, as defender of frozen fig honor, what is your recommended first use for them? I picked up two bags of these with naïve optimism and they are yucky. The only reason I didn't toss them was because I figured they'd be good to cook with.
                  Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

• FMD
                    FMD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes...used for cooking is the way to go. My wife made some incredible tasting fig brownies using some of my frozen alma purée recently. They disappeared in a flash.

• GregMartin
                    GregMartin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dang, sounds great Frank. Recipe?

I freeze them for baking and they turn out very nicely. I would also use them for preserves. Thawing them out and baking on, say, pizza isn't great - the consistency is ruined. As well as fresh eating. But for baked goods, I'm all about freezing!
                  Arne - Northern NJ - Zone 6A

Comment

Thanks Arne, you saved a pizza from being wrecked in Maine!
                    Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

Arne - Northern NJ - Zone 6A

Comment

I am with the meh crowd. I tried the TJ's figs, gross and slimy. The best thing after the fresh figs is the sun dried I can buy any day at a Whole Foods. They are very large and quite juicy and you can pick the nicer looking figs yourself . The local ethnic Armenian stores sell the prepackaged figs too but those are super at the end of the summer/fall when they are fresh. They dry up a lot as they sit on the shelf for long.
                        USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

I'm headed that way this afternoon...I'll try it..once (or twice)...sounds like a cooking additive

BTW....I was raised on canned Kadota figs from Mermers (grandmother's) back yard....fabulous...with a little cinnamon in the canning syrup or plain, either way....really great....addiction at a young age...

food fight indeed
                          Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Bought them, ate some of them. .. tossed the rest.

Won't do it again!!
                            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
                              Rafaelissimmo commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Exactly my experience!

• COGardener
                              COGardener commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Maybe made into something, but not as is.

The Trader Joes frozen figs are hard to take on their own -- they are very, very sweet and taste a bit off. They actually taste much better when they're frozen. They're good mixed in with a smoothie or mixed in yogurt -- something to take the sweet edge off.
                            ...I'll have to try them on vanilla ice cream -- that's a good idea, Pete.
                            Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

I bought 3 bags last year and ate 1 fig. They were awful! I'll have to try the rest in a cake or waffle batter. Thanks for the info, Frank! I wouldn't put them in ice cream, they taste bad. Mine weren't sweet at all.
                              Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Is a joke.. These are insult to fig.. Taste like my fig tree has diarrhea and poop out these slimy nasty things....
                                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                                Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                                1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                                2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

My wife surprise me tis morning with coffee toast and tis! And trader joe redeem them self for nasty frozen fig! Very good!
                                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                                  Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                                  1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                                  2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Working...
                                  X