X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fig Rust Prevention and Control

Fig rust is predominant in Humid areas and often defoiliates fig trees, but rarely kills them. There are no Fungicides that are "Labeled" specifically for figs, but any of the normal fungicides labeled for fruit trees can and will work to stop or reduce infection. I've Used Bonide Copper Fungicide, Bonide Sulfur Fungicide and have tried Neem Oil (all Certified Organic). They have all worked to stop the spread in inoculated leaves, but IMO, the Copper Fungicide has been the most effective. There are a few simple measures that can reduce infection.

1. Removal and disposal of fallen leaves and debris.
    2. Keeping the leaves dry when watering.
    3. Pruning the trees or bushes to an "open center" for better air circulation.
    4. Early spraying of leaves, at first signs of inoculation to stop the spread of the fungus.

Click image for larger version

Name:	d4ac843a.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	15921 Click image for larger version

Name:	fig-rust-2.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	15920 Click image for larger version

Name:	FigRust.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	15919

Photos: by www.Ourfigs.com forum member eboone
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1941621.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	15975 Click image for larger version

Name:	1941955.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	15976

Fig Rust:
    http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonly...ustHIGHRES.pdf
    http://lyra.ifas.ufl.edu/LyraServlet...y.ifas.ufl.edu
    http://plantdiseasehandbook.tamu.edu...uit-crops/fig/
    http://plantpath.caes.uga.edu/extens...onfigrust.html

Fungicides:
    https://www.extension.purdue.edu/ext...bp/bp-69-w.pdf
    http://www.pssurvival.com/PS/Mold/Co...icide_2010.pdf

Please comment with any additional info and your prevention methods.
    Last edited by AscPete; 04-20-2015, 09:57 AM.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Thanks for posting this up a while ago Pete, Im going through this now and will go grab some of the Bonide Copper Fungicide.
    2017 Wishlist:CDDG, CDDN, CDDB, CDDR, Figo Preto, i-258, Pastilliere Dauphine, Figoin, Cavaliere, Any Bordissot's Thank you!

Comment

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome.
      Don't forget to spray the underside of leaves, that's where the Rust spores are produced

• LouNeo
      LouNeo commented
      Editing a comment
      I went in with the spray bottle from home depot used the whole bottle... ordering the concentrate now and will be able to get the undersides better with the sprayer than with the bottle. Fingers crossed, im just happy to see that it doesnt seem to kill the plant.

There are a few advantages of living in a semi-arid area, when you all first stared talking about rust I had to look it up. I hope you are able to knock it out fast Lou.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Hello. I am puzzled by fig rust and the use of Liquid Copper as fungicide. Would anything indicate that applied to the Figs in spring would make fruit un eddible. Im wondering because information on how to treat fig rust is not very clear for the regular home gardener
      SA TX Zone 8b WL: Besides knowing what I am doing: MIB, Ischia Black, CC, CLCB, Socorro Black & CdDG

Comment

Other options ranked by increasing cost.

Daconil, an inexpensive general purpose fungicide. Home Depot

Serenade, a bio engineered bacteria that produces streptomycin which is antifungal.
        Home Depot

Azoxystrobin, a highly effective but pricey fungicide. Now off patent and available in several products.

In Florida the heavy rains are a haven for fig rust. Besides cleanliness, ample airflow and sunshine helps. Sprinkler systems make it worse.

I personally have used Serenade and know individuals who use the other two options I have listed. To my knowledge none are approved for use on figs. Likely because the market size is too small to justify getting approvals.

The Bonide liquid copper is a liquid soap complex containing copper. Personally I'm not enthusiastic about a copper soap inhaled deep into the lungs. I recommend a charcoal respirator for all the products.

Many products recommend thoroughly wetting both top and bottom of the leaf.
        Johnson1
        Zone 9b
        S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

• FigLOVIN
          FigLOVIN commented
          Editing a comment
          Great info. Thanks a lot

Natural remedy: 8-aspirins ground-up, 3-tablespoons of baking soda and 1-gal of water. Good option if you only need a tiny bit of spray.
        Oregon City, OR (Zone 8b) by Portland.

Comment

• FigLOVIN
          FigLOVIN commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks a lot aTG! That sounds much like a plan
          TahomaGuy2

• ramv
          ramv commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like an excellent idea. Have you had this work?

I hope we dont get wet and rainy season this year, it was brutal for my fig trees last year, and was one of the worst seasons in a while. I will experiment with two different solutions and compare results. As of now bonide copper is my go to for this issue.
        MJ
        Chicago Zone 5
        Fig Collection

Comment

Great Thread! It’s always disappointing to have beautifully vibrant green leaves turn brown and crispy. It spreads like wild fire even with manual defoliation of infected leaves. I’ll try the copper fungicide this year so my figs have a chance to ripen. Thanks!
          Southwest TN, Zone 7B
          Wishlist: Planera, White Madeira #1

Comment

Working...
          X